GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   melting beauties??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=33785)

Moxie 05-15-2003 07:50 PM

melting beauties???

It's only May, and yet everytime I walk outside I have to endure the heat and humidity of south Louisiana. The temperature hovers between 85-95 degress, depending on clouds and other factors. So, how do you girls remain beautiful, despite the heat, during RUSH?!?!

By August, temperatures will be at their hottest and there is no way to avoid it. How can we stay primped, pretty and shine-free, without sweating our makeup off and ruining our hair? Do any of you have suggestions for makeup that might be worthy of such an occassion? I know girls don't *really* sweat, we glow...but during summer our glowing abilities escalate and I don't want my makeup melting/smearing! Any hairstyles (personally, my hair is long and thick...) that won't let us down? I can't imagine still making *fab* first impressions after walking down a sweltering sorority row.

Oh, and another thing -- to keep cool I was thinking about incorporationg a few strapless items into my rush ensemble. Not hoochie-strapless, but classy and chic. Should strapless items be avoided, or might they be considered too revealing?

Like everyone, I just want to make a great first impression! Thanks in advance, girls. You ladies always have some super advice.

breathesgelatin 05-15-2003 08:10 PM

hahahaha... you trip me out Moxie!

I don't have any great advice 'cus we have winter rush...

Strapless would probably not be perceived really well at my school, except for pref night. If you had a tasteful pref night dress I think it would be ok. Too, in the summer wearing a strapless dress is more natural. Fewer winter styles are strapless.

AchtungBaby80 05-15-2003 08:18 PM

Those oil-blotter papers will be your best friend! Go get some at Wal-Mart...the Clean&Clear kind is what my sorority used to get for the actives to use during rush, because it's so hot.

Don't forget deodorant (obviously!). And if you wear perfume, don't wear anything real heavy, because it will be 10 times stronger outside in the heat.

Drink lots of water.

Remember that the actives understand that it's 100 degrees out and that PNMs can't be expected to look fresh as a daisy all day long.

trisigmaAtl 05-15-2003 10:04 PM

for your hair, you could try a really classy ponytail. The low kind where your hair is parted and another section of hair is wrapped around the elastic, or you could do a simple up do for pref. Anything sleek and pulled back (without alot of wispys in your face) should hold up pretty well and look nice. As far as make-up goes, I think a couple of brands make liquid mattifier that you can put on before your make-up that can keep you dry, and I use this cover-girl pocket powder these days that keeps me pretty dry in the GA heat. Those oil absorbing sheets rock. A couple of little things packed in a small purse or kept by your Rho Chi can go a long way in between rounds. (We have outdoor rush in August)

as far as strapless goes, that would be a question for an LSU aquainted person to answer. we're pretty laid back here, so a strapless sundress or evening dress would be acceptable. A strapless-corset type top would probably look a little too clubby
good luck!!!!!:)

uwwsweetie 05-16-2003 12:22 AM

Makeup

I think this will answer some questions about keeping yourself primped during rush when its hot out...

The physician formula products aren't worth your money unles you have sensitive skin - that is what it was designed for, a french guy a couple decades ago had it specifically designed for his wife cause she had such sensitive skin she couldnt wear anything else - so i wouldn't recomend wasting money on it unless you have super sensitive skin.

The clean and clear blotters are a life saver as is the clean and clear blue stuff -i should know what its called but i dont, it comes in a lil tiny compact thingy and had a poof thing to put it on - it helps with oil and other things greatly

dont forget at night to wash your face VERY well after using all of these products otherwise you will end up with horrible blemishes. Another way to REALLY help oily skin and prevent blemishes is to make sure you ALWAYS use lotion on your face right after washing it - if your face gets dried out from being washed it will go into mass production mode and you will end up with tons of oil.

a really great makeup product also is the Cover Girl aqua smooth - its thin enough you can just use it as a cover up for small spots but also nice enough you can use it as an actual foundation and it mattes pretty well.

also make sure you wear a waterproof mascara!!!!!

If you guys have any questions on make-up let me know. I have tons of information on all of the makeup you can buy at a walmart, kmart, target, walgreens or any other store like that!

Sistermadly 05-16-2003 01:19 AM

MAC Blot Powder

Regarding makeup, I'd like to throw in my ringing endorsement of MAC's Blot Powder. It's the only pressed powder I've ever used that doesn't cake up no matter how much/how frequently you use it. Ever.

Edited to add: Use a brush, not the puff. It goes on much lighter that way.

MSKKG 05-16-2003 07:26 AM

What about carrying one of those personal fans, either with the spray bottle or without? I know these have been lifesavers at my sons' baseball games for them and me! I keep the water bottle in the fridge--oh, boy, is THAT refreshing on these hot S.C. summer days!

RedFox 05-16-2003 08:54 AM

What I plan to do

Since I'm rushing in the fall, i was also thinking about make up...pretend like your going to an interview for a job (but obviously not as "formal")...I'm probably not going to over do it on the makeup and just accent little things like eyes, a little shadow, liner and mascara and some blush and a fair colored lipstick or just lipgloss...I'm sure the sisters don't want girls trying to come in looking weird with huge cat eyes or bright red or dark dark lipstick haha, remember we're making a first impression, so its gotta last :) I also second those clean and clear oil sheets...also, what I find that works well are those mini listerine pocket pack things...just to make sure *since you obviously can't brush between houses really* that your breath smells super fresh and clean :) Thanks for all the advice sisters! We rushees are so thankful!!! Good luck again to all those rushing!

ilovemyglo 05-16-2003 09:28 AM

my hair is thick and in KY thick and natural curly means POOF!! I get frizzies like no other, especially since i straighten my hair, so my advice for hair is this:
It looks better down, #1 unless you are going to pref and have an updo... I am sure that this is probably true for LSU too. Everyone looks more femine with their hair down, and for some reason it is just more attractive.
SO!- if you want that fresh "just curled, but not frizzy, thick gorgeous locks in the dead heat of Summer in the humid south" look" Let me suggest a few things:
1- a shine product, such as KMS Flat out shine spray- the silicone coats your hair (not in a nasty way, it locks in the good stuff) and makes it shiny, and prevents the moisture and humidity getting to it, thus- no frizzies!
2- using straightening products in general. On thick hair it doesn't "Weigh" your hair down, thicker hair naturally has more bounce and body. So if you use these products and then curl your hair they will do their part to keep your frizzies down and when you curl it will look sleeker but still have curl.
3.- Do not get it cut less than a week before so you have time to get used to styling it and getting it to do what you want before rush.
NOTE:: This is for THICK HAIR!! Don't do this if you have thin hair it will make your hair a living nightmare!

As for makeup:
-Stay away from thick foundations, use concealer and powder to cover blemishes (Clinique makes a great concealer that stays PUT!)
-Use the oil blotting sheets between houses, which has already been listed, also another good idea is BABY POWDER! It doesn't have a scent, and it absorbs... as a matter of fact I would put it on my underarms after using my anti perspirent (spelling?) to ensure I didn't have pit stains on my outfits.
-Make sure you use a good eyeliner, the cheap ones melt on you and run (just like mascara). Revlon has a good stay put one.....
- try NOT to wear perfumes, sisters as well as rush guests are allergic...
OH And if you can use SKIN SO SoFT by AVON- remember in the south at night, BUGS BUGS BUGS- you don't want your 2nd night to be spent covering bug bites!
When I think of more I will post.

justamom 05-16-2003 09:54 AM

Oh, and another thing -- to keep cool I was thinking about incorporationg a few strapless items into my rush ensemble. Not hoochie-strapless, but classy and chic. Should strapless items be avoided, or might they be considered too revealing?

Timeless advice-
Remember, a woman should always enter a room before her dress.
Oh how I HATE being the party pooper, but I'm not so sure this is such good idea, unless you have sweater or something to wear indoors
One comment my daughter made after last year's recruitment
referred to the attire of the PNMs. She said there was an unusual number of girls dressed like they were going to a club. (Actually, she didn't put it quite that way...)

Remember, it was only 2 years ago that she went through and was warned about spaghetti straps-though I believe that was an overstatement. I know this advice can fly in the face of fiercely independent women, but it is far, FAR better to err on the conservative side. The very best comparison I've heard from her, GC and mothers (like a solid "rule of thumb") dress like you are going to a luncheon with your Grandmother and her friends. Maybe someone can recall the exact statement. There are some days during recruitment that you will be able to express you individuality more than others-but choose carefully.

Though all this may seem like overkill, please don't lose sight of the process and end result.
There are 10 NPC sororities
Some are more conservative than others
ALL are seeking women who can interact in every imaginable social situation, from foam parties to formal and everything in-between.
Recruitment is the time when all the sororities show THEIR best faces as well.
Now ask yourself-If you were having a formal dinner party and all but one or two guests showed up in cocktail dresses/coat and tie, how would you feel about the guest who came in a formal (overdressed) or a simple sun dress (underdressed)? Personally, I would feel embarrassed FOR them as well as a bit disappointed that they didn't care enough to dress accordingly. If they were close friends, it wouldn't matter, but these girls don't know you yet.
Your choice in attire says MORE about you than you realize. It's the only image these women have of you in a possible group of 800-900 young women. DO NOT GET LABELED! Don't become the girl in that red spandex dress or the girl with the blueberry eye shadow. Make your statement with your personality. Grace it with unique jewelry and accessories or a color that compliments you.

I have seen some darling strapless outfits that are classic in design and conservative in appearance. Yet, how would you feel if there was only a handful of girls going strapless (perhaps none in your group)? If this would give you pause, it might affect your confidence at the parties.

smiley21 05-16-2003 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by justamom

Timeless advice-
Remember, a woman should always enter a room before her dress.
Oh how I HATE being the party pooper, but I'm not so sure this is such good idea, unless you have sweater or something to wear indoors
One comment my daughter made after last year's recruitment
referred to the attire of the PNMs. She said there was an unusual number of girls dressed like they were going to a club. (Actually, she didn't put it quite that way...)

Remember, it was only 2 years ago that she went through and was warned about spaghetti straps-though I believe that was an overstatement. I know this advice can fly in the face of fiercely independent women, but it is far, FAR better to err on the conservative side. The very best comparison I've heard from her, GC and mothers (like a solid "rule of thumb") dress like you are going to a luncheon with your Grandmother and her friends. Maybe someone can recall the exact statement. There are some days during recruitment that you will be able to express you individuality more than others-but choose carefully.

Though all this may seem like overkill, please don't lose sight of the process and end result.
There are 10 NPC sororities
Some are more conservative than others
ALL are seeking women who can interact in every imaginable social situation, from foam parties to formal and everything in-between.
Recruitment is the time when all the sororities show THEIR best faces as well.
Now ask yourself-If you were having a formal dinner party and all but one or two guests showed up in cocktail dresses/coat and tie, how would you feel about the guest who came in a formal (overdressed) or a simple sun dress (underdressed)? Personally, I would feel embarrassed FOR them as well as a bit disappointed that they didn't care enough to dress accordingly. If they were close friends, it wouldn't matter, but these girls don't know you yet.
Your choice in attire says MORE about you than you realize. It's the only image these women have of you in a possible group of 800-900 young women. DO NOT GET LABELED! Don't become the girl in that red spandex dress or the girl with the blueberry eye shadow. Make your statement with your personality. Grace it with unique jewelry and accessories or a color that compliments you.

I have seen some darling strapless outfits that are classic in design and conservative in appearance. Yet, how would you feel if there was only a handful of girls going strapless (perhaps none in your group)? If this would give you pause, it might affect your confidence at the parties.

such wisdom...
i am not worthy. i am not worthy....;)

uwwsweetie 05-16-2003 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Makeup

Quote:

Originally posted by aurora_borealis
I have very very fair skin and it is sensitive, so I plan to try it. It was on sale at work the week before last so I picked some up. I got that Cover Girl foundation since I am waiting to go to Sephora when I get home and it is nice stuff. My biggest issue is keeping eye makeup ON my eyelids. What a pain.
Try putting your foundation on your eyelids first. Also make-up counters in department stores often sell products designed to help keep your makeu p on you and i know thaqt one of them makes something for your eyes

since you do have sensitive skin then i really hope that the physicians formula works for you - its a wonderful product and i sell it often :)

shadokat 05-16-2003 11:43 AM

I could never keep eyeliner on in the heat, and a friend of mine taught me a trick. Instead of using eyeliner, use a powder eyeshadow with a contour brush. Wet the brush, then wet the shadow and then line your eye! I swear to you it will not melt off!!! As for good mascara, go cheap and get Covergirl Marathon Mascara in Brown...I swear, you'll have it on for 3 days, no raccoon eyes :)

I like the strapless dress idea, with a little short sleeved or cap sleeved cardigan. You'll be great moxie!

GeekyPenguin 05-16-2003 12:23 PM

To keep eye makeup on, I always put moisturizer and foundation on my eyelids when I do the rest of my face...it really helps! Sheer Blonde Dream Cream is really really good at minimizing frizz - I have naturally wavy hair that is layered, so I abuse that bad boy in the summers!

maggieaxid 05-16-2003 12:28 PM

I live for physicians formula make-up. i am absolutely allergic to everything and even though most products say "hypo allergenic"i still get huge hivey blotches or blood shot eyes from them. If you have allergies, i highly reccomend the physicians formula line.
our official rush is in january, but we did have a few "meet the greeks"parties in the hot september & october NC heat and they were all outside.
We were always told less is more in the heat. granted, you should wear some makeup, but you can always tell the girls who show up wearing their nite-time makeup. The girls who just wore some fresh pressed powder, some eyeshadow, lite eyelinear (or do that thing with the eyeshadow as a eye liner- it sooo works!) and a little blush- i would def stay away from the heavy liquid foundations.

as for the strapless...i ditto everyone elses sentiments. only for pref in a very classy way, or if its a cute dress (like the ones from jcrew or lilly) with a cardigan top for an evening party. i def. would not wear a strapless shirt.