GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   In a sorority but never taken a little... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=247017)

SororityGirlAsh 04-30-2020 11:54 PM

In a sorority but never taken a little...

Hi! I’m almost a junior in my sorority and have yet to take a little. Most people take littles as sophomores, but I along with another girl in my sorority did not take littles. Has anyone else never taken a little or know someone that never took one, or are we the only ones?

flirt5721 05-01-2020 12:50 AM

Taken a little is a great experience but not everyone takes one. Depending on how your chapter does matching and your connection that you with the new member.

FSUZeta 05-01-2020 07:08 AM

There were girls in both my chapter and my daughter's chapter who did not take littles. In fact, my daughter had a sorority "aunt" who did not take a little-she just joined in with the rest of the sorority fam when they did big/little activities, because while she was not a big, she was a little. When the "aunt's" big graduated she continued to join in with the family's big/little activities. I believe in another thread you said you are engaged and live off campus with your fiancé? You might not have the time to devote to a little.

SororityGirlAsh 05-04-2020 12:57 PM

Thank you for replying! I joined my sorority a year later than people my age, and I joined for the experience and to get involved on campus. I do stuff with my family also, but I will be through with college this December. Do you think that it would be too late if I got a little this fall? Do you know anyone who has done this? This is all giving me anxiety when it shouldn’t be, and I don’t want to be one of the only ones who has done this! Thank you!

carnation 05-04-2020 01:52 PM

If you're finishing in December and living with your fiance, why are you talking about getting a little and moving onto the hall?

KSUViolet06 05-05-2020 10:24 AM

I became a Big Sis the semester right before I graduated in December.

It is not the norm but we were a special case in that we really connected.

She is actually one of my best friends to this day (14 years later!)

Disclaimer:

She was not a freshman, though. She was a junior transfer from out of state and we were similarly aged. I would not have wanted to be a Big to a freshman student knowing I was graduating in a few months!

FSUZeta 05-05-2020 05:59 PM

My first choice for big sister was a senior and would be gone the following semester for student teaching and was getting married following her graduation in May. She wisely chose not to take a little-it didn't matter, she and I still keep up with each other to this day.

I would not recommend taking a little if you will graduate in December. Perhaps you could be an assistant to your chapter's pledge trainer/new member educator? That would give you a bit of the big sister experience without the obligations and not leave a new member w/o a big sister on campus in January.

Leora 05-05-2020 10:15 PM

When I was a senior, I hadn't planned on taking a little because A.) I already had one, and B.) I was a senior. Then I was informed that one of the new members (a freshman to boot!) had put me down as her number one choice, so I decided, she must know what's getting herself into if she put me down as her number one...also, I really liked her.

What I've since realized is that it worked out for us because when I did graduate, I still stuck around the area since our college isn't that far from where I live. So, I could still attend big-little reveal (editing to clarify, for my grandlittles, etc.), initiation, take her out to lunch, etc., after graduation. But let's say I lived in another state and would have to fly out to see her...completely different story. Of course, every individual, and every big-little pair is different, so you'll have to decide what's best for you.