GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Dating & Relationships (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Wedding Cakes (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=94126)

honeychile 04-07-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal026 (Post 1630334)
I had a cake tasting on Saturday, and the baker put a generous layer of buttercream under the fondant. I thought it tasted great with the fondant, but my fiance loved that it was easy to peel it off, and he still got tasty icing underneath :)

That sounds yummy, too!

PinkRose1098 04-07-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kddani (Post 1630157)
Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!

Oh thank goodness I re-read your post. The first time I missed this and was about to ask!

A friend of mine actually had more of a cookie garden - she said it was several tables of cookies and you entered through an arbor. Thats a lot of cookies!

ComradesTrue 04-07-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kddani (Post 1630157)
Plus, of course, we WILL have an enormous cookie table!

Okay, it is time for this tradition to go nationwide! I had never heard of such a thing until GC, and let me say... it is a fabulous idea!

KSUViolet06 04-07-2008 12:20 PM

Question: are cookie tables mostly specific to particular regions of the country (i.e. OH/PA/midwest)?

I live in Ohio, and I have only ever seen cookie tables here and in PA. Any wedding I've attended outside of OH/PA didn't have one.

PinkRose1098 04-07-2008 12:26 PM

I vote regional. My mother-in-law told me about the one she and Dad had at their wedding and it sounded wonderful. Evidently Dad's mom called in favors from all her friend and they had an amazing table. I used the idea at my wedding and had a chocolate table instead of a cookies table- candies, grasshopper brownies, moon pies, etc. The browines were my favorite part!

Growing up in the south, I had never ever heard of this and was familar with the "cake and punch" receptions. I like the Western PA traditions much better!

Benzgirl 04-07-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1630377)
Question: are cookie tables mostly specific to particular regions of the country (i.e. OH/PA/midwest)?

I live in Ohio, and I have only ever seen cookie tables here and in PA. Any wedding I've attended outside of OH/PA didn't have one.

A lot of it depends on the backgrounds of the bride and groom. I've been to a lot of eastern European, Eastern Orthodox and Greek Orthodox weddings everywhere, and they always have cookie tables (note: plural). Italian weddings have been similar.

honeychile 04-07-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 1630377)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 1630688)
A lot of it depends on the backgrounds of the bride and groom. I've been to a lot of eastern European, Eastern Orthodox and Greek Orthodox weddings everywhere, and they always have cookie tables (note: plural). Italian weddings have been similar.

I think both of these are true. I didn't have a cookie table, because my parents considered it not part of our ethnic group. But that's gone out the window - I went to a purely Scots wedding last year (kilts and all), and they had THREE cookie tables!

AnchorAlumna 04-08-2008 12:44 AM

DD had as her groom's cake: a huge stack of Krispy Kreme doughnuts! It was big hit.;)

I love cookies WAY more than cake. Had no idea there was such a thing as cookie tables! I think I need to get married again...:p

PhoenixAzul 04-08-2008 10:00 AM

One more time for the people in the back:

cookie table evangelism is go ;)!

greeklawgirl 04-08-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzgirl (Post 1630688)

I'm Greek Orthodox, got married in Arizona, and while I didn't have a "cookie table" per se, I did have a dessert table with all kinds of Greek sweets--baklava, diples, kourambiedes, koulourakia, etc. It was insane. All the women in my family were stockpiling butter, sugar, flour and honey for WEEKS before the wedding! Everyone went home laden with pastries.

Growing up in New York, we used to see variations on the cookie table called a "Viennese Table." On those, you usually had an assortment of cakes, cookies, and other pastries like eclairs and cannolis. Talk about a sugar high.

Anyway, I love the idea of cookie/dessert/what-have-you tables! The more sweets, the better I say!

bluefish81 04-08-2008 10:23 PM

I'm going to a wedding with cupcakes in about two and a half weeks. The bride to be was telling a few of us this past weekend that there's going to be almost double the number of cupcakes to attendees. If I remember, I'll take some pictures of the cupcakes (and post them) - but only if they're cute.

I really wish the cookie table idea would go nationwide, I love cookies.

Glitter650 04-12-2008 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeklawgirl (Post 1631090)
I'm Greek Orthodox, got married in Arizona, and while I didn't have a "cookie table" per se, I did have a dessert table with all kinds of Greek sweets--baklava, diples, kourambiedes, koulourakia, etc. It was insane. All the women in my family were stockpiling butter, sugar, flour and honey for WEEKS before the wedding! Everyone went home laden with pastries.

Growing up in New York, we used to see variations on the cookie table called a "Viennese Table." On those, you usually had an assortment of cakes, cookies, and other pastries like eclairs and cannolis. Talk about a sugar high.

Anyway, I love the idea of cookie/dessert/what-have-you tables! The more sweets, the better I say!

NOTE TO SELF: Have Greeklaw girl call in favors of her greek relatives to help her make massive amounts of baklava to bring to San Francisco with her in Sept...... :D ;)

Benzgirl 04-12-2008 11:30 AM

My brother's wedding was catered by GreekLawGirl's relatives.

DSTRen13 04-16-2008 09:34 AM

Some photos my sister took of our cakes (before the tables were all nicely decorated):
http://photos-473.ll.facebook.com/ph...23848_2630.jpg
^^^This cake was very good - two layers of Bailey's flavor pound cake and one layer of pineapple coconut pound cake :)

http://photos-473.ll.facebook.com/ph...23847_2406.jpg
^^^This cake is actually a double chocolate cheesecake disguised as regular cake. Also super yummy :)

Anyone in the Atlanta area, this baker is AMAZING. The best cheesecake in the world --- http://classiccheesecakesandcakes.com/

Still BLUTANG 04-16-2008 12:26 PM

^^^^
i am so not into cheesecake, but this LOOKS and sounds amazing. double chocolate anything is o.k. in my book. :-)