GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   why do fraternities need ur ssn? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=113081)

mask107 04-23-2010 02:19 PM

why do fraternities need ur ssn?

Enter text here.what do they do with it

MysticCat 04-23-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mask107 (Post 1920150)
Enter text here.what do they do with it

Track down and flog stupid posters.

mask107 04-23-2010 02:36 PM

how is this stupid

MysticCat 04-23-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mask107 (Post 1920158)
how is this stupid

You mean aside from "enter text here" or the other posts today about "ur ssn"? Those are for starters.

I'm pretty sure my fraternity has never asked for my social security number.

Meanwhile, I'm expecting some spamtastic info on how we can all avoid identity theft.

Woof 04-23-2010 11:22 PM

my fraternity asks for our ssn when we register as a pledge...sooo...

Midwest 04-24-2010 04:52 AM

^ Same here. When I signed that contract as a pledge the recruiter needed my SSN.

So, the way the question was worded can be catergorized as stupid. But I think it was an honest question.

pshsx1 04-24-2010 04:57 AM

What does a fraternity do with a social?? Hell no, I'd never give mine out like that.

Gusteau 04-24-2010 10:13 AM

Delta Chi asks for your social on your Personnel Record Form, I really didn't mind when they asked for it, nor do I mind at present. I'm not sure what they do with it besides bind it the the "Big Book of Every Delta Chi Ever." Side note: do not bend or fold your PR Form if you value your life.

MysticCat 04-26-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midwest (Post 1920579)
So, the way the question was worded can be catergorized as stupid. But I think it was an honest question.

Given the way this brand-spanking new poster and another brand-spanking new poster asked basically the same question within an hour or two, I'm doubting the honesty involved.

TitaniumGene 05-11-2010 10:03 AM

It's for financial purposes. The SSN gets registered to a financial agency (e.g. Omega financial) so they can collect dues from you if you neglect to pay.

33girl 05-11-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitaniumGene (Post 1927285)
It's for financial purposes. The SSN gets registered to a financial agency (e.g. Omega financial) so they can collect dues from you if you neglect to pay.

I think that you are able to register your SSN directly with Omega, rather than giving it to the fraternity. The less people getting their hands on your info, the better. Not only that, I think if you don't want to use your SSN, Omega can give you an ID number (much the way medical insurance does).

amanda6035 05-11-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 1927306)
I think that you are able to register your SSN directly with Omega, rather than giving it to the fraternity. The less people getting their hands on your info, the better. Not only that, I think if you don't want to use your SSN, Omega can give you an ID number (much the way medical insurance does).

Your account number with Omega does not replace the SSN. The SSN is used so that if you're an idiot who doesnt pay your bill (for months and months on end) and the chapter chooses to turn you over to collections, it can and will be attached to your credit report. If you don't pay your fraternity bill, and it comes to bite you in the @$$ several years down the road when you're trying to get a home loan, you deserve it. Your fraternity bill is just like any other bill, except that you can actually work with your chapter to set up a payment plan and not get charged a ridiculous interest rate or fee in the process.

AXiD actually has a new New Member reporting process in which the new members don't have to give their SSN to another member of the chapter to file paperwork, because it's all done electronically now. The new members just have to fill it out an electronic form which is then sent to headquarters. If I'm not mistaken, Alpha Gam is using this same kind of reporting through Omega.

rufio 05-11-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitaniumGene (Post 1927285)

thats the way we do it. but if you're uptight about writing it down you can always enter in the computer and what not yourself.

TitaniumGene 05-19-2010 11:26 PM

One would hope that when you reach the point of registering your info, you would trust your brothers or sisters to record the information.

PhiTubbs 05-31-2010 12:32 PM

same here, i was asked for social security number..i believe it's like amanda said.. many chapters use omega or some other program as a collection agency.If they have your number then they can mess with credit....I may be completely wrong, but thats the best thing i can think of.