GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Upperclassman Quota (for PNMs and parents to read.) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=121221)

KSUViolet06 08-10-2011 02:05 PM

Upperclassman Quota (for PNMs and parents to read.)

Hey peeps, I'm noticing that quite a few PNMs this year are going through recruitment at schools that are using upperclassman/junior quotas.

Upperclassman quota is great in that it helps sophs and juniors to get placed at schools where they previously would have had zero shot at all.

However, I'm seeing posts saying stuff like "I'm nervous because I'm a junior but it's cool because my school has upperclassman quota and I should be ok."

I just wanted to point out a few things so that PNMs understand upperclassman quota correctly:

*It's not a guaranteed bid.

*Just because a school has upperclassman quota, doesn't mean that a chapter has to take advantage of it.

As always, best of luck to the sophs/juniors/etc. I hate being the Debbie Downer here, but please keep these things in mind!

Benzgirl 08-10-2011 03:29 PM

^^^Like

AOIIalum 08-10-2011 04:31 PM

Double Like.

Upperclass quota or not, recruitment remains a mutual selection process and there are no guarantees on either side.

KSUViolet06 08-10-2011 08:03 PM

^^^Exactly, just putting that out there. I'd hate for a PNM to think it's something that it's not.

KSUViolet06 08-14-2011 03:19 PM

Bumping back to top for PNMs.

KSUViolet06 09-04-2011 01:58 PM

bumping.

IrishLake 09-04-2011 03:05 PM

There's quite a few good threads like this one that should become Stickied to the top.

DeltaBetaBaby 09-04-2011 03:39 PM

So, I had previously assumed that UC quota was determined like regular quota: number of UC PNM's signing bid cards/number of chapters. I found out this year that is far from true. So, not only does a chapter not have to use its UC quota, but even if every chapter does, there are very often fewer spots than UC PNM's.

LAblondeGPhi 09-07-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2087933)
So, I had previously assumed that UC quota was determined like regular quota: number of UC PNM's signing bid cards/number of chapters. I found out this year that is far from true. So, not only does a chapter not have to use its UC quota, but even if every chapter does, there are very often fewer spots than UC PNM's.

Is this new or campus-specific? In previous years at UCLA, upperclassmen quota was determined just like freshman quota. Last year, freshman quota was 27, upperclassmen quota was 16.
Although, upperclassmen was both sophomores and juniors, so juniors are still at a disadvantage to sophomores.

KSUViolet06 09-07-2011 12:21 AM

^^^Always thought that it was calculated that way as well.

Your post does bring up a good point for this thread, though.

At some schools, upperclassman quota includes both sophomores and juniors (like UCLA.)

However, there are schools where upperclassman quota includes sophomores only.

DeltaBetaBaby 09-07-2011 11:12 AM

As far as I know, upperclassman quota is mentioned nowhere in the MOI. Therefore, campuses are free to set it as they wish.

OneHeartOneWay 09-07-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2088914)
As far as I know, upperclassman quota is mentioned nowhere in the MOI. Therefore, campuses are free to set it as they wish.

This is my understanding as well (although I am certainly open to being proven wrong, as I've never actually looked for it myself!). I do know of at least one school that arbitrarily (for lack of a better word) selects upperclassmen quota- it has no bearing on the number of UC PNMs, as it is voted on with the recruitment rules the semester prior to FR.

33girl 09-07-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay (Post 2088959)
This is my understanding as well (although I am certainly open to being proven wrong, as I've never actually looked for it myself!). I do know of at least one school that arbitrarily (for lack of a better word) selects upperclassmen quota- it has no bearing on the number of UC PNMs, as it is voted on with the recruitment rules the semester prior to FR.

That's kind of the impression I got from here - that it was just a random number.

DTD Alum 09-07-2011 05:16 PM

At USC, for example, there is a set number of juniors that a sorority can take in addition to quota...used to be 2, but apparently now it is 4. Few, if any, chapters take more than their number even though many more juniors may be rushing, so juniors are still at a huge disadvantage and are heavily cut even with the junior quota. At this campus sophomores are not prejudiced against nearly as much as others because SC is heavy on spring admits and transfers.

KSUViolet06 09-30-2011 03:26 AM

Bumping.