GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana University Recruitment 2017 (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=224841)

ForeverRoses 01-02-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUMomma (Post 2425101)
Got it!

That seems reasonable:) I keep preaching keeping an open mind and that her feelings may change as the process goes on.

We are just thankful it's finally time to get started!

Temperatures are supposed to drop on Friday, so hopefully your daughter can stay warm!

IUMomma 01-02-2017 08:53 PM

We have been watching the weather and I think she has everything she needs. But, those are some VERY VERY COLD temps!

Thankfully, it's not sleet, ice, or inches and inches of snow!

IndianaSigKap 01-02-2017 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUMomma (Post 2425104)
We have been watching the weather and I think she has everything she needs. But, those are some VERY VERY COLD temps!

Thankfully, it's not sleet, ice, or inches and inches of snow!

When I went through recruitment, back in the dark ages when it was still called rush, it was so cold that winter that I parked my car near each house and stayed in it with the heat blasting until a few minute before the doors opened. Outside of one house, I had 7 girls in my tiny car. :-) We must have looked like a clown car when we all rolled out of there.

Hope she (and all the PNMs) stay warm!! and safe!!

IUMomma 01-02-2017 09:34 PM

That has me tempted to let her have a car for the first couple of weeks;) If it weren't for having to move it for those pesky basketball games, it sounds like a great plan!

ForeverRoses 01-03-2017 08:51 AM

I know when it gets really cold (and panhel approves it), we let the women come in the back door and wait in one of our side stairwells. Then they have to walk outside from the back of the house to the front and come back in the front door at the start of the party. It's not ideal, but it keeps everyone from turning into human popsicles.

jolene 01-03-2017 10:15 AM

Brrr! IU needs to switch to fall recruitment. Why do they wait for January?

IUMomma 01-03-2017 10:50 AM

I don't know the official reasoning, but I think there are many pluses and minuses with fall vs. "spring" recruitment. I think they claim it's to focus on academics first, but it seems so long to wait!

I really do wish they would have done fall though! So much easier (and cheaper!) to buy clothes for August and heat is easier than this extreme cold or even worse, snow storms like a few years ago!

ForeverRoses 01-03-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolene (Post 2425125)
Brrr! IU needs to switch to fall recruitment. Why do they wait for January?

The last time changing recruitment was discussed, the chapters were given a fall option- but it would have meant doing all of recruitment during the week of fall break in October. The chapters decided to move to completely differed recruitment.

There was a time when the open house rounds were held in early December and the rest of recruitment was in January. PanHellenic received a lot of negative feedback from parents and the school newspaper because the weekend was stressful and it wasn't "fair" to have recruitment during classes.

Since the majority of women sign up for recruitment once they are already on campus, I think moving to before school starts would cause many women that end up going through to miss the opportunity. but that's just my opinion.

SAMKD 01-03-2017 04:40 PM

23 houses - can't imagine!!

IUMomma 01-03-2017 05:43 PM

Quick question - does anyone know if IU hands out booklets for the PNMs to take note in? Trying to pack the tote bag that she will take with her:)

Sister Havana 01-03-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverRoses (Post 2425129)

There was a time when the open house rounds were held in early December and the rest of recruitment was in January. PanHellenic received a lot of negative feedback from parents and the school newspaper because the weekend was stressful and it wasn't "fair" to have recruitment during classes.

Back in the Dark Ages when I was at IU, the first round was held on a weekend in October and the rest was done in January. Talk about a long wait between first and second rounds!

SAMKD 01-04-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUMomma (Post 2425144)
Quick question - does anyone know if IU hands out booklets for the PNMs to take note in? Trying to pack the tote bag that she will take with her:)

I don't know anything specific about IU's recruitment, but I think it would probably be a very good idea for you to have a small notepad and pen or pencil in there for her to jot down impressions when she has a moment between houses. My daughter didn't have one and wound up trying to take notes on her schedule! Best of luck to your daughter – hope she has a fun recruitment and that it doesn't get too cold up there.

IUAnon 01-04-2017 03:10 PM

Hi! Just saw this. My daughter went through rush at IU last year. She took notes on her phone in between parties and it was a huge help. Have your daughter write down who she talked to, what they talked about, what she loved/disliked, and a few adjectives that best describe the "vibe" and the girls in the chapter. It will come in VERY handy when she has to rank all the chapters, especially when there are so many in the beginning.

FSUZeta 01-04-2017 04:23 PM

Great advice.

IUMomma 01-04-2017 04:46 PM

Thanks so much! That is exactly what our plan is! She will keep pencil and paper, but the plan is to text the notes from each house to me so I can keep a copy here at home in case something happens with her phone. Then I will assemble and resend them to her while she is at her last house and she can rank accordingly.

She goes into her first house in 15 minutes!