GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Soror" ? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=81669)

REE1993 10-19-2006 01:21 PM

"Soror" ?

I have been out of the loop for 10 years, but what is the origin of the term "sorors'? My chapter was in New England, and I checked with a few of my alum sisters, and we never heard of this term before.

Forgive my old-agedness!
Thanks!

Elephant Walk 10-19-2006 01:24 PM

it's some black sorority term, no one else uses it.

AlphaFrog 10-19-2006 01:24 PM

It's short for Sorority Sister.

GPhiB started using Sorority instead of Women's Fraternity, like previous orgs had done.

tunatartare 10-19-2006 01:28 PM

Soror is Latin for "sister."

sigmadiva 10-19-2006 01:31 PM

He's right, although he said it in a negative kind of way.....

It is very commom among the NPHC sororities to refer to our members as 'Sorors', which is derived from the Latin meaning sister.

As far as I know with GSS, the term 'soror' is commonly used among the chapters at HBCUs. They (GSS) have also adopted a 'call' and handsign for the org but it seems to be prevalent among the members at HBCUs.

There was actually a thread or two about GSS with respect to the differences among the org at a PWI vs a HBCU.

MysticCat 10-19-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLPDaisy (Post 1342373)
Soror is Latin for "sister."

Exactly, as "frater" is Latin for brother.

NPHC sororities use "soror" rather than "sister" in much the same way that I have seen some fraternities -- both NPHC and NIC -- refer to members as "fraters" rather than "brothers."

REE1993 10-19-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1342369)

Gamma Simga Sigma is not a "black" or "white sorority, and we are not NPC or NPHC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1342370)
It's short for Sorority Sister. :confused: :confused:

I'm not sure what else you would mean, but umm...duh?

Yikes! I meant when did this term become popular. Like I said, I had never heard it til GC.

AlexMack 10-19-2006 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REE1993 (Post 1342378)
Gamma Simga Sigma is not a "black" or "white sorority, and we are not NPC or NPHC.

No one was saying you were...

AlphaFrog 10-19-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yikes! I meant when did this term become popular. Like I said, I had never heard it til GC.

I read your question wrong, so I went back and fixed my answer. I was thinking you were actually asking where 'Soror' came from...not when. It seemed a bit like asking how "Will" became short for "William"...pretty obvious.

MysticCat 10-19-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1342382)
I read your question wrong, so I went back and fixed my answer. I was thinking you were actually asking where 'Soror' came from...not when.

I read it the same way, given that the question was "but what is the origin of the term 'sorors'?"

REE1993, are you asking when members of Gamma Gamma Sigma started using the term?

sigmadiva 10-19-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

That is understood, but since you have chapters/members at HBCUs, where the majority of students are Black, what has resulted is that GSS on *those campuses* have adopted NPHC styles, and using the term soror is just one of many.

Quote:

Since AKA is recognized as the first collegiate sorority for Black women, I'm guessing the term soror became popular in 1908. But to tell you the truth, I've never researched the word.

blackngoldengrl 10-19-2006 01:43 PM

From the ppl in my family and friends who are in NPHC sororities, I've heard the term all my life (I'm 25). I would think that it has been in use since the organizations were establsihed in the early 1900s.
I've never heard any non-NPHC groups use the term, but my mom and her friend refer to my sisters as my "sorors," although I would just say "sister.":)

P.S. my mom is not in a GLO

REE1993 10-19-2006 01:56 PM

Ahh ok this makes sense to me know. I knew what it "meant" but I didn't know of the origins. Like I said, I am in New England, and have never heard the term before. We use the word "sister".

Thanks everyone for the explanations!
Sisterly,
Ree

DSTCHAOS 10-19-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1342369)

Well aren't you a basket of cool peaches on a warm summer day? :rolleyes:

There are latina and multicultural sororities that use "soror." It is most traditionally used with historically and predominantly black sororities.

TSteven 10-19-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS (Post 1342419)
...a basket of cool peaches on a warm summer day.

Drool, drool!