GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Hello!!-Future PNM (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=232998)

elanyaya 08-06-2017 11:34 PM

Hello!!-Future PNM

Hello everyone!

TXDG 08-06-2017 11:50 PM

First, I recommend editing your post because you provided a lot of info that will make it very easy for Baylor actives to figure out who you are.

Second, I think you have not looked hard enough for recs. Have you exhausted each and every one of these groups of women??
-Your neighbors
-Your former teachers (high school) and professors
-Your friends' mothers, grandmothers, and older sisters
-Your mom and grandmas friends
-Women you know from church, volunteer and community activities, part time jobs, etc
-Friends at your current college who are Greek can introduce you to local alumnae volunteers / advisors

If you find even a few women in your life who are sorority members, it's highly likely they can help connect you to women who are alumnae of other chapters.

Last resort- post on Facebook that you are going to be a pnm at Baylor and are seeking recs for those chapters and (with their permission) tag your mother, grandmothers, and sisters so that all their friends see the post. I cannot imagine you wouldn't find at least 1-2 recs that way.

Baylor rush is competitive and especially so for an upperclassman. To have a fighting chance at a bid, you'll need strong recs for every house.

AZTheta 08-07-2017 07:51 AM

Please edit your post ASAP. All this oversharing - sheesh. Yes I'm grumbling and showing my age.

1) Your case is not unique. Disabuse yourself of that notion ASAP. Being a junior is a disadvantage. Having 3 more years of school may or may not be a helpful factor.

2) there are excellent posts in the Recruitment Forum here on how to obtain recs. No need to start another thread. TXDG gave you great suggestions. And I would add this: ask your male friends, relatives, teachers, banker, grocer, what have you. Everyone you encounter, essentially. Figure out how to work it into conversation gracefully. My banker's wife is an NPC alumna and so is my mechanic's wife. We alumnae are everywhere. Even in a remote mountain town of 600 people (there are at least three NPC alums living there, possibly more). Get the point?

3) Get busy! and good luck.

andthen 08-07-2017 09:46 AM

Just to add I'm not sure which part of the DMV you're in, but Northern Virginia does have an alumnae panhellenic facebook page so if you reach out to them you might be able to get some assistance in procuring recs. Best of luck to you.

FSUZeta 08-07-2017 06:43 PM

Per National Panhellenic Conference, you cannot be required to get recommendations. That being said, depending on the campus, it can work to your advantage to get recommendations. Baylor would fall into that category. In addition, some sororities require their chapters to have a recommendation for each new member before they are pledged.

33girl 08-07-2017 07:46 PM

What FSUZeta is saying is that technically you can go thru rush at Baylor without recs. But technically, you can walk into church wearing a bikini and a cowboy hat as well. Both of these plans are equally unwise.

NOVA is so full of transplants from everywhere that you should have zero trouble locating members of all 26 NPC sororities, let alone just the ones you need for Baylor.