GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alumnae Initiation (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   Sponsor For AI?!? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=147542)

pureblyss 04-20-2015 11:25 PM

Sponsor For AI?!?

Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking into joining a sorority as an alumna but I'm kind of stuck in a situation.
I know that you need a sponsor and I "had" one until I was just recently informed that she had dropped from her sorority. This was the same one I was trying to join and now I am left with no one to be my sponsor.
I wasn't able to join in college because of finances. I just recently graduated and was so excited to join through Alumnae Initiation so I'm scrambling to find information/people that could be helpful.

Any advice on this would be really wonderful! I haven't gone through all the threads on this subject so if anyone link me to something useful, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

33girl 04-20-2015 11:31 PM

Was your sponsor someone who was still in college? I only ask because it's relatively rare for someone who's an alumna to outright terminate from her sorority. (I am assuming you are talking about an NPC group)

Your best bet is to get to know women who are involved in things that interest you and through that meet sorority alumnae.

pureblyss 04-20-2015 11:44 PM

Thank you for your response!
Yes, she is still in college. She didn't give me a particular reason for why she dropped and I didn't want to press her too much on it. She was my roommate when I studied abroad my junior/senior year and it was a surprise that she was in the same sorority I had been really interested in. Other than one other person I know who is in a different sorority, I don't really know anyone else in the one I'm particularly interested in.

Would volunteering through a sorority be a good way? Or do I have to be a member of the group to even volunteer?

andthen 04-21-2015 08:26 AM

It might be a bit weird, unless you have some super unique skill set that would fit in with the sorority you were interested in via your friend. That's not to say its impossible, but groups may have have differing requirements on who can volunteer and in what particular capacity as far as non-members go.

I don't know how far the AI path you were on, but for the sake of full disclosure, its something that isn't necessarily a common occurrence, and the process can sometimes take a while, if it even happens for an individual. Please also keep this in mind too if your friend hadn't told you this before alumnae membership and AI are quite different from the collegiate experience.

AZTheta 04-21-2015 11:15 AM

First, this is an NPC sorority?

Next, please do your research. There are many, many threads on GC about AI.

There's no shortcut. And discretion is key. There was a recent thread (within the past year) from a woman going through AI and I suggest you read that one very carefully.