GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Greek Trivia and Fun Facts (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=104047)

LaneSig 03-27-2009 04:25 PM

Greek Trivia and Fun Facts

I know there was a trivia quiz for NPC. This is to post fun/little known facts about Greek Life.

David Lettermen originally pledged Sigma Phi Epsilon. He depledged and pledged Sigma Chi.

At one time, Kappa Delta Rho and Tau Kappa Epsilon were in discussions to merge. They were going to be called Tau Kappa Delta.

LucyKKG 03-27-2009 05:48 PM

I'm such a trivia nerd. I'm not that big of a Greek trivia buff compared to some people on here, but my chapter is amazed at how much random Kappa stuff I know.

I wish I had a question/fun fact to put up here! I'll think about it...

KSUViolet06 03-27-2009 06:09 PM

Tri Sigma's original colors were royal prurple & moss green.

honeychile 03-27-2009 11:12 PM

ADPi once had a dragon at the top of its crest. If you've been to our chapter at Washington State University, it's on the fireplace.

joliebelle 03-28-2009 12:05 AM

One of Gamma Phi Beta's founders, Helen M. Dodge, was invited to join Alpha Phi fraternity, and even helped to write their constitution.

tri deezy 03-28-2009 01:09 AM

I always thought it was really cool that Sarah Ida Shaw (Ida Shaw Martin after marriage) was the nation president of two NPC sororities. She was one of Tri Delta's founders and Tri Delta's first national president, and then for 16 years she was Alpha Sigma Alpha's national president as a sort of motherly figure/guide. http://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/colle...ritage/history How very panhellenic of her:)

ETA: She also wrote the first 11 volumes of The Sorority Handbook.

twinkle555 03-28-2009 03:05 AM

I heard this from one of our advisors awhile ago:

AOII was founded because all 4 founders wanted to be in the same sorority. Apparently, they all rushed and only 3 out of the 4 received invites to join, so they just started their own sorority so the fourth (Stella George Stern Perry) wouldn't be left out :) How sisterly!

Gusteau 03-28-2009 05:47 AM

I'm a big greek trivia nerd. Unfortunately I can't think of anything particularly good at this early hour...

The best I've got right now: One of Delta Chi's founders, Monroe Marsh Sweetland (I know awesome name, right?), was also a member of Delta Tau Delta. Both of our letters appear on his tombstone. It's funny because before I rushed and joined Delta Chi I was trying to organize an interest group to bring Delta Tau Delta to campus.

AGDee 03-28-2009 07:53 AM

We have a helmet at the top of our coat of arms but our Canadian chapters are not allowed to utilize a helmet in the coat of arms because it depicts royalty and their history with Britain and the Queen prohibits it. So, our Canadian chapters have a slightly different version.

oldu 03-28-2009 09:42 AM

Because Delta Chi was originally intended to be a fraternity for students intending to go to law school, it was non-exclusive. Several of its founders and early members belonged to other fraternities at Cornell. In addition to the Delt at least one was a D U.

Forgotten Zeta 03-28-2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 1794884)
We have a helmet at the top of our coat of arms but our Canadian chapters are not allowed to utilize a helmet in the coat of arms because it depicts royalty and their history with Britain and the Queen prohibits it. So, our Canadian chapters have a slightly different version.

that's pretty wild, we also have a helmet on the top of our COA, i'll have to check to see if our canuck brethren are allowed to have it on theirs.

Elephant Walk 03-28-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 1794884)

I think it's obvious, but to my knowledge that's the case with most fraternities/sororities in Canada.

AGDee 03-29-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1795062)
I think it's obvious, but to my knowledge that's the case with most fraternities/sororities in Canada.

I'm not familiar enough with other coats of arms to know that very many had helmets, particularly those with chapters in Canada. Good to know that there are others as well.

CougarGrad 03-30-2009 12:20 AM

Alpha Phi's original colors were blue and gold. In 1879, the colors were changed to the more distinctive silver and bordeaux after learning that a men's fraternity had adopted blue and gold for its colors. The men's fraternity? Delta Upsilon.

magichat 03-31-2009 08:49 AM

PKA and Kappa Sigma were founded across the quad from eachother.

PKA and Sigma Nu discussed a merger (I think pre-1900), obviously, it never happened.