GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Hello Greek World---I have a question about off campus fraternities (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132806)

numbaonestunna 03-03-2013 01:11 PM

Hello Greek World---I have a question about off campus fraternities
 
I am part of an off campus fraternity at my school. If I was to hand in a resume to apply for a job could I put that I was in Delta Sigma, even though it was an off campus fraternity at my school.

Titchou 03-03-2013 01:40 PM

Why wouldn't you? Do you mean a chapter that was kicked off and not recognized? Or one that just resided off campus?

numbaonestunna 03-03-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2206289)
Why wouldn't you? Do you mean a chapter that was kicked off and not recognized? Or one that just resided off campus?

Kicked off campus and not recognized by the school

Titchou 03-03-2013 01:54 PM

In that case, no, I wouldn't.

PhiAlpha05 03-04-2013 03:59 PM

I've seen at least one where a brother in the exact same situation actually listed it on his resume, calling it a social club (and not invoking the name of the national, but rather their nickname on campus), so he could tout his experience with planning recruitment and philanthropy events, which they still carried out despite their unofficial status. If you have that kind of valuable experience tied to the organization, you could list it under the nickname, perhaps, but I wouldn't mention the name of the national, just in case someone evaluating the resume is affiliated with them and may ask questions.

adpiucf 03-04-2013 04:16 PM

I really don't see why an employer would care one way or the other. It will be viewed as an extracurricular activity just like anything else with Greek letters. Employers aren't going to concern themselves with memorizing the "official" Greek organizations at your school. If they are going to waste time like that, they probably should be looking for a new job themselves.

Titchou 03-04-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhiAlpha05 (Post 2206464)
I've seen at least one where a brother in the exact same situation actually listed it on his resume, calling it a social club (and not invoking the name of the national, but rather their nickname on campus), so he could tout his experience with planning recruitment and philanthropy events, which they still carried out despite their unofficial status. If you have that kind of valuable experience tied to the organization, you could list it under the nickname, perhaps, but I wouldn't mention the name of the national, just in case someone evaluating the resume is affiliated with them and may ask questions.

I agree with this....

MysticCat 03-04-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2206467)
I really don't see why an employer would care one way or the other.

Unless the circumstances under which the chapter was kicked off campus made news that the employer may have seen and was for reasons that, justified or not, might leave a stigma.

33girl 03-05-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2206467)
I really don't see why an employer would care one way or the other.

Unless the employer is near his school (i.e. MC's reason).

Unless the employer is an alumnus of his school.

Unless the employer is a Greek alumnus and keeps up to date on things like this.

If someone handed me a resume in which she said she was a member of Beta Nu at Pitt, I most definitely would respond "say what now?"

Unless the national organization recognized the group when the school didn't (see: Princeton, Santa Clara U, etc) I would not put it down.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.