GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Transferring to a new University after going ALUM (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=242883)

lilmac97 03-01-2018 12:20 AM

Transferring to a new University after going ALUM

HI!

(a little background...)
So I have an ankle injury that happened during the first semester of this school year and due to it, I went ALUM this past semester since I couldn't return to school in Ohio. (Lots of therapy and possibly 2 surgeries.) I am only a sophomore in college.

(now to my problem/wonder...)
I am possibly transferring to a closer school to home that does have a chapter from my sorority. I would love to be apart of the sorority if I do end up transferring. I was going to take online classes (I am this semester), but I have learned this is not the educational path I want to continue.

Is there any way possible that I can go un-ALUM at a new University and try to be apart of the sororities chapter on the campus?

thetalady 03-01-2018 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmac97 (Post 2454396)
HI!

(a little background...)
So I have an ankle injury that happened during the first semester of this school year and due to it, I went ALUM this past semester since I couldn't return to school in Ohio. (Lots of therapy and possibly 2 surgeries.) I am only a sophomore in college.

I am possibly transferring to a closer school to home that does have a chapter from my sorority. I would love to be apart of the sorority if I do end up transferring. I was going to take online classes (I am this semester), but I have learned this is not the educational path I want to continue.

Is there any way possible that I can go un-ALUM at a new University and try to be apart of the sororities chapter on the campus?

That is very specific policy for each sorority. Contact your HQ and they will have all of the answers for you. Much better idea than just having us guess here. I bet that if you left your chapter with all of your dues & fees paid up, you will be able to affiliate with your chapter at the new school.

Good luck!

naraht 03-01-2018 06:45 AM

(From Previous posts, she is an AOII, not sure if anyone has that specific information)

ASTalumna06 03-01-2018 09:29 AM

You want to be "a part" of the sorority; not "apart". The latter means you want to be separated from the sorority.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

As thetalady said, contact your HQ - they will be able to give you more information specific to your sorority.

Good luck to you!

AOIILisa 03-01-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmac97 (Post 2454396)
HI!

(a little background...)

I would contact IHQ for the specifics, what I do know is that we don't require transfers to be voted on by the new chapter, but you have to make sure you left your old chapter in good standing (aka owing no money, etc.) IHQ will have to undo your alum status and return you to active status, but they'll be able to provide more info. Good luck!

AnchorAlumna 03-01-2018 05:54 PM

I always suggest that before affiliating, the new student gets to know the chapter. Call 'em up and tell 'em you are on campus. Hang out, get to know the girls there.
They might be VERY different from your old chapter. You may all get along together - wonderful! So you affiliate.
Or...they're totally unlike your old chapter, and you're not happy. If you've affiliated, the only way to get out of the mess is to resign, which means you would NOT be an alum - you'd be a non-member. If you hadn't affiliated, at least you would still have your alumnae status.
So...I would suggest to go slow and see how things work out.
Good luck!