GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   preffing bigs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=24958)

MsVixen 10-16-2002 02:55 AM

preffing bigs

well, i did it.. i preffed for bigs.. i think that was almost more stressful that preffing houses.. (specially since all i had was chi o during rush anyways... only way for me in the long run)

i did put 3 girls as my number 1 choice and would be thrilled to have any of them calling me little! big/lil week starts next week i think on sunday... we have

C: cup and candy
H: hand-me-down
I: insigna

O: owl

one letter each day with a clue and then thurs. oct 24th we find out who our big is! horray

sugar and spice 10-16-2002 02:59 AM

I agree that preffing bigs was sooo much more stressful than houses -- I ended up writing six girls down (we were only supposed to pick three) and I would have been happy with any of them.

LeslieAGD 10-16-2002 08:27 AM

Can you explain how "preffing bigs" works? My sorority doesn't do that.

aephi alum 10-16-2002 09:04 AM

Ditto :confused:

DGWannabe 10-16-2002 09:13 AM

bigs!

Not to discourage you, I think my situation was unique...
I've had three bigs and two of them sucked!
The first one was my last choice, she was totally uninvolved, we had nothing in common etc. etc. Nice girl, smart etc, but not a friend. Then my chapter was in the (in my opinion) terrible habit of "adopting" people whose bigs had graduated etc.
I LOVED this one girl and asked her to adopt me and she did, well that's the last I saw of her practically. We were such good friends and then, timing really-not her fault or mine-she was just not around. She had all this boy drama (ladies you can relate I am sure)I was always doing things for her-candy, valentines, x-mas, birthday cards, have a great week notes-you know all that stuff us girlie girls do! From her-NOTHING.
Then the month before I graduated a girl-who I am still great friends with adopted me in a suprise ceremony. She came into the sorority after me, but she was just the best!

My friend Leigh's big sister at Mercer was a huge Coke head (I don't mean coca cola either)and was bulimic and was a total ho. She was like the nicest person you'll ever meet, cool,friendly, always buying her gifts, but she'd always disappear into the bathroom for really long periods of time.....wierd.

What's even better than getting a big is when you get a little. Mine and I are so tight! During rush, all the girls whre like "I want a big/little relationship like you and so and so"> That's the highest compliment!

deltaphi94 10-16-2002 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Can you explain how "preffing bigs" works? My sorority doesn't do that.
My chapter does this...

When I was a new member, the initiates who were eligible to take a little were listed for us. The potential bigs had to be in good standing, did not have a little at that point, and were not in their final semester. (Most of my pledge class had our hearts set on someone who was graduating/ had at least one little, and there were several underclassmen who did not have a little.)

Anyway, a list of those eligible was given to each member of my class, and we chose from that list in the order of our preference. I believe we were allowed to list 5 potential bigs. Then, we returned our big list to the new member educator. The potential bigs also made a list of preference. The lists were compared and matched.

When I took my little, the new members made a list of preference, and the potential bigs got a phone call asking if we were willing to take so-and-so as a little.

Hope that helps!

LeslieAGD 10-16-2002 11:33 AM

Thanks deltaphi94! When miss MsVixen said "preffing" I thought it had something to do with talking to/interviewing potential big sisters, like Preference...not, listing in order of preference.

deltaphi94 10-16-2002 01:13 PM

You're welcome. Glad I could help! I never thought about your interpretation, but I can definitely see the confusion. I never knew chapters assigned big/little any other way until I found this site.
Oh, well... that's my sheltered little life! lol

aephi alum 10-16-2002 02:04 PM

Ah, I get it now :)

When I joined my local, bigs and littles were matched up right after rush! 5 out of 7 sisters were eligible for littles, and there were 5 new members, so we just ranked the sisters 1-5 and they matched us up.

From then on, new members were given a list of eligible sisters and asked to rank their top 3 choices. The new member educator then matched them up. The NM educator was ineligible to have a little, and you were ineligible if you'd gotten a little the previous semester. Attempts were made to ensure that all sisters had the opportunity to have at least one little unless they were totally uninterested.

ADPi~Ally 10-16-2002 02:37 PM

With ADPi, we don't have big/lil sisters. What we do is called a Diamond sister. You get a Diamond sister when u join. She helps and guides you through ur Alpha education and initiation and is there for you. My Diamond sis is awesome. I love her to death. I also am a Diamond sister. My Diamond sis is awesome too. How you choose is like what aephi alum said. Your rank eligible sisters of who u want as a Diamond sister. And then the Alpha mom matches u up. I am glad of who I got as Diamond sisters. I wouldn;t have it any other way.

Ally

MsVixen 10-16-2002 02:40 PM

sophomore pledge class listed 5 girls from my pledge class that they would like as a little and then last night we listed who we would like as a big...

ever since we got our bids we have had an "owl pal" each week who leaves us little notes and helps us keep connected to what is going on in the house ect....

the 3 girls that i want as a big are all total sweethearts... they are girls that i know i can go cry with but at the same time party and be crazy with and have everything be cool.... i am super excited... cant wait till big/lil week starts on sunday!

justhey76 10-16-2002 02:41 PM

We pref for bigs, and the members pref for littles as well. I agree it was WAY more stressful than pref night. I put my list in a day late bc I couldn't decide, and then, I took it back three times and changed the names on it. My number one always remained the same, but I had a really REALLY hard time trying to decide who I wanted if I didnt get her, and I am still stressing about it!!!!

deltaphi94 10-16-2002 02:47 PM

I hope you both get exactly what you want in a big!

LeslieAGD 10-16-2002 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by deltaphi94
I never thought about your interpretation, but I can definitely see the confusion. I never knew chapters assigned big/little any other way until I found this site.
Oh, well... that's my sheltered little life! lol

No problem...and no, you're not sheltered, per say. I'm sure most of us thought all GLOs did things similarly until we talked to other Greeks or discovered GC. That's just why it's good to fully explain certain things in your posts! ;)

CarolinaCutie 10-16-2002 04:55 PM

I think I posted this on another thread... but I am still stressed about it.

I ranked my top three, but I was 100% sure of my #1 choice for my Big... until I found out that another one of my Phi sisters had picked her too! So Big/Little week starts next week... and I am really worried that this girl will pick the other girl instead of me, and that my 2nd choice girl, someone already picked her too... and then my 3rd choice is a senior and maybe she already has a Little and they didn't tell me that she isn't taking another one.... AUGH. See my stress?

I have had Phi Pals for the past three weeks... and truthfully, they didn't impress me much. I hope I am not disappointed on Thursday!