GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Manda's Rush Thread - Take 2 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=45081)

Mandelion 01-12-2004 02:23 PM

Manda's Rush Thread - Take 2

Hi Everyone!

I'm back and registered for Spring Rush at Radford University, which starts this week. Rush is formal this time around and consists of 4 parties and Bid Day.

My Schedule:

Convocation Thursday, Jan. 15th 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Open House (7) Saturday, Jan. 17th 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Meet w/ Rho Delta 10:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
Waters (6) Sunday, Jan. 18th 12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Meet w/ Rho Delta Tuesday, Jan. 20th 8:30 p.m. - ?
Themes (4) Friday, Jan. 23rd 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Final Teas (2) Saturday, Jan. 24th 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Bid Day Sunday, Jan. 25th ALL DAY!!!!!

And the 7 sororities are:

Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
Delta Zeta
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Zeta Tau Alpha

jmbennett 01-12-2004 02:29 PM

Best of luck!

Sister Havana 01-12-2004 02:32 PM

Good luck! Hope you find your home!

MTSUGURL 01-12-2004 02:35 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed! Have a blast and get ready to meet some truly awesome women that you will never forget.

astroAPhi 01-12-2004 03:03 PM

Good luck girl!

HotDamnImAPhiMu 01-12-2004 03:05 PM

Good luck! Have you met any women in any of the orgs. yet (around campus, or in a club or anything?)

OleMissGlitter 01-12-2004 03:08 PM

Good luck! That is so neat that your Panhellenic has so many chapters with "sigma, " in their names!

sailboatgirl 01-12-2004 03:14 PM

Good luck with formal recruitment! I LOVE threads where there is a tri sigma chapter!

Mandelion 01-12-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Good luck! That is so neat that your Panhellenic has so many chapters with "sigma, " in their names!
Hehe, I've never even noticed that! Now DZ and Zeta look so lonely :) ...

Quote:

Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu
Good luck! Have you met any women in any of the orgs. yet (around campus, or in a club or anything?)
Yes, I went through informal Rush this past fall with Zeta and Phi Sig, and I've been to interest parties with DZ.

I know girls from every group through my major (interior design) and my involvement with ASID, but I know the most girls in Sigma Kappa and Alpha Sigma Alpha.

PKTKKG 01-12-2004 03:33 PM

Best of luck during recruitment!! You have lots of great groups to choose from. Let us know how things are going for you, and just know that we are all very excited for you and care about your happiness.

pirepresent 01-12-2004 03:36 PM

Glad to see you back Manda!!

Good luck in formal rush, can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

GPhiLlama 01-12-2004 03:48 PM

Good luck!

HotDamnImAPhiMu 01-12-2004 04:08 PM

I cut and pasted this part from a classic GC thread. I'm not posting a link to the thread b/c I don't want Manda to panic, thinking her rush is going to be like rush at a huge, greek-oriented Southern school.

******RUSH PARTIES********************

you will have to make an awful lot of small talk during each rush party. be prepared to answer these questions over & over:

1. where are you from? what high school?
2. how do you like college so far?
3. what do you want to major in?
4. what activities are you involved in?
5. what did you do last night?
6. what did you do this summer/over christmas?

if they offer you food or a drink, feel free to accept 1 serving. they wouldn't offer the stuff if they didn't want you to have it.

******WHAT SORORITIES ARE LOOKING FOR******

sororities try to select the rushees that they feel are:

1. enthusiastic about sororities (let this show!)
2. fun
3. poised
4. GENUINE is a big thing
5. dynamic
6. able to carry on the traditions and maintain the good reputation of the chapter
7. able to fit in with the current members, sharing the same values
8. confident and self-assured
9. positive & upbeat
10. intelligence

******HOW TO CHOOSE**********************

almost all rushees just sense which house to choose once the pref night parties are over and the time has come to complete the preference card. it is just a feeling of which place was meant for you. you will probably attend 2 or 3 pref night parties. at the pref party of your best sorority, the one that's right for you, you'll feel touched by the ceremony & feel perfectly at home . at the others, you'll be impressed but you won't feel that same connectedness. you should choose the house that has girls who are like you right now, not one that has girls that you want to become more like. choose the house where you had the best conversations during rush parties.choose the house where the sisters seem to get along the best, without lots of cliques within the house. choose the house that can provide you with the most opportunities, socially & for service. choose a house with a reputation that you can be proud of. choose a house where you'll have a great pledge class (you can see what your pledge class might be like by seeing which rushees are the house's pref party with you).

....... and from the same thread, different poster....

some other things that i know my ladies look for in rushees are :

~*~if they're mingling with other rushees and how they get along with them. (shows group involvment)
~*~if they're migrating to one sister, or trying to meet them all.
~*~if they know anything about the sorority ahead of time (if they took time to do research)
~*~if they take the time to see the displays we've put up. usually we put up pictures of sisters, big sis/little sis gifts (that can be displayed publicly) and information about our philanthropy.
~*~what thier reasons are for coming in the first place (if they REALLY want to be there, of if thier roommate made them come with them...although sometimes you can find a good pledge or two in this category)
~*~answers to group questions such as "why are you here tonight?", "what do you think you could bring to this organization?", "where do you see yourself fitting in with this group?" and things like that.

AUDeltaGam 01-12-2004 04:11 PM

GOOD LUCK!!

CatStarESP4 01-12-2004 04:26 PM

Good Luck and have fun!

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...milecrunch.gif