GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Ole Miss Recruitment? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=88571)

gam-ma 07-11-2007 12:05 PM

Ole Miss Recruitment?

We received a brochure at orientation that explains my daughter can only send in one rec per house and they even said that mailing them ourselves is the best way to make sure they get there. When I tell my friends this, they say they've never heard of such a thing. I want to make sure we do this the right way. Help!

33girl 07-11-2007 12:24 PM

Mailing them yourselves as opposed to what?

ETA: Never mind, I get it now. :p

aopirose 07-11-2007 12:29 PM

PNMs should not be mailing in the recommendations. An option is to supply the writer with a stamped envelop addressed to chapter. Also, it would not be overboard to have two recommendations per chapter if you can get them. Three or more would definitely be excessive.

adpiucf 07-11-2007 12:32 PM

Alumnae should mail the recommendations directly to the chapter. Ideally, get one recommendation (as you know, recommendations are sorority-specific forms) per chapter, and if you are able, have 1-3 additional alumnae send a letter of support endorsing your daughter for membership in their organizations.

gam-ma 07-11-2007 12:58 PM

More than one rec?

We very much got the impression during the meeting that we should only get one rec. If we need to get more, I want to do that. If it's a big no-no, I don't want to do the wrong thing. Does anyone know specifically what the policy is at Ole Miss?

AlphaFrog 07-11-2007 01:01 PM

http://www.olemiss.edu/greeks/parent...ers_of_rec.htm

The Ole Miss Greek site says "At LEAST" one letter...that to me says 2 would be better...

violetpretty 07-11-2007 01:05 PM

There might be something to this, though. Could Ole Miss be deemphasizing recs and requesting that PNMs only get one for each chapter?

gam-ma 07-11-2007 01:06 PM

At least one...

I saw that on the website, too. In the meeting I was pretty sure I heard them say One. Now I wonder if I misunderstood something there. Any help? Sorry to be a pest to everyone.

AlphaFrog 07-11-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gam-ma (Post 1483339)
I saw that on the website, too. In the meeting I was pretty sure I heard them say One. Now I wonder if I misunderstood something there. Any help? Sorry to be a pest to everyone.

You are absolutely not being a pest. You are trying to help your daughter and get the correct info.

I'm going to go ahead and just say that sometimes what's SAID and what's REALLY NEEDED are two different things. Like with clothing recommendations...many universities SAY that jeans are ok, but in reality, no one actually shows up in anything more casual than Khakis. I think when this happens, they are really doing a disservice to those PNMs who weren't bred from birth to rush.

SWTXBelle 07-11-2007 01:27 PM

Plus, how would the university know/care how many recs are sent to the chapters?

adpiucf 07-11-2007 01:30 PM

The recommendation itself is a reference form for most of the sororities. These forms are fairly self-explanatory-- they require the PNM's name, GPA, activities, etc. Submitting them in triplicate isn't particularly helpful to the chapters-- the same info is contained within them and signed by different alumnae.

Where you can stand out is to ensure the sororities get one of these forms and have other alumnae write those support letters. The letters tell a different story, relating the PNM's character and potential, how the alumna knows the PNM and why she is recommending her for membership, etc. These should be at least 1 page long, but no more than 2 pages. This is the process my Alumnae Panhellenic instructed PNM's to follow-- our girls go all over Texas, as well as Auburn, UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, Oklahoma/State, etc.

FSUZeta 07-11-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty (Post 1483338)
There might be something to this, though. Could Ole Miss be deemphasizing recs and requesting that PNMs only get one for each chapter?

there is no way that ole miss sororities would de-emphasize recommendations.
as adpiucf said, they just may not want half a dozen recommendation forms that give exactly the same information about one pnm. support letters can elaborate on the info. the rec. form would provide.

gam-ma, please check your pm.

violetpretty 07-12-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 1483536)

I guess I gave them too much credit. :rolleyes:

FSUZeta 07-12-2007 08:10 AM

that would be like not wearing the hoop skirt to ka old south weekend!

alum 07-12-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by violetpretty

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta

I guess I gave them too much credit. :rolleyes:

I think recommendations are a good thing since at the very least they provide a detailed background on the rushee. When you have freshman fall recruitment (esp. those August ones) where the actives haven't encountered the freshmen in any school setting, would you rather the initial cuts be made based only on how the PNM performed at the 10 minute party?