GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Alpha Order (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   KA and Phi MU? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113295)

alaneagle2013 05-02-2010 07:29 PM

KA and Phi MU?

I heard one of my brothers mention that Phi Mu was KA's sister sorority, and after looking numerous places (varlet, KA national website, Phi Mu national website) hadn't found anything saying this is so ,only thing that I can tell that can connect us to Phi Mu is the symbolism in our coat of arms. So does anyone know the answer?

33girl 05-02-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaneagle2013 (Post 1923977)
I heard one of my brothers mention that Phi Mu was KA's sister sorority, and after looking numerous places (varlet, KA national website, Phi Mu national website) hadn't found anything saying this is so ,only thing that I can tell that can connect us to Phi Mu is the symbolism in our coat of arms. So does anyone know the answer?

NPC sororities do not have "brother fraternities." Similarly, NIC fratenities do not have "sister sororities." There may be things to do with either or both group's founding that connect them, but no groups are constitutionally bound.

als463 05-03-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

When I joined, we were told the same thing. I think it stems from the fact that a few of your well-known brothers (or so I've heard) were members of Phi Mu or something. If I was home, I would tell you because I'm certain there is something in our History of Phi Mu book that discusses this. When I head home, I'll be sure to let you know.

alaneagle2013 05-04-2010 02:43 PM

Thanks!

Kevin 05-04-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1923980)
NPC sororities do not have "brother fraternities."

False in a sense... but we've hashed through this already a dozen times.

Quote:

Similarly, NIC fratenities do not have "sister sororities." There may be things to do with either or both group's founding that connect them, but no groups are constitutionally bound.
True.

33girl 05-04-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 1924668)
False in a sense... but we've hashed through this already a dozen times.

No, not "false in a sense." FALSE. No NPC sorority is CONSTITUTIONALLY BOUND to any fraternity, which is what "brother and sister" means.

atoheadlines 05-04-2010 08:30 PM

Isn't KA IFC not NIC? I here this from many chapters. Sigma Kappa guys say they helped establish Chi Omega and Tri Sigma. It might be that they brought those chapters to a certain campus in the beginning?

33girl 05-04-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoheadlines (Post 1924862)
Isn't KA IFC not NIC? I here this from many chapters. Sigma Kappa guys say they helped establish Chi Omega and Tri Sigma. It might be that they brought those chapters to a certain campus in the beginning?

There is no national entity called the "IFC."

And Sigma Kappa is a sorority not a fraternity.

Ooh La La 05-04-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1924874)
There is no national entity called the "IFC."

And Sigma Kappa is a sorority not a fraternity.

I believe he is referring to Kappa Sigma. Indeed, one of our Chi Omega founders was a Kappa Sigma.

MysticCat 05-04-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1924858)
No, not "false in a sense." FALSE. No NPC sorority is CONSTITUTIONALLY BOUND to any fraternity, which is what "brother and sister" means.

I think for lots of people, brother/sister can simply mean historical ties and informal relationships; it doesn't have to mean constitutionally bound.

atoheadlines 05-04-2010 09:21 PM

I don't know what you are talking about but on any Southern school site like UF OR Auburn it says IFC for the fraternities.

Senusret I 05-04-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticCat (Post 1924888)
I think for lots of people, brother/sister can simply mean historical ties and informal relationships; it doesn't have to mean constitutionally bound.

I was going to say this. The whole constitutionally bound thing only exists between like the Sigmas and Zetas and Lambda Sigma Upsilon and Mu Sigma Upsilon.

steelerbear 05-04-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Phi Mu does not have a brother fraternity. We do have a few symbols in common with Kappa Alpha Order, but then again, we also have a lot in common with Sigma Nu. My best guess is that the Phi Mu who designed our coat-of-arms was probably familiar with KA (or, perhaps, vice/versa), or that the Phi Mu who wrote our creed was familiar with Sigma Nu (or, again, perhaps vice/versa).

MysticCat 05-04-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoheadlines (Post 1924890)
I don't know what you are talking about but on any Southern school site like UF OR Auburn it says IFC for the fraternities.

IFCs are campus organizations. Typically, most if not all members of a campus IFC are chapters of fraternities that belong to the North American Inter-Fraternity Conference (NIC). IFCs can, however, include chapters of fraternities that are not NIC members.

Kappa Alpha Order is a member of the NIC. Chapters of KA are members of their campus IFCs.

rufio 05-04-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atoheadlines (Post 1924890)

IFC governs each campus individually. the interfraternity councils of each school is not connected one another.