GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Ghosts and the Paranormal (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=8819)

_Opi_ 10-20-2004 01:43 PM

When I was around 5, me and my older sister both saw "something" human-like, glowing, and floating beside the top of a building (adjacent to our building). We saw this from our balcony and it was way past midnight. Our nanny would not believe us.

It was definately not my imagination, because we both saw the same thing. And it still freaks me out to this day.

adpiucf 10-20-2004 01:57 PM

I went on the Haunted Walking Tour of Old Town Alexandria last night. Lots of spooky stories, but no ghost sightings!

Rudey 10-20-2004 03:32 PM

You're all a bunch of abnormal psychotic freaks.

-Rudey
--An imaginary ghost told me that wooo woooo booo boo

DeltAlum 10-20-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rudey
You're all a bunch of abnormal psychotic freaks.
I'm a normal psychotic freak.

AznSAE 10-18-2005 11:23 AM

i dont know if this is real or not, but its kind of freaky. this vidoe clip is not in english but look closely when the video camera focuses on the grave site.

click here to see the ghost video clip

adpiucf 10-18-2005 05:36 PM

Does anyone else get freaked out when you're alone in the house and your dogs starts flipping out, barking at absolutely nothing?

Tom Earp 10-18-2005 05:43 PM

OOOOOW, SPOOOOOOOKY, how far did you go back to get this and why?

Maybe Hot Flashes? Dogs have better hearing the Us! They watch out for us from the spooky things!:D

Well maybe not wicket the Yorkie!:cool:

AznSAE 10-18-2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adpiucf
Does anyone else get freaked out when you're alone in the house and your dogs starts flipping out, barking at absolutely nothing?
:eek: sorry to tell you this, but you might just have a ghost in your house. i use to work with a lady who says that her house was haunted (lights going on and off) and the dog would bark all night. they have since moved and the dog is fine now.

they mentioned the video clip on this mornings radio station and i had to go check it out and see for myself.

Tickled Pink 2 10-18-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AznSAE
i dont know if this is real or not, but its kind of freaky. this vidoe clip is not in english but look closely when the video camera focuses on the grave site.

click here to see the ghost video clip

Hilarious! I doesn't look real. It reminds me of the Blair Witch Project. The funny part is that guy screaming - (I can only imagine he's booking it out of there) "Por Favor!"

ZetaPhi708 10-19-2005 04:39 PM

Art Bell Coast to Coast AM

For those of you that are up late, try to catch Coast to Coast am on the radio, lots of paranormal discussions, especially when they have representatives from the Ghost Investigators Society on with some really scary EVPs. Try to listen to some of these EVPs late at night with the lights off.

www.ghostpix.com

Also, on the SciFi Channel, Ghost Hunters is a decent show about, well, ghost hunters.....

sigirl 05-27-2006 06:52 PM

Bumping this thread from the past!!

It was interesting reading about some of you guys' paranormal experiences. So, I thought it would be cool to keep the conversation going.

I personally, haven't had any experiences, but I do really love that show on SciFi Ghost Hunters. Any of you guys seen it?? Its pretty interesting...

litlbear1072 05-27-2006 09:41 PM

I LOVE the show Ghost Hunters. Some of those scare the living daylights out of me! Hearing the voices they catch on the EVP is what really pushes me over the edge. :eek:

carnation 10-31-2006 05:42 PM

I'm sitting here alone in the house and thinking about something that happened several months ago. (Probably because I just read the new book by the Ghost Hunters.)I was on the computer and our daughter's dog started yapping in the kitchen. He kept it up for several minutes and finally I went in there. A huge bag of cereal was very slowly being pushed out of the cupboard. I watched, openmouthed, as it inched its way out and finally fell. The dog started running around the room in a circle, looking up and yapping happily, as if he were chasing Peeves the Poltergeist around the ceiling.

I leapt up and looked in the cabinet to see if a cat or anything (please! let us have a mouse just this once!) could have pushed it but there was nothing there. I picked up the bag to see if maybe a string was tied to it, although I was alone, but no. The thing is that only about a fourth of the bag was hanging over the edge when I first saw it moving out. It didn't fall until gravity pulled it down..it had to have been pushed or pulled in some way.:eek:

carnation 02-17-2008 12:01 PM

TTT!

Leslie Anne 02-17-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 1602369)
TTT!

I don't know what that means but that story about the cereal box is FREAKY!

carnation 02-17-2008 12:24 PM

It means 'bump'! To the top!

Yeah, I got out of the house really quickly after that happened. It's the kind of thing that others would hear and say, "You imagined it," but I was THERE and saw the whole thing slowly unfold.

DSTCHAOS 02-17-2008 12:57 PM

Have any of you ever been to George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estates? If you haven't, you should add that to your to-do list because it's absolutely huge and beautiful. People come from all over the world to visit Biltmore.

Anyway, I had a creepy feeling the entire time I was in the house. Walking around the old servant quarters made me feel like there HAVE to be spirits from the past.

Sooooo...me being someone who is lightweight obsessed with the paranormal...I found a groundskeeper to talk to about it. He told me that his sister can see and talk to spirits but absolutely REFUSES to go around one of the garden houses (or whatever it is called) because there's some strong, evil entity there. He said some people had experienced some wierd things around the garden houses but he hadn't told his sister about those experiences. She knew to stay away from those garden houses without having been told what was going on there.

Then he said that years prior, an employee was closing up for the evening. When he was about to leave one of the many lounging rooms in the Estate house, he heard "leave me." Well, he was the only person there and the voice had a very late19th-early20th century tone. "Leave me" is something they said to their servants.

Needless to say, I am intrigued by Biltmore and will definitely visit again and again and again. :) It's an absolutely beautiful experience. Even if there are spirits and stuff hanging around.

ThetaPrincess24 02-17-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1602397)
Have any of you ever been to George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estates? If you haven't, you should add that to your to-do list because it's absolutely huge and beautiful. People come from all over the world to visit Biltmore.

Anyway, I had a creepy feeling the entire time I was in the house. Walking around the old servant quarters made me feel like there HAVE to be spirits from the past.

Sooooo...me being someone who is lightweight obsessed with the paranormal...I found a groundskeeper to talk to about it. He told me that his sister can see and talk to spirits but absolutely REFUSES to go around one of the garden houses (or whatever it is called) because there's some strong, evil entity there. He said some people had experienced some wierd things around the garden houses but he hadn't told his sister about those experiences. She knew to stay away from those garden houses without having been told what was going on there.

Then he said that years prior, an employee was closing up for the evening. When he was about to leave one of the many lounging rooms in the Estate house, he heard "leave me." Well, he was the only person there and the voice had a very late19th-early20th century tone. "Leave me" is something they said to their servants.

Needless to say, I am intrigued by Biltmore and will definitely visit again and again and again. :) It's an absolutely beautiful experience. Even if there are spirits and stuff hanging around.

I have been to the Biltmore Estate. I too recommend it. I also recommend a visit to their winery! I didnt have a "spooky" experience there but it reminds me of those castles and places they profile on that "Most Haunted" show on the Travel Channel.

Unregistered- 02-17-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 1602384)
It means 'bump'! To the top!

Yeah, I got out of the house really quickly after that happened. It's the kind of thing that others would hear and say, "You imagined it," but I was THERE and saw the whole thing slowly unfold.

It's so funny that you bumped this because I was just about to.

It's been raining off and on lately and yesterday the boy decided to take us on a drive up Nuuanu Pali Drive. I don't know if you remember it, but the place is absolutely gorgeous during the day, especially after the rain...because you get great views of the waterfalls along the mountain.

And then the boy decided to take us down the Old Pali Road. Normally I'd be down for it....DURING THE DAY. It was already approaching 7PM and by that time it was dark. He couldn't understand why I was making a big deal about NOT GOING even though I told him of the stories. (He's from Michigan. He doesn't know local lore.)

We went anyway and my chest felt heavy -- as if someone was stepping on it. I burst into tears because he refused to turn around. Luckily he did. There was NWIH I was going to be at Morgan's Corner at night!

DSTCHAOS 02-17-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 (Post 1602544)
I have been to the Biltmore Estate. I too recommend it. I also recommend a visit to their winery! I didnt have a "spooky" experience there but it reminds me of those castles and places they profile on that "Most Haunted" show on the Travel Channel.

I loved the winery! Their nonalcoholic juices are also good. The free samples are grrrrrrreat.

Their samples of wine are the cheaper wines. You have to buy the more expensive wines to truly get the Biltmore wine experience.

Ditto on the rest of your post.

LucyKKG 02-18-2008 06:31 PM

Ahh! Ghost stories scare the crap out of me, but I totally believe them. I haven't experienced anything firsthand that's SOLID proof, but I don't doubt their existence.

My mom and I have experienced some semi-psychic things (or whatever you want to call them). She told me that one time she thought about the pastor who baptized me, even though she hadn't seen him in years. I guess he died a few hours before she had that thought.

Honeykiss1974 02-18-2008 06:52 PM

Well I guess I will add my contribution:

My company is located in our city's old Union train station that was built in the early 1900's. When we moved into the building we kept pretty much all of the original history and architecture of the building - it still has the old Fred Havey cafe, waiting room seats, and train platforms outside. The building was built so that you could get natural daylight in all parts of the building so there are glass walls everywhere and its basically laid out as a circle - You can literally see from one end of the building to another. So this means that its pretty difficult to hide or sneak up on anyone.

Anyway, one night I was working late and as I was plugging away on the computer, I heard someone say "Tara, are you doing ok?" So I get up and walk outside of my office unto the main balcony/hallway and see no one there. I walked around the entire attrium and didn't see anyone else there. Needless to say, I packed up and went home for the evening.

This has happened to me twice. I know others have had various experiences in the building as well, such as hearing 1940's music playing faintly in the background or doors opened (when shut) and vice versa.

catiebug 02-18-2008 07:12 PM

It was 1990 and I was in college, the second summer session. It was a Friday, and my Western Civ I class was meeting (for some reason) in the library that day. It was around 10:30 that morning (Texas time) when I got the strange feeling that my grandparents, who lived in San Diego, were going to call me that evening. It was strange because they always called me on Monday nights.

A bit of backstory - my grandfather was at this point dying of cancer. My mom had come up between summer sessions to let me know he had been given six months to live. My grandfather was/is my hero; my oldest son, born in 1997, has his name. I was supposed to go out there between Summer II and Fall semesters and spend some time with him and my grandmother (he didn't want me to interrupt my school to come out and see him before the break - I have always regretted that I did not do so).

Anyway, I continued with class, and afterward,went to my job as a lifeguard at the campus pool. After work, I was on the phone chatting with my upstairs neighbor, talking about where we wanted to go for dinner that night after I took my shower and such.

All of a sudden, the phone beeped (I lived in a campus apartment and we didn't have call waiting). I told Kristina to hold on and I answered the phone. It was UPD (University Police Department) telling me I needed to call home immediately. I knew right then and there.

My grandfather had passed away that morning, 7:30 San Diego time, 10:30 Texas time. I firmly believe that when I was in class that morning, my grandfather was trying to tell me he had passed.

ZTABullwinkle 02-18-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catiebug (Post 1603271)
It was 1990 and I was in college, the second summer session. It was a Friday, and my Western Civ I class was meeting (for some reason) in the library that day. It was around 10:30 that morning (Texas time) when I got the strange feeling that my grandparents, who lived in San Diego, were going to call me that evening. It was strange because they always called me on Monday nights.

A bit of backstory - my grandfather was at this point dying of cancer. My mom had come up between summer sessions to let me know he had been given six months to live. My grandfather was/is my hero; my oldest son, born in 1997, has his name. I was supposed to go out there between Summer II and Fall semesters and spend some time with him and my grandmother (he didn't want me to interrupt my school to come out and see him before the break - I have always regretted that I did not do so).

Anyway, I continued with class, and afterward,went to my job as a lifeguard at the campus pool. After work, I was on the phone chatting with my upstairs neighbor, talking about where we wanted to go for dinner that night after I took my shower and such.

All of a sudden, the phone beeped (I lived in a campus apartment and we didn't have call waiting). I told Kristina to hold on and I answered the phone. It was UPD (University Police Department) telling me I needed to call home immediately. I knew right then and there.

My grandfather had passed away that morning, 7:30 San Diego time, 10:30 Texas time. I firmly believe that when I was in class that morning, my grandfather was trying to tell me he had passed.

I had a similar experience when my grandmother passed away. I woke up (as did many other of my cousins) about the same time she had passed away in the middle of the night. My boyfriend at the time was all sorts of confused as to why I was rambling at that time of the morning (it was around 1 am). I found out that next night while at work.

DSTCHAOS 02-25-2008 10:08 PM

Am I the only one who watches the paranormal show on A&E?

I love this show. Even if it isn't the most impressive "ghost chasers" show on TV, the older "ghost whisperer" dude with the twang and earrings always cracks me up with his speech and mannerisms.

They are using a new tool called Frank's Box that is considered a telephone to the dead. Woohoo!

Dionysus 02-25-2008 10:10 PM

I once suddenly woke up out of a deep sleep because a ghost farted in my ear. Ew!

sageofages 02-25-2008 10:28 PM

Good "Ghost Stories"....

Almost straight out of Sixth Sense....but....my nephew talks spirits and he has since he learned to talk. He is almost 10 now. I could tell you some great stories from when he was little. It could fill a few pages here.

Also our family has been adopted by a spirit. We know her name, and who she was in her earthly incarnation and where she is buried nearby my parents house. She is a delightful, completely benevolent and grandmotherly type, who especially enjoys the grandkids my parents have...and playing tricks just so we know she is around.

The looks I get on some peoples face when I tell them stories about my nephew and "Bertie". :) they think I have cracked up.

DSTCHAOS 02-25-2008 10:40 PM

*note to self: do not visit sageofages' family*

AGDee 02-25-2008 11:21 PM

I watch Paranormal State. I enjoy it.. but I love all of those shows. I'm also on a Scariest Places on Earth bulletin board and have to point out that it is back on, on the Sci Fi channel, Tuesday nights.

ETA: There is a group petitioning Sci Fi to get them to bring SPOE back into production. They are showing the original shows, in the order that they aired.

Honeykiss1974 02-25-2008 11:51 PM

I loved Scariest Places On Earth! I do hope they bring that back - it was very entertaining. "A Haunting" that comes on Discovery Channel is good too but it's dramatizations of actual, documented cases (and not a reality-type show).

I'm sorry but I can not get into Paranormal State. It's hard to explain or put into words but it just isn't "right". I can not watch it at all.

Scully 02-26-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1607587)
Am I the only one who watches the paranormal show on A&E?

Yes! Silly me, of course I watch it at 10pm by myself after the hubby goes to sleep. Then go to take a shower and freak myself out by thinking I'm going to see apparitions behind the curtain or in the foggy mirror! I'm like, if something paranormal hasn't happened by now in my house, it probably won't anytime soon. But I'll never say never!

DSTCHAOS 02-26-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scully (Post 1607841)
Yes! Silly me, of course I watch it at 10pm by myself after the hubby goes to sleep. Then go to take a shower and freak myself out by thinking I'm going to see apparitions behind the curtain or in the foggy mirror! I'm like, if something paranormal hasn't happened by now in my house, it probably won't anytime soon. But I'll never say never!

LOL. It becomes a mind over matter thing after awhile. You're waiting to hear or see something and then your mind eventually obliges.

That show spends more time cracking me up with the older dude with the earrings but it does have some interesting background stories sometimes.

sageofages 02-26-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1607614)
*note to self: do not visit sageofages' family*

Seriously....I watched a baby bottle float across the room (at least 5 feet) from the dresser where I put it, to my daughter in her crib screaming her head off she wanted it. I was trying to get her jammies out of the dresser and daughter was going to have to wait to get the bottle. I guess Bertie just didn't want to see the little heart breaking.

Freaked the heck out of me (you should have heard me shriek for my family).....but after a while...you get used to *weird* stuff like that all the time. Bertie is a wonderful spirit really.

ForeverRoses 02-26-2008 02:39 PM

Athens, Ohio is supposed to be incredibly haunted. My sorority house in particular was supposed to be haunted by a ghost named Nicodemus. THe house was a stop on the underground railroad and the legend was that Nic was killed protecting other escaped slaves from slave catchers.

Anyway, the middle room on the 3rd floor was supposed to be the really haunted one, so when it came time for room picks, noone high on the list wanted it, so my roommate and I chose that one- it was a really big double with two huge closets. Anyway, nothing really big ever happened to us, other than the fact that I discovered my roommate was nuts. But I don't think Nic had anything to do with that!

We did occasionally have lights flicker or whatever but we would just tell nic to cut it out, and he would.

Scully 02-26-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1607853)
LOL. It becomes a mind over matter thing after awhile. You're waiting to hear or see something and then your mind eventually obliges.

That show spends more time cracking me up with the older dude with the earrings but it does have some interesting background stories sometimes.

Yeah, I think it's the actual encounters of the residents that get me scared the most! Like when they were filming at the city hall in his home town (last week's episode) and one of the workers set up a webcam in the meeting room - where it shot a frame every three seconds. And in the first frame - empty room. Second frame - man with a long coat standing by the table. Third frame - empty room. That was creepy.

AGDee 02-26-2008 04:01 PM

I have to DVR it every week and watch it during daylight hours, while I play Spider Solitaire on the laptop. That way I don't get freaked out.

LucyKKG 02-26-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sageofages (Post 1607606)
Almost straight out of Sixth Sense....but....my nephew talks spirits and he has since he learned to talk. He is almost 10 now. I could tell you some great stories from when he was little. It could fill a few pages here.

I wanna hear some! I like your ghost stories, because they aren't scary. :)

kellybell 02-26-2008 08:38 PM

The house I lived in when I was 3 years old had some strange things happen in it- most of the bedroom doors were heavy wooden sliding doors, i.e. no way they'd move without someone pushing on them hard. I could barely even open them at my age. I'd be napping in my bedroom and the big wooden door would slide open and shut. This happened on a daily basis in both my room and the other bedrooms. Things would also move around the house. My mom found a head of broccoli moved from the fridge to behind the couch in the living room once while she was cleaning.

The house my parents own now has only had one other set of residents, the old man and woman who built it. The portion of the house they built (it's since been added on to, and you can see the difference in the brick tone from the old part of the house to the new) is over 100 years old, and they lived there for about 50 of those years. The people who bought it from them built the rest of the house but never lived there. It sat empty because it's gigantic and very hard to keep heated.
Anyway, the side door of the house that leads into the kitchen/dining room has a small window in it. Every member of my family has seen, out of the corner of their eye, the old woman walk by the window on the outside of the house. What was funny was, my boyfriend came to stay with me for a bit over Christmas break this last year and we were sitting at the dining table. He all of a sudden said "Hey who's outside?" I asked him why he asked me that and he said he thought he just saw someone walk by the door. I didn't have the heart to tell him until after he left my house to go back to his :(

DSTCHAOS 03-17-2008 10:31 PM

I've decided that I don't like Paranormal State.

The lead "character" seems cool and I don't dismiss that some of the research thy do is legit. I just think some of the cases are too lackluster for a show.

Plus, this lady tonight was strange. They were debating whether what's going on in her home was paranormal or if it was a logical explanation. They told her that the lights blacking out could've just been a nonparanormal blackout. LOL. She was like "are your hearing me? are you hearing me? yeah...I think you're hearing me...." She said the blackout was a sign because she was asking the entity to show itself. I mean, the idiot held seances(sp) at the place so much that of course there might be something.

So the show concludes that there's a POSSIBILITY of a female entity. The lead "character" Ryan was still iffy that some of the stuff was not paranormal. That's all? Boooooo.

Scully 03-18-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1619397)
I've decided that I don't like Paranormal State.

The lead "character" seems cool and I don't dismiss that some of the research thy do is legit. I just think some of the cases are too lackluster for a show.

Plus, this lady tonight was strange. They were debating whether what's going on in her home was paranormal or if it was a logical explanation. They told her that the lights blacking out could've just been a nonparanormal blackout. LOL. She was like "are your hearing me? are you hearing me? yeah...I think you're hearing me...." She said the blackout was a sign because she was asking the entity to show itself. I mean, the idiot held seances(sp) at the place so much that of course there might be something.

So the show concludes that there's a POSSIBILITY of a female entity. The lead "character" Ryan was still iffy that some of the stuff was not paranormal. That's all? Boooooo.

I don't know..I still get the chills! But I feel like they spend more time debunking the homeowner's theories. The group basically just left with saying, "if the lights going off make her feel better and she thinks the spirit is gone, then it's ok...it was just a power outage." I hate when there's no firm conclusion.