GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Multiple Recs Showing Favoritism? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=126643)

afwilliams 05-16-2012 10:45 PM

Multiple Recs Showing Favoritism?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the search. I want to know that if I happen to get multiple recs to one chapter, does it come across that they are my "favorite" compared to the others on campus? Should I keep an even number across the chapters if I don't exactly where I want to end up? I know that some of the chapters kind of talk between themselves and I don't want to hurt my chances.

Old_Row 05-16-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afwilliams (Post 2146545)
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the search. I want to know that if I happen to get multiple recs to one chapter, does it come across that they are my "favorite" compared to the others on campus? Should I keep an even number across the chapters if I don't exactly where I want to end up? I know that some of the chapters kind of talk between themselves and I don't want to hurt my chances.

I was under the impression that one did not shop for an NPHC sorority.

afwilliams 05-16-2012 10:55 PM

This is in regard to NPC, sorry for not being clear

Old_Row 05-16-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afwilliams (Post 2146549)
This is in regard to NPC, sorry for not being clear

So you changed your mind in the last couple of weeks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by afwilliams (Post 2140509)
So I will be starting college in fall and am interested in joining an NPHC sorority. They all have facebook pages and I was wondering if "liking" their page seems desperate per se. I know that is one of the big things, not to appear desperate or annoying when trying to make an impression. My intentions are just to stay updated on events so that when they come up I can show my interest in the organization and make a more informed decision in what I witness first hand, versus "he-say, she-say". Sorry, if this seems long, but thanks for the help!

afwilliams 05-16-2012 11:02 PM

I have decided to go through recruitment to explore all my options.

Always AlphaGam 05-16-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afwilliams (Post 2146545)

Get a rec for each chapter. If you get more than one, great.

Membership selection and talk amongst chapters is none of your business.

afwilliams 05-16-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam (Post 2146553)
Get a rec for each chapter. If you get more than one, great.

Membership selection and talk amongst chapters is none of your business.

Thank you for actually answering my question (:

The reason I added that part is because I read in a thread on here that sometimes things like being a legacy and talking about loving a certain chapter can hurt a PNMs chances, I just didn't know if it crossed into the same "category" if that makes sense.

Thank you though for the answer.

WCsweet<3 05-16-2012 11:33 PM

Having multiple recs are fine up to a point. One or two is great especially if you are going to a competitive school where they are needed. If we are talking about four or more recs then it is a little overboard. Members rarely say that they have received recs for PNMs to people outside of their chapter.

afwilliams 05-16-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 (Post 2146555)
Having multiple recs are fine up to a point. One or two is great especially if you are going to a competitive school where they are needed. If we are talking about four or more recs then it is a little overboard. Members rarely say that they have received recs for PNMs to people outside of their chapter.

Yes it would only be in that 1-2 rec group, no more than that, and thank you for the response

AOII Angel 05-16-2012 11:43 PM

One chapter will not know how many recs you have to another chapter. Depending on where you go to school, one rec may be plenty. If you are going to a highly competitive SEC school, two or more may be okay, but try not to be excessive.

AnchorAlumna 05-16-2012 11:56 PM

If anybody offers to write you a rec for a sorority that you've already got 2 or more for, for heaven's sake don't turn them down! Be gracious and say thank you.
Besides, all those who write recs may not get around to it...or forget...or do it too late...you won't know exactly how many you have.

MaryPoppins 05-17-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2146559)
If anybody offers to write you a rec for a sorority that you've already got 2 or more for, for heaven's sake don't turn them down! Be gracious and say thank you.
Besides, all those who write recs may not get around to it...or forget...or do it too late...you won't know exactly how many you have.

Very, very true!

thetalady 05-17-2012 01:09 AM

I think you need to step back from the computer and think long and hard about making some decisions before you worry about recs.

NPC or NPHC... that is a HUGE decision that you haven't even made yet. Please don't think that you will get a shot at both. Ain't going to happen.

afwilliams 05-17-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna (Post 2146559)

Thank you for that info!

Senusret I 05-17-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2146566)
I think you need to step back from the computer and think long and hard about making some decisions before you worry about recs.

NPC or NPHC... that is a HUGE decision that you haven't even made yet. Please don't think that you will get a shot at both. Ain't going to happen.

If she is going to a school where if your greatest shot at joining an NPC as a first semester freshman, but you can't join an NPHC until you're a sophomore, I personally don't see anything wrong with maximizing the odds. Do NPC and NPHC women really compare notes like that? Will an NPHC woman have memory of NPC rush *the year before?*

In any case, there's nothing wrong with gathering recs now and changing her mind later, right? Wouldn't that be the wise thing to do - have your bases covered?

ETA: Unless you were suggesting that she can't be a *member* of both or shouldn't actually begin pledging an NPC until she's made her mind up, which I agree with.