GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=74790)

kddani 02-08-2006 07:13 AM

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire

Saw this in another discussion group:

I-Team: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Under Fire

Tuesday February 07, 2006 5:25pm Reporter: Andrea McCarren

TONIGHT, A MONTH-LONG ABC7 INVESTIGATION UNCOVERS AN ALLEGED FINANCIAL
SCANDAL AT A SORORITY BASED IN D.C.

UNDER SCRUTINY: THE EXTRAVAGANT SPENDING HABITS OF ITS INTERNATIONAL
PRESIDENT AND AN EXECUTIVE BOARD THAT MAY HAVE BEEN COMPLICIT.

Read the whole segment here:
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0206/300856.html

Senusret I 02-08-2006 07:17 AM

That's really disappointing.

AKA2D '91 02-08-2006 08:05 AM

Re: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire

Quote:

Originally posted by kddani
Saw this in another discussion group:

I-Team: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Under Fire

Tuesday February 07, 2006 5:25pm Reporter: Andrea McCarren

TONIGHT, A MONTH-LONG ABC7 INVESTIGATION UNCOVERS AN ALLEGED FINANCIAL
SCANDAL AT A SORORITY BASED IN D.C.

UNDER SCRUTINY: THE EXTRAVAGANT SPENDING HABITS OF ITS INTERNATIONAL
PRESIDENT AND AN EXECUTIVE BOARD THAT MAY HAVE BEEN COMPLICIT.

Read the whole segment here:
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0206/300856.html

:eek: :eek: :eek: :o was my reaction when I saw this yesterday! :o

Oh.My.Dayum!

kddani 02-08-2006 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91

Oh.My.Dayum!

I'd like to see the full report... i'm guessing this could be big news in the Greek world.

It's very unfortunate, but i'm surprised something like this hasn't come out before. As much as we'd like to think that all of our sisters are wonderful people and honorable, there are some that aren't.

If true, this is very very sad.

Ch2tf 02-08-2006 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire

Quote:

Originally posted by AKA2D '91

Oh.My.Dayum!

Same here. But my question is if the IRS hadn't caught on to the mis/lack of filings by the org, and the extravagant spending (according to the article), how is it that ABC7 found out enough info to launch an investigative report?

Boom_Quack13 02-08-2006 10:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority IHQ Under Fire

Quote:

Originally posted by Ch2tf
Same here. But my question is if the IRS hadn't caught on to the mis/lack of filings by the org, and the extravagant spending (according to the article), how is it that ABC7 found out enough info to launch an investigative report?
Only ABC7 can answer that question.

Sister Havana 02-08-2006 10:19 AM

That's awful. :(

KSUViolet06 02-08-2006 10:55 AM

Wait, how does the TV station know about this, but the IRS does not? You'd think if it were an issue, the IRS would be the first to catch it. The source is probably someone from inside the sorority, which is kind of sad.

DGMarie 02-08-2006 10:59 AM

It seems pretty obvious to me that someone called the newstation and leaked the story. That's how it usually happens. I mean, someone in there knew something and felt a need to tell it. you don't get records of emails and other documents at the local library.

Ch2tf 02-08-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DGMarie
you don't get records of emails and other documents at the local library.
Yeah, I was like :eek: when the article mentioned having internal emails.

DSTCHAOS 02-08-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DGMarie
It seems pretty obvious to me that someone called the newstation and leaked the story. That's how it usually happens. I mean, someone in there knew something and felt a need to tell it. you don't get records of emails and other documents at the local library.
Has this made the national news yet?

ETA: I got the video that goes with the article. I no longer wonder if the authenticity of the story is under question.

darling1 02-08-2006 11:25 AM

this is sad

the tax records are made public for any non-profit organization through www.guidestar.org. usually orgs that make under $25, 000 are not required to file. however, judging from the comments made alledgedly by members, it could be possible that the tax information along with everything else was leaked from inside.

i think this is sad and im sure that all of the members of zeta phi beta are having a wide variety of feelings. im sure they will get through it with grace, style, prayer and perseverance.

Quote:

Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Has this made the national news yet? Would ABC17 report this before the IRS was informed? Or has the IRS already been informed?

I know there's a video to go with the article on this news story. I have only read the article. I assume the authenticity of this story has already been checked.

Rudey 02-08-2006 11:32 AM

I thought this would be about a game show or maybe an MTV show.

Anyway, wouldn't 400K be a lot of money for an organization to just lose? If they don't have houses and real estate to worry about you would think that's something that wouldn't go unnoticed.

Also this is my favorite quote:

"Why would you buy wigs? I've never seen her in a wig. That makes me wonder who was benefitting from all of this. Who are the wig-wearers?"

-Rudey

DSTCHAOS 02-08-2006 11:35 AM

Re: this is sad

Quote:

Originally posted by darling1
the tax records are made public for any non-profit organization through www.guidestar.org. usually orgs that make under $25, 000 are not required to file. however, judging from the comments made alledgedly by members, it could be possible that the tax information along with everything else was leaked from inside.

i think this is sad and im sure that all of the members of zeta phi beta are having a wide variety of feelings. im sure they will get through it with grace, style, prayer and perseverance.

I agree. Based on the news report there are people on the inside who felt betrayed and helped them with the investigation. That's how it's supposed to be, though. We're talking about a federal offense and this isn't the time to play coy in the name of sisterhood if you have insider scoop.

I also agree that the ladies of Zeta will get through this with grace. That is evidenced by how they have generally remained silent on this matter. :)

darling1 02-08-2006 11:42 AM

Re: Re: this is sad

betrayal is probably one of many feelings had and rightly so. this is rough. i would really be surprised if any woman from the organization would make a comment particularly on a message board.

Quote:

Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
I agree. Based on the news report there are people on the inside who felt betrayed and helped them with the investigation. That's how it's supposed to be, though. We're talking about a federal offense and this isn't the time to play coy in the name of sisterhood if you have insider scoop.

I also agree that the ladies of Zeta will get through this with grace. That is evidenced by how they have generally remained silent on this matter. :)