GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment Stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   old and new recruitment story (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=126344)

legacymom 05-20-2012 10:15 PM

Found out this weekend that daughter #2 did not get into her first choice school, so she will move forward with plan B. This campus has 7 sororities - she will be starting on recommendations this week. Hard to see her not get into my alma mater, and to know that also closed the door on her being a legacy. But, excited to see what lies ahead for her - hoping she will find the right sorority for her.

FSUZeta 05-21-2012 06:00 PM

She will blaze her own trail, and will find her place at #2 school. I hope she comes to feel that #2 should have been #1!

legacymom 07-31-2012 10:51 PM

Second daughter will move in for recruitment on August 12, with the first round starting on the 13th. Looks like between 4 and 5 hundred girls going through for 7 houses - should be interesting. No upper classman quota at this campus, but seems that anyone short of the senior year has a fair shot of pledging. Hoping she will enjoy the experience.

honeychile 08-01-2012 12:13 AM

Good luck to Daughter #2 (Miss Melanie?). In my heart, she still has a legacy. You never know if she'll transfer...

legacymom 08-12-2012 08:45 PM

Moved daughter 2 in today. She has warmed up considerably to the campus, and so have we. I think it will be a good fit for her. Her 3 roomates who she does not know will not move in until next weekend, so I was happy that a girl across the hall was in the same situation and the two of them will likely head to the orienation and dinner tonight. Anxious to hear what she thinks when she starts round 1 tomorrow - she finally got around to asking some questions the other night, but she is very laid back so I am not sure what she will think of all the singing and parties.

sigmagirl2000 08-13-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legacymom (Post 2143917)
Scarlett was pleased to have a full schedule for round 2, although some of the houses she liked had not invited her back. She was sad not to return to Arizona and New York, but not too disappointed about Pennsylvania, and very happy that Connecticutt and New Jersey were no longer on her list. This round was house tour, so she enjoyed seeing all the houses. After Round two she still liked her legacy house, but also liked Ohio and Hawaii a great deal. Her best friend going through recruitment with her took a heavy cut after first round, and returned to 8 houses instead of 12. Daughter and I were both disappointed that all her friends had been cut by North Carolina.

I feel a little mean pointing this out 3 months after the fact, but I saw the same issue for several posts in a row, so I can guess it wasn't a one time mistake. It may be small, but it's still a state, and it's Connecticut (only 1 t at the end). (I'm also disappointed a bit that my home state turned her off, lol)

Good luck to daughter 2 as she starts recruitment today!!

legacymom 08-14-2012 11:10 PM

Hey, thanks for point that out, and sorry that Connecticut(which I may have been spelling wrong for years) wasn't a favorite!

legacymom 08-14-2012 11:21 PM

So, daughter 2, who is very different from daughter 1, started recruitment this week. While the oldest was Scarlett, younger sis is more like Jo from Little Women. Very much the tomboy during her growing up years, much more laid back than big sis and not nearly as much into dress up clothes. She does want to be in a sorority, but I have worried that she would struggle with the formality of recruitment.

legacymom 08-14-2012 11:24 PM

Her campus has 7 houses, and because she is into sports I will call them after sports she has played or enjoyed watching:

Horseback riding
Soccer
Flag Football
Lacrosse
Tennis
Putt Putt
Kayaking

WCsweet<3 08-15-2012 12:33 AM

Go Tennis!

southbymidwest 08-15-2012 12:46 AM

Go Lacrosse!

legacymom 08-15-2012 10:09 PM

Think I was far more nervous than my daughter about Rd 1, because I knew what was ahead of her, and that she is not a fan of chit chat and dressing up. But, when I finally heard from her she had a great time. She did say it was the longest, hottest day of her life, and her favorite house was the one that let them sit down. Still, it was great to hear that she enjoyed it. Her comments from Rd 1 were:

Horseback Riding - Absolutely no recollection of this house - they just didn't stand out to her. Think it was one of her last houses of the day.
Soccer - Very comfortable with this house - loved that she got to meet and talk with several sisters.
Flag Football - Really liked this house too. Felt very comfortable, and thought it was by far one of the pretties houses. Getting to sit here was a plus!
Lacrosse - Thought the girls were friendly, but the conversation just didn't flow as smoothly as at the other houses.
Tennis- She only recalled meeting one girl at this house, and it wasn't a good match. The girl gushed about how much the house meant to her and how she knew immediately it was the right house for her - just a bit strong for Rd 1 conversation.
Putt Putt- The girls here were very nice, but the atmosphere was very different from the other houses, and she was told that they expected to invite everyone back, which she found a bit odd.
Kayaking- Another house that really impressed her - the girls were very sweet and polished. She was hoping to return on day 2.

legacymom 08-15-2012 10:11 PM

So, going into second round she would have preferred not to go back to Putt Putt, and her top choices were Flag Football, Soccer and Kayaking.

legacymom 08-15-2012 10:13 PM

Jo's schedule for Rd 2 was as follows: Soccer, Flag Football, Lacrosse, Putt Putt, and Kayaking. A full schedule was 6, but she knew girls who had anywhere from 3 - 6, so she was quite happy with 5. Horseback and Tennis had cut her, but they hadn't been among her favorites.

legacymom 08-15-2012 10:17 PM

Philanthropy round gave her a chance to be dressed more comfortably, and to meet more girls at each house. To her surprise her feelings about some of the houses changed during this round:

Flag Football: One of her favorites on Day 1, she just didn't enjoy it as much this round. The girl she was paired with didn't seem interested in her, so she left feeling disappointed.
Soccer: Again one of her favorites. The information about the philanthropy was good, and the girls she talked to were interesting and fun to be with. She feels very at ease here.
Lacrosse: Good round here, but again the conversation didn't flow as well. She didn't feel like she had much in common with these girls.
Putt Putt - Liked this group better - thought many of the girls were interesting, but still didn't feel like it was what she was looking for in a sorority.
Kayaking: Again this house was a winner. She thought the party flowed well, and hoped to return for Rd 3.