GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Risk Management - Hazing & etc. (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UI Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority made a racist comment on Instagram ? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=246615)

anongreek 10-08-2019 03:56 PM

UI Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority made a racist comment on Instagram ?

“We are writing to emphasize the comment made by this individual was unacceptable, and the Panhellenic community does not stand for this,” according to a message to chapter presidents from UI Panhellenic President Elah Shulruff and UI Vice President for Student Life Melissa Shivers.

UI officials did not disclose details of what the sorority member wrote on Saturday on the social media platform Instagram. But, in a separate statement from the Panhellenic Council, leadership disavowed the comment and the “racist ideology” it promoted and stressed it “will not stand for nor tolerate these unacceptable comments.”

Please see full article below.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...gamma-20191008

This is truly so sad that things like this keep happening, and it negatively impacts the whole Org and university. Now I know why our chapter officers beat it into our head repeatedly that what we posted on social media directly affected the image of the chapter. Nobody worked harder than our standards board. Bless them.

Jen 10-08-2019 04:22 PM

Nice that Kappa made a comment about it immediately, however vague. At least they condemned it.

I'm still waiting for Alpha Phi to make one about the incident at OCU, but I'll be waiting forever because I don't think they care.

anongreek 10-08-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen (Post 2470454)
Nice that Kappa made a comment about it immediately, however vague. At least they condemned it.

I'm still waiting for Alpha Phi to make one about the incident at OCU, but I'll be waiting forever because I don't think they care.

YES! I always think it looks so much better for the org to come out and condemn the incident or clarify that that member's remark is not a direct representation of their values. It looks worse to me when they refuse to comment at all.

Rod D 10-08-2019 04:45 PM

Well before we get our pitchforks and torches, we should know what was actually said. Just a thought.

anongreek 10-08-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2470457)
Well before we get our pitchforks and torches, we should know what was actually said. Just a thought.

Oh no! No pitchforks and torches necessary. We were just commending them, because it is honorable that Kappa released a statement condemning what was said. Not every Org does that, but I think it always honorable when they do. The UI Panhellenic President also addressed it, which was a noble move. I commend both entities both for being so prompt to address & take action.

thetalady 10-08-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod D (Post 2470457)

Here you go..... "The Instagram post Saturday, which showed members of the sorority all dressed in white, received a comment by a member that said “join the kkk” but then added “I mean the kkg.” Both comments were circulated around Instagram."

UI Greek council addresses racist Instagram comments

anongreek 10-08-2019 05:03 PM

Oh Lord in heaven above.. WHAT?...it hardly seems that was an innocent typo either.
Why do these girls not think before they post racy comments on socials?
--Sigh.

BossLadyAKA 10-09-2019 10:31 AM

Or, why don't people stop being racists? Either way.

(not calling you a racist, but I think a lot of times we worry about the behavior, and forget to address the cause.)

Originally Posted by anongreek (Post 2470462)
Oh Lord in heaven above.. WHAT?...it hardly seems that was an innocent typo either.
Why do these girls not think before they post racy comments on socials?
--Sigh.

anongreek 10-09-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossLadyAKA (Post 2470483)
Or, why don't people stop being racists? Either way.

(not calling you a racist, but I think a lot of times we worry about the behavior, and forget to address the cause.)

Oh no, I totally agree.
I more or less meant what is even going through these girls heads AT ALL. I have never even thought something of that sort, much less posted it on social media.
Have I said some things that were inappropriate when I was young that I didn't fully understand what I was saying.. I am sure I have. But girls this age are old enough to know better.

I definitely understand what you meant. I just wish I knew how we could halt the mentality entirely. Unfortunately, racism seems to be a trait that is learned. Not a trait people come into the world with, so perhaps the real issue starts at home. How we correct that, I am not sure. But the school & org are doing the right thing by saying they will not tolerate it.

Tom Earp 10-09-2019 12:10 PM

Is any one besides me getting so VERY DAMN tired of hearing about all of this Waa, Waa Crap?:mad:

This is wrong, that is wrong, and all I see is a bunch of Cup Cake eating Suck up Woosies crying like little babies who do not get their way!

Well folks get over your little cry baby ways and act like adults with a back bone. :mad:

Thank you and have a fine day!:)

Jen 10-09-2019 12:32 PM

Whenever a sorority or fraternity acts like racist douchebags, they deserved to be called out and punished.

I am getting tired - tired of racist pieces of shit joining our organizations and spewing this garbage everywhere.

Tired of old, whiny white dudes making apologies for racists.

anongreek 10-09-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 2470486)
Is any one besides me getting so VERY DAMN tired of hearing about all of this Waa, Waa Crap?:mad:

This is wrong, that is wrong, and all I see is a bunch of Cup Cake eating Suck up Woosies crying like little babies who do not get their way!

Well folks get over your little cry baby ways and act like adults with a back bone. :mad:

I'm getting tired of hearing about it, but I am getting more tired of it repeatedly happening. People should really know better. People should know by now (you would think) that when you are a member of ANY organization, that what you post/ say/ do directly affects them and every member in the org as well. I don't even see how anyone in their right mind could possibly think posting a comment on Instagram that said "join the KKK, oops, i mean KKG" could possibly be a good move on behalf of themselves, or of the members of their organization. It's not just the repercussions it has on the organization of KKG, but also the personal repercussions that saying something like that could have on the young lady's future, who said it. My standards chair would have nipped it in the bud so quick, the news source would not have even had a chance for it to be published. I used to get so annoyed with our Standards board, for "nitpicking," and asking us to take things down off of socials, etc. but truthfully, I understand it more now than ever. We live in the era of social media. Everything you post is available for the entire world to see in a matter of seconds. As a result, people, especially those representing an entire group's values, morals and ethics, should really consider being more dignified and reserved with their posts. I am not saying that it is right that stuff of this matter is magnified on such a grand scale as it is today to where one girl makes a comment and it is a major news headline...but knowing the kind of scrutiny Greek Orgs are ALREADY under....why not think before you post something and how it may potentially affect your organization and even your university? If you want to silently be a racist...well I guess we can't stop you....but DO NOT BRING DOWN YOUR ENTIRE ORGANIZATION WITH YOU.
I am tired of hearing about it, but I am even more tired of people not realizing this kind of behavior IS NOT acceptable, especially for a young woman that represents the values of a group of other young women. When you are in a Greek Org, you are held to a higher standard. More is expected out of you. I went into Greek Life knowing that. These ladies and men should know the same.

talksalot02 10-09-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalady (Post 2470460)
Here you go..... "The Instagram post Saturday, which showed members of the sorority all dressed in white, received a comment by a member that said “join the kkk” but then added “I mean the kkg.” Both comments were circulated around Instagram."

UI Greek council addresses racist Instagram comments

I've heard that the particular member may have had more than the Instagram post.

Kevin 10-09-2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anongreek (Post 2470490)
I'm getting tired of hearing about it, but I am getting more tired of it repeatedly happening.

Couple of things. First, our intake processes are often too superficial to really prevent us from recruiting a dumbass 19 year old who happens to be a racist and we don't often find out about that until that individual is a full fledged member. And then, once the behavior is known, with regard to the leaders of the organization between 20-22 years old, let's be honest, not a lot of them are going to want to take days out of their week utilizing standards to properly adjudicate unacceptable viewpoints.

And we recruit a fresh batch of 18-19 year old kids every single year and every single year, we open ourselves up to the same behavior, and every single year that behavior continues to happen. Why are we tired or surprised? Our organizations don't have much capacity to learn unless they are properly advised by adult volunteers, but the advice we give very often falls on deaf ears.

It's a problem with no real solution that I can think of.

Sororitysock 10-09-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Earp (Post 2470486)

How dare people be offended by racists and their racist actions? /s