GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   I wonder what would happen if... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=96712)

cheerfulgreek 05-29-2008 09:54 PM

I wonder what would happen if...

This past weekend I went out of town to visit a few museums and a couple of different zoos. While I was there, I got a chance to hold a chimp. I've never held one before. I thought it was pretty amazing seeing how intelligent they actually are. Of course everyone knows the old theory about humans evolving from apes and stuff. Well, I was reading the information they had about the chimps and other primates there, and some of the information I read said that humans are very similar to chimpanzees because they have 98% of our DNA. At one time I thought they had the same number of chromosomes we had, but they don't. They actually have 48 while we have 46.

The lady that was giving the presentation about the chimpanzees got a little irritated with me, because I kept asking her questions she couldn't answer. o.k. so I was a bit of a skeptic at first, my reasons for all the questions to her.:p One of the questions I asked her was "If the DNA sequence in humans is so close to that of chimpanzees, why do the two species look so different?" She kind of changed the subject.:rolleyes: Then I asked her again, and she said it could be a lot of things. I said "Like what?" Then she asked me what do I think it could be. I told her I didn't know, but the only thing I could think of was that the small changes in regions of the DNA that have a regulatory function probably can have major effects on the appearance, I guess. I told her that maybe chimps and humans have different developmental trajectories, who knows? lol :p

When I left the zoo, on the ride back home, I started thinking about some of the things she said. Well, if chimps and humans are so close in DNA and chromosome number, what if we were to use the science of In vitro fertilization. Would something come from it? I looked it up, but I didn't see anything.

The way I look at it is, every species has a typical number of chromosomes revealed by it's karyotype. Like in a dog. Dogs have a total of 78 chromosome as an example. Another example, would be in some deer, I do know of two species of Asian deer. They look similar in appearance but have very different chromosome numbers.

Horses have 64 chromosomes, while donkies have 62. Not the same number, but yet they can produce a mule. Of course mules are usually sterile, because genetically mules have 32 horse chromosomes and 31 donkey chromosomes, giving them a total of 63 altogether...I think.:o:)

So through In vitro fertilization I wonder what would happen, since we're supposedly so closely related to chimps. That was one of the questions I asked the tour guide lady. I think she thought I was nuts, which is why I was a little skeptical about posting this.:) What the heck, I thought it would be something to chit chat about.

DaemonSeid 05-29-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek (Post 1660029)
This past weekend I went out of town to visit a few museums and a couple of different zoos. While I was there, I got a chance to hold a chimp. I've never held one before. I thought it was pretty amazing seeing how intelligent they actually are. Of course everyone knows the old theory about humans evolving from apes and stuff. Well, I was reading the information they had about the chimps and other primates there, and some of the information I read said that humans are very similar to chimpanzees because they have 98% of our DNA. At one time I thought they had the same number of chromosomes we had, but they don't. They actually have 48 while we have 46.

The lady that was giving the presentation about the chimpanzees got a little irritated with me, because I kept asking her questions she couldn't answer. o.k. so I was a bit of a skeptic at first, my reasons for all the questions to her.:p One of the questions I asked her was "If the DNA sequence in humans is so close to that of chimpanzees, why do the two species look so different?" She kind of changed the subject.:rolleyes: Then I asked her again, and she said it could be a lot of things. I said "Like what?" Then she asked me what do I think it could be. I told her I didn't know, but the only thing I could think of was that the small changes in regions of the DNA that have a regulatory function probably can have major effects on the appearance, I guess. I told her that maybe chimps and humans have different developmental trajectories, who knows? lol :p

When I left the zoo, on the ride back home, I started thinking about some of the things she said. Well, if chimps and humans are so close in DNA and chromosome number, what if we were to use the science of In vitro fertilization. Would something come from it? I looked it up, but I didn't see anything.

The way I look at it is, every species has a typical number of chromosomes revealed by it's karyotype. Like in a dog. Dogs have a total of 78 chromosome as an example. Another example, would be in some deer, I do know of two species of Asian deer. They look similar in appearance but have very different chromosome numbers.

Horses have 64 chromosomes, while donkeys have 62. Not the same number, but yet they can produce a mule. Of course mules are usually sterile, because genetically mules have 32 horse chromosomes and 31 donkey chromosomes, giving them a total of 63 altogether...I think.:o:)

So through In vitro fertilization I wonder what would happen, since we're supposedly so closely related to chimps. That was one of the questions I asked the tour guide lady. I think she thought I was nuts, which is why I was a little skeptical about posting this.:) What the heck, I thought it would be something to chit chat about.

1. You know the tour guide has a script...u asked her questions waaaaay above her pay grade to answer...lol

2. sweetie you are thinking too hard...!!

2a. AKA Monet...where are you?

PiKA2001 05-30-2008 12:48 AM

Just do it with a chimp already perv.

PeppyGPhiB 05-30-2008 01:20 AM

Have you watched Escape to Chimp Eden on Animal Planet? It's really an incredible show, and I'll admit that when I watch it, I can't help but remark on how similar to humans they are. Even when they walk upright they resemble people.

Keep in mind that though we have similar numbers of chromosomes, those chromosomes aren't necessarily the same.

cheerfulgreek 05-30-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaemonSeid (Post 1660088)
1. You know the tour guide has a script...u asked her questions waaaaay above her pay grade to answer...lol

2. sweetie you are thinking too hard...!!

2a. AKA Monet...where are you?

lol

It's the in vitro fertilization I'm wondering about, but having the chimp carry "IT" after the egg has been fertilized.

cheerfulgreek 05-30-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiKA2001 (Post 1660106)
Just do it with a chimp already perv.

Ohhh you're so funny.:rolleyes:

Based on your siggy, you probably already did...jerk.

cheerfulgreek 05-30-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB (Post 1660128)
Have you watched Escape to Chimp Eden on Animal Planet? It's really an incredible show, and I'll admit that when I watch it, I can't help but remark on how similar to humans they are. Even when they walk upright they resemble people.

Keep in mind that though we have similar numbers of chromosomes, those chromosomes aren't necessarily the same.

I watch animal planet a lot, but I haven't watched that one. I just don't totally believe we came from apes. It's possible, but that's why I was asking the tour guide lady a ton of questions, that she obviously couldn't answer.

True, but neither are horses and donkies.

nate2512 05-30-2008 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek (Post 1660144)
I just don't totally believe we came from apes.

Cause we didn't.

cheerfulgreek 05-30-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate2512 (Post 1660147)
Cause we didn't.

o.k.

How do you know?

nate2512 05-30-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek (Post 1660149)
o.k.

How do you know?

How do you know that we did?

Darwin lied.

cheerfulgreek 05-30-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate2512 (Post 1660152)
How do you know that we did?

Darwin lied.

I didn't say we did. You said we didn't. So I'll ask you again...how do you know that?

I wasn't talking about Darwin, but since we're on the subject, how do you know Darwin's theory was a lie?

Darwin's theory may not have been a lie. Of course evolution is a theory, but not in the way naysayers mean. Usually they mean it's an idea, or a guess. What Darwin said about evolution is not only a theory, it also can be a fact. Do I agree with his theory? Somewhat, but not really. I do believe the key in understanding evolution is to recognize how it could be both. I say this because if it's looked at as a fact, then evolution is simply genetic changes occuring through time in a group of individuals. Basically a population, a species, and so on. These changes occur because we can see the changes, measure them and in many instances figure out when they happened. As a theory, it seeks to explain what's responsible for the evolutionary process, in other words, what causes these changes.

DaemonSeid 05-30-2008 09:20 AM

So what came first?

The chicken or the egg?

RU OX Alum 05-30-2008 09:52 AM

there were eggs before there were chickens

Leslie Anne 05-30-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate2512 (Post 1660152)
Darwin lied.

And, of course, he was the only person to ever look into the matter. :rolleyes:

Do you belong to the Flat Earth Society too?

RU OX Alum 05-30-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Anne (Post 1660314)
And, of course, he was the only person to ever look into the matter. :rolleyes:

Do you belong to the Flat Earth Society too?

there really is such a thing??