GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rejected black rushee starts "multi-cultural" GLO at AL (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=22309)

Tom Earp 08-21-2002 06:24 PM

Dyionus, I guess you just summed it up in a nut shell:D

Yes, it is her opinion but this was a on another thread! It was drifting in to the abyass of a dead hole!

The only reason I did finally get on this thread is becaus of the rift that was brought about by this person who seems to attack everyone who is not in agreement with her personall dogma!

If you do not agree with neicy then you are wrong!

Is that true? Are you just standing up for her?

I am out of here on this dead subject of bashing each other!

Bama_Alumna 08-21-2002 11:16 PM

Quote:

"Frankly, I've had enough of the Alabama-bashing. I am a member of an NPC sorority and, as you can see by my user id, I am also an alumna from The University of Alabama. I am not a racist or a white supremicist or a nazi. I wasn't around when the Jim Crow laws were upheld or when Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote his Letter from a Birmingham Jail. "

1. Gasp! Could it be that you actually used the word alumna yourself and I was merely quoting yourself?Oh no that would be call for too much reading and for you to realize YOUR OWN mistakes.
Um, Niecy... actually it was I who wrote that first statement you were quoting, not auakl. Perhaps you should engage in a little reading and realization of YOUR OWN mistakes as well.

Also, you seem to have gotten us confused before when you replied to me and said that you didn't care about "my wife." Honey, I'm a woman... hence the use of the word alumna and the fact that I was a member of an NPC organization. If you are going to preach reading comprehension, perhaps you should study a bit more yourself.

Just an idea... as auakl said, it's a good thing we're all human and we all make mistakes! :)

Dionysus 08-21-2002 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tom Earp

Is that true? Are you just standing up for her?

No, not really. I'm not standing up for anyone, specifically, at this time.

SapphireSweetie 08-22-2002 12:38 AM

Okay... I didn't get to reply in full to Tom Earp since I was on my way out of the office, so I'm gonna do this now since I have more time.

Okay... first of all... was this REALLY necessary?

Quote:

You are one of the most racist people I have ever met anywhere!

Don't you think that in stating this statement you are also making a judgement in a similar fashion? Or to quote your own words, don't you think this just helps "propogate all of the hatred." Come on now.... you're a moderator... so MODERATE not instigate!

Moreover, don't you think in making this statement,

Quote:

We ALL do not disagree with you, but you seem to disagree with ALL of us!

that you are making a generalization that all the GCers hold the same opinion as you? Better yet, it seems as if you ASSume that we'll all naturally take your side.

Also, in light of the manner you chose to respond, doesn't it seem that you are the one attacking someone? As you seem convinced that neicy has come to do? (evidenced in the statements below)

Quote:

You always attack everyone! It is your way or not any way at all!

You are not the Joan De Arc of Blackdom, yo are the Crown of thorns who want to prick everyone on site!

Get a life and figure out the first step is to learn how to mingle with people whether The color or religion they be.

To me, it seems rather difficult to conceive these statements as a means to "help each other in a more positive way" when they seem to be attacks every which way.

Now, the fact that I'm posting this DOES NOT MEAN that I am supportive of Neicy. Nor DOES IT MEAN that I fully support Tom Earp. Rather, I am simply trying to point out how criticizing one person can easily lead to the criticism of yourself, which in turn can easily be the cause of racism, bigotry, stereotypical notions, negativity, etc, that we all supposedly condone.

RedAngel 08-22-2002 01:50 AM

Sapphire,
Great post and I agree with you 100%.

prospective 08-22-2002 06:48 PM

And to think that I wasn't gonna read this thread.... wow.:eek:

Rudey 08-24-2002 12:13 AM

1. A couple of things I would like to say. Tom is not a moderator of this forum. He is a moderator of his fraternity's forum on GC and not Greek Life, so your point about that is meaningless since he simply isn't.

2. The usage of ASSume bothers me. Why not use assume, because ASSume is an insulting way to make your point. Tom hasn't said anything that is just so universally ridiculous that you should say that. I will still say I have no idea why Tom writes the way he does in "Tom Speak".

3. Neicy has repeatedly made statements that are wrong but simply right in her mind. When someone makes a comment in regards to her statements, she laces her comments with insults. Funny thing, and in a sense ironic, is that her insults are mostly based on proving to someone else that they aren't smart.

Personally I believe everyone has the right to use their freedom of speech - even if it is to make comments that are filled with hate. But I would say that the school should exercise their right to rid themselves of this hate by eliminating this house. I would say that the national fraternity should exercise their right to stem off hate and promote the values of their founders by eliminating this house. And I would say that other chapters and potential new members should exercise their right to be part of an organization that does not promote such values.

-Rudey
--Eat meat.

Quote:

Originally posted by SapphireSweetie
Okay... I didn't get to reply in full to Tom Earp since I was on my way out of the office, so I'm gonna do this now since I have more time.

Okay... first of all... was this REALLY necessary?

Don't you think that in stating this statement you are also making a judgement in a similar fashion? Or to quote your own words, don't you think this just helps "propogate all of the hatred." Come on now.... you're a moderator... so MODERATE not instigate!

Moreover, don't you think in making this statement,

that you are making a generalization that all the GCers hold the same opinion as you? Better yet, it seems as if you ASSume that we'll all naturally take your side.

Also, in light of the manner you chose to respond, doesn't it seem that you are the one attacking someone? As you seem convinced that neicy has come to do? (evidenced in the statements below)

To me, it seems rather difficult to conceive these statements as a means to "help each other in a more positive way" when they seem to be attacks every which way.

Now, the fact that I'm posting this DOES NOT MEAN that I am supportive of Neicy. Nor DOES IT MEAN that I fully support Tom Earp. Rather, I am simply trying to point out how criticizing one person can easily lead to the criticism of yourself, which in turn can easily be the cause of racism, bigotry, stereotypical notions, negativity, etc, that we all supposedly condone.

KSig RC 08-24-2002 03:19 AM

Re: Re: Neicy - please get a clue

Quote:

Originally posted by zchi2

Neicy said she was there for two years!!

ARE YOU KIDDING?

Look -

Anecdotal evidence only goes so far. Neicy - Here, it seems you use a blatant logical fallacy to prove your point. Right here, you utilize an APPEAL TO ANONYMOUS AUTHORITY to state that "Alabama is one of the most racist states in the world" (ps - cite? also - how many states in the world?) . . .

Look - we've been over much of this before, in the infamous "PREJUDISM" thread . . . basically, you CANNOT assume you're correct in a seemingly subjective matter unless you can back opinion up with fact - so please don't.

Does this make sense to you?

There is wrong all over the place on this one - the segregation on the campus is NOT normal, and most likely NOT a result of simple random entropic actions. However, similarly, for you to make outrageous claims gets us nowhere, and in fact implies a decades-old thought process of assuming that stereotypes and generalizations are indeed fact.

(NOTE that ASSuME seems, to me, a fairly weak way to make an insidious point)

KSig RC 08-24-2002 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Neicy - please get a clue

Quote:

Originally posted by neicy81
3. Me saying Alabama is one of the most racist states IN AMERICA(had to throw that in for the grammar police) is NOT outrageous.You ignoring that it is IS.
Yeah, look back at my posts in all of these threads where you've shined light on the racial imbalance in the United States of America for the benefit of the rest of us morons - what an outrageous set of viewpoints I hold.

Do people even read others' posts?

Rudey 08-24-2002 12:11 PM

what

Take away your comments which lack intelligence and your old jokes which aren't funny, and you're left with little else.

And let's not compare our education again - for your sake.

-Rudey
--If you really talk to people in real life like this, I hope you have a nice body at least.

Quote:

I find it interesting how you have completely utilized a Miss Cleo psychic kit and read my mind as well as studied my character.I guess if you studied hard in school the way you study my character, you would have graduated with honors.I debate online just like I would talk to people in person.I don't have a set format, nor am I going to use one.But thanks anyway for utilizing your Miss Cleo kit.

PM_Mama00 08-24-2002 12:51 PM

Ahh....Neicy we meet again.

For starters, I think what these fraternity brothers did was wrong. They deserve whatever punishment they get... but those individuals, not the entire chapter.

At first I didn't see a problem if the BGLO brothers gave them the shirt, but then I saw that they didn't. Two years ago for Halloween, one of the brothers dressed up as another brother, who is Indian, dark, and with long hair (which was damn sexy and a lot better kept up than most girls!). That brother who was "ridiculed" thought it was hilarious. The white brother even colored in his face. I guess it just depends on what kind of sense of humor people have.

Someone on this thread wrote... I can't remember who
Quote:

Neicy,
Please take a look at the following table that appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on May 9, 2001 of America’s most segregated cities generated from the 2000 census: http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/may01/SEG09G2.asp
Notice that the three most segregated cities according to this study (rankings will certainly vary by study) are Detroit, Milwaukee and New York City. The first Southern city comes in at #10, Miami. Surprised? I sure was, and yes, medium sized Southern cities were included in the rankings. What does that prove? To you, probably nothing. But I see it as an indication that racism, prejudice and stereotyping knows no geographic boundaries, thanks for giving us a demonstration from the wonderful city of Chicago, one of my favorite cities for sports and museums...and number 6 on the above list.
I live in Detroit, always have. The only way I've ever seen it segregated is that the not so nicer areas are mostly minorities, and the other areas are mostly whites, with few minorities. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Whites in Detroit don't choose to be segregated, it's just that if they have money then why live in the projects? Same goes for anyone of any color.

As far as black girls going through Rush, we've had African American girls go through Rush. One a few years ago, who was very nice, shy, but would have made an awesome sister. She disappeared from the rest of the week. Why? Cuz the black sorority taunted her and gave her dirty looks for rushing an NPC sorority. Blah. We accept all nationalities, all colors, all religions, etc. I'm sorry if your own kind doesn't like that fact.

Neicy, and everyone can quote me or do whatever you want, but I still think you are the most racist piece of shhh that I've ever "encountered". Oh wait, I forgot, blacks CANNOT be racist... isn't that what you said once before? If all minorities were like you and thought like you, then I wouldn't blame people for being racist. I understand that your people have been oppressed and "history repeats itself", but why don't you try bettering YOUR life without blaming every little flippin bad thing in OTHERS' lives on the history of blacks vs. whites? There are so many blacks who make something of themselves because they put their mind to it and told themselves that just because there are many whites out there who are biggots (spelling?), they will not let anything get in the way of their success. If only everyone in the world thought that way, then maybe we could all get along! Stop blaming others for your problems!

Rudey 08-24-2002 01:07 PM

Re: Re: what

Quote:

1.All these are merely your opinions so you have to back those up with facts. :D

Please be hot...please.

-Rudey
--If you're not hot, I hope you know how to cook or change the transmission on a car at least.

NewBee 08-24-2002 01:32 PM

I really dont understand why everyone is so upset with Neicy81 for stating an opinion based on her on experience. If she lived in Alamba for 2 years she has every right to cast judgement even if some people don't want to hear it. This thread started off talking about the incident with Melody Twill starting her on organization, which by the way is beneficial to the image of greek life, and it ended up becoming the why does Neicy81 hate Alambama thread. The same freedom that gave the frat from Auborn the right to dress up in blackface( which I personally thought was discussing but I digress) is the same freedom that allows her to come on here and say the Alambama is racist whether you all agree or not. Now, some of you have come on GC and attacked her and you wonder why she is being insulting. A lot of you are being very insulting. I take issue with that. "Rearing your ugly head.... Racist piece of sh--." Not once did she say anythig negative about an ethnicity. But many of you have already judge her based on a debate over the INTERNET!!! How very sad.

Rudey 08-24-2002 01:38 PM

You judge many of us based on a debate over the INTERNET!!! How very sad.

-Rudey
--Laying it down like Dr. Phil.

Quote:

Originally posted by NewBee
I really dont understand why everyone is so upset with Neicy81 for stating an opinion based on her on experience. If she lived in Alamba for 2 years she has every right to cast judgement even if some people don't want to hear it. This thread started off talking about the incident with Melody Twill starting her on organization, which by the way is beneficial to the image of greek life, and it ended up becoming the why does Neicy81 hate Alambama thread. The same freedom that gave the frat from Auborn the right to dress up in blackface( which I personally thought was discussing but I digress) is the same freedom that allows her to come on here and say the Alambama is racist whether you all agree or not. Now, some of you have come on GC and attacked her and you wonder why she is being insulting. A lot of you are being very insulting. I take issue with that. "Rearing your ugly head.... Racist piece of sh--." Not once did she say anythig negative about an ethnicity. But many of you have already judge her based on a debate over the INTERNET!!! How very sad.

NewBee 08-24-2002 01:38 PM

P.S

I live in Chicago and as some of you said its in the top ten. Contrary to popular belief, segration does not mean racism. In fact, if you think about it, racism is less likely to occur on a segregrated level because the races mingle less. I AM NOT A SUPPORTER OF SEGREGATION but its not right to assume that just because people are separated, that they chose to be separated because they hate someones skin color.