GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UCF ADPi Suspended Over Group Chat Contents (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246397)

Sororitysock 08-07-2019 05:13 PM

UCF ADPi Suspended Over Group Chat Contents

Alpha Delta Pi at the University of Central Florida has been suspended after the contents of their group chats was exposed - drinking, sharing IDs and paying others to complete assignments. It also included a photo of a person lying next to a toilet. *sigh*

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...2r4-story.html

navane 08-07-2019 07:41 PM

Yikes. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Interestingly, one article says that the reporting person is a member who was on study abroad and another article describes her as a former member. I wonder if she resigned and then turned in the chapter or what.

Jen 08-08-2019 12:24 AM

I never trust the word "former" when it comes to ... well, anyone non-Greek lol ... because most people assume alumnae are "former" members and you're only a member while in college.

LightnAiry 08-08-2019 04:50 AM

Both articles are correct in that she is a former member now, but she dropped after having issues with them (as we can now clearly see). She was a transfer to the chapter from another university.

PGD-GRAD 08-08-2019 10:12 AM

But once again—DO NOT POST damaging, embarrassing, illegal, immoral, etc. etc. photos and comments ON SOCIAL MEDIA, even “secure” group chats. They very often come back to bite you in the azz....

Theta1234 08-08-2019 11:55 AM

I really wonder if they followed proper channels. Typically, if there were situations like this, it would be brought to their standards committee. If you didn’t feel there was resolution, you would go to the advisors and then to your national representatives. Organizations are set up to take care of these kind of things in a way that doesn’t hurt the innocent in a chapter. I’ve seen instances where nationals comes in and removes almost half of a chapter. This still allows the chapter to heal, grow and maintain its presence on a campus. I am assuming this former member chose not to follow the grievance procedures put in place by her national organization and instead went straight to the university. I feel for all the innocent girls who will be hurt by this decision.

Rod D 08-08-2019 01:23 PM

Sorry, but other than the academic dishonesty, this is an over reaction. College students drink. Sometimes too much. Absent additional circumstances (ie; forced consumption), suspending an entire house is nuts. Once they treat non-greeks the same, maybe I'll change my mind.

*winter* 08-08-2019 02:38 PM

I agree with the last two posts. It should be handled in house, if possible. And- this isn't earth shattering, to me. I don't think it's worth Suspending a chapter over. They weren't hazing or forcing people to drink.

Sororitysock 08-08-2019 03:22 PM

One of the articles I read stated that the photo of the young woman passed out by the toilet was a member, and she was naked from the waist down. This adds even more legal issues into the mix.

Was the group chat set up by the chapter for all members to use or was it set up by a group of members for their private use? Seems to me that's an important distinction.

Just interested 08-08-2019 06:41 PM

This could happen to any chapter anywhere. Yes, every sorority has procedures in place. Standards should have been the first stop. However, I have seen Standards Boards put under peer pressure to overlook concerns. Yes, she should have gone to her advisors. Maybe she did and it was not considered as an issue as this to depends on the CAB and Chapter Council. I doubt she went to her National Organization as they would have taken action on the chapter. Going to the University was a big deal. I have a feeling she did it out of frustration. At a chapter with a size of 100 members or less , I find it is easier for them to deal with it in house but for our larger chapters a lot is covered up. I agree it is not fair to punish those not involved but were they complaint and silent and if so why? I served as Chairman of a HCB for 13 years and we have awesome members but sometimes you have a few that are not willing to follow the expectations. You need strong advisors. Some one should have seen the culture developing. And, for those of you who said this is no big deal. It is! Enough to close a chapter is up for debate.

We are under attack from people who don't think Greek Life should be on our campuses. This is not the time for "girls will be girls" or "boys will be boys" Thanks for letting me rant. Check out FSPAC and see where their concerns are for our future.

LightnAiry 08-08-2019 08:21 PM

Actually to address the girl going to standards first, she actually went straight to their exec board according to one report. But they did nothing about it and was actually criticized by one member of exec for even bringing it up.

APhi2KD 08-08-2019 08:41 PM

There but for the Grace of God... goes every chapter everywhere these days.

FSUZeta 08-08-2019 08:50 PM

UCF admin has a history of knee jerk reactions. They should've allowed the national org a chance to investigate and resolve this incident before stepping in.

Rod D 08-08-2019 09:27 PM

If your standard is college kids shouldn't drink, you may as well shut college down.

psy 08-08-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2468242)
If your standard is college kids shouldn't drink, you may as well shut college down.

I think the standard is more “don’t distribute naked pictures of other people without their consent and don’t commit academic dishonesty.”