GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   FL Gov. DeSantis signs law punishing student 'indoctrination' at public universities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247824)

ASTalumna06 06-23-2021 02:09 PM

FL Gov. DeSantis signs law punishing student 'indoctrination' at public universities

https://www.businessinsider.com/desa...rsities-2021-6

Quote:

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida on Tuesday signed legislation requiring the state's public colleges and universities to survey students, professors, and staff members about their political views in an effort to crack down on intellectual "indoctrination" on campuses.

DeSantis, a potential 2024 presidential contender who's closely aligned with former President Donald Trump, threatened to cut funding from state universities that he determines don't promote "intellectual diversity."
The bill says the annual surveys would assess "intellectual freedom and viewpoint diversity" and determine "the extent to which competing ideas and perspectives are presented" and whether students, professors, and staffers "feel free to express their beliefs and viewpoints on campus and in the classroom."
The law is part of a broader right-wing drive to push back on progressive influences in education. Republican lawmakers across the country have pushed to prohibit the teaching of The New York Times' 1619 Project, about the history of slavery, and of critical race theory, both of which have been banned in Florida's public schools.

The governor signed two other education bills on Tuesday mandating new civics and "patriotism" education requirements in Florida's K-12 schools, including teaching about the "evils" of communist and totalitarian governments.
What could go wrong?! :rolleyes:

Anyone here going to school in Florida or know anyone who is? I'd be very interested to know what questions are included in this survey.

Cheerio 06-23-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2485528)

Anyone here going to school in Florida or know anyone who is? I'd be very interested to know what questions are included in this survey.

Governor DeSantis, there have always been two sides to every coin.

PGD-GRAD 06-23-2021 10:18 PM

I swear….I lived through the ‘60s and saw a myriad of GOOD PEOPLE beaten, jailed, shot dead. We marched and demonstrated against the war, voting discrimination, segregation and more.
I NEVER imagined in my lifetime I would live to see anything like what has unfolded in the last 4+ years.

And now—THIS. I’d love to think the current generation has the will and strength to beat back this kind of “mind control” but—I honestly don’t know. Some days I’m hopeful; other days I’m truly in despair.

Anybody else feel even remotely this way…?

Shellfish 06-24-2021 01:24 PM

He went to Yale, surprisingly, not a very long time ago. Does he think that somehow he magically eluded this indoctrination?

Kevin 06-24-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellfish (Post 2485542)
He went to Yale, surprisingly, not a very long time ago. Does he think that somehow he magically eluded this indoctrination?

He doesn't believe any of this. It's just about staying in power at any cost.

Cheerio 06-24-2021 06:50 PM

You can tell he doesn't believe any of it, because he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

AnchorAlum 07-04-2021 09:40 PM

Do any of you live in Florida?

Cheerio 07-05-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2485528)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlum (Post 2485685)

It's not only about the questions being asked but whether answers to those questions will then be misused, against schools whom politicians have some type of intellectual grudge.

Unnecessary fear, loathing and worry about 'indoctrinations' which do not exist can easily be promoted to some constituants by political powers in situations like this.

Universities not only require persons to present and explain their different points of view, but to defend them. It's part of the intellectual process to do so. A politician labeling mind-broadening discussions and inquiries as indoctrinations is misguiding constituents and mislabeling what education is and does.

Maybe all 'liberals' currently employed and educated at these Florida schools need to omit answering these surveys, thereby skewing the answers toward the conservative side and leaving Florida politicians happier at the survey results.

Kevin 07-06-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlum (Post 2485685)

We had a similar bill passed in Oklahoma.

ASTalumna06 07-08-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheerio (Post 2485696)
It's not only about the questions being asked but whether answers to those questions will then be misused, against schools whom politicians have some type of intellectual grudge.

Unnecessary fear, loathing and worry about 'indoctrinations' which do not exist can easily be promoted to some constituants by political powers in situations like this.

Hence my sarcastic question: What could go wrong? ;)

I wonder if part of what they're aiming for is determining which schools are more conservative so as to focus on those areas during elections - sending people to push voter registrations, placing additional manned ballot drop boxes on and near those campuses, etc.

Also, I just came across this statement to the Kentucky interim Joint Committee on Education by Commissioner Jason E. Glass.

https://www.kentuckyteacher.org/news...9_2zlhhcviTfis

Not only did he say why Kentucky should not move forward with laws similar to those currently being passed in other states (to ban CRT), but he briefly explained the potential repercussions, stood up for the educators in his state, and provided a solution and compromise.

Bravo!

Cheerio 07-08-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 (Post 2485740)
Also, I just came across this statement to the Kentucky interim Joint Committee on Education by Commissioner Jason E. Glass.

https://www.kentuckyteacher.org/news...9_2zlhhcviTfis

Not only did he say why Kentucky should not move forward with laws similar to those currently being passed in other states (to ban CRT), but he briefly explained the potential repercussions, stood up for the educators in his state, and provided a solution and compromise.

Bravo!

Thank you very much for linking/posting this information. Worthy and important reading!

jolene 08-02-2021 11:14 PM

I miss the days of professors not trying to tell me how to think and let me figure out things on my own. Now, neutral, moderate, or slightly conservative opinions are not allowed. My bro in law did get punished when at uni for a paper he wrote that the professor didn't like due to point of view. He took it to the department and won.

carnation 08-03-2021 06:17 AM

My youngest sons have had to deal with the professors not liking their opinions. Apparently. one professor downgraded several students' papers for this and there was a protest to the dean. The professor lost.

honeychile 08-03-2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2486088)
I miss the days of professors not trying to tell me how to think and let me figure out things on my own. Now, neutral, moderate, or slightly conservative opinions are not allowed. (snipped)

This.

FSUZeta 08-03-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2486088)
I miss the days of professors not trying to tell me how to think and let me figure out things on my own. Now, neutral, moderate, or slightly conservative opinions are not allowed. My bro in law did get punished when at uni for a paper he wrote that the professor didn't like due to point of view. He took it to the department and won.

Yes