GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   What are ya reading? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=150076)

Tom Earp 07-14-2015 03:07 PM

About 2 books every 1 to 1 week and 1/2. LOL! Just all kinds!!:cool:

Wide open reading!

When you get done with books, PLEASE PASS THEM LONG with the stipulation that they do also, I do!
:cool:

honeychile 07-14-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaffyKD (Post 2320647)
Currently reading The English Spy by Daniel Silva. It is the latest in his Gabriel Allon series. I love his spy novels and they keep me on the edge of my seat.

DaffyKD

LOVE them! Haven't read The English Spy yet, but I did pick up Brad Thor's Code of Conduct this weekend. I love his books, too, and have met him more than a few times on book tours. YUMMY!

jolene 07-14-2015 06:42 PM

HC, Brad is easy on the eyes.

I love audiobooks (they were vital when I trained/ran my only marathon in late '13) and found some narrators I loved. Phil Gigante narrates some of the Silva books. Great voice. I'd listen to him read the phonebook. If anyone wants audio suggestions, just let me know. :D A narrator can make or break an audiobook. Love the Hunger Games series, but the narrator is way wrong/bad casting. A woman who sounds 50+ years old narrating as a teenager? She also doesn't switch voices well.

MooseGirl 07-14-2015 10:00 PM

I agree with Carnation's suggestion of Pioneer Girl; I read it earlier this year and loved it.

Currently listening to Homeland by Cory Doctorow, narrated by Wil Wheaton, and reading Prairie Fire, sequel to the Story of Owen which is a YA novel set in current times, but with dragons!

I also read the Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton today. It's a picture book about a warrior princess who wants a war horse and gets a roly poly pony instead. (Don't worry, the battle scene only involves spitballs.)

Griffins&Quills 08-22-2015 11:35 PM

Finished the Divergent series, liked it, but was not happy with the ending. And Google refuses to put anything on my wishlist for sale, so, I'm on to Atlas Shrugged, which I've had in my library a while.

jolene 08-23-2015 04:05 PM

Just finished up "The Help." I know, I know. I'm one of those weird people who wait to read the 'big it books.' I usually wait until the hoopla dies down (in this case waited years) and then read it. I haven't read Harry Potter yet. One day I will. lol I either read it before something becomes big or wait years after. I volunteer at the library I used to work at was shelving audiobooks and TH was one of them and checked it out. The narrators are fabulous. I checked out the movie too. Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain are my favorite movie couple. :D I'm about to start "After Perfect" (regular non audiobook) by Christina McDowell.

ThetaPrincess24 08-23-2015 06:01 PM

I am reading several at a time:

Eragon series by Christopher Paolini, I am almost at the end of Eragon (Book 1).
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
The iRest Program for Healing PTSD by Richard C. Miller, PhD

LIXO 08-23-2015 08:25 PM

The Kitchen House is an excellent read

APhiLife 08-24-2015 04:15 PM

Just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was really interesting but kind of depressing....

Right now I am reading Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand based on the life story of Louis Zamperini. So far it is really good!

Tom Earp 08-26-2015 01:31 PM

Black House by Stephen King!!

It is a whole lot strange!!! WOW!

Still BLUTANG 08-26-2015 03:51 PM

Recently finished Ta-Nahesi Coates' Between the World and Me, and now I'm midway through The Orphan Master's Son.

Tom Earp 09-06-2015 08:30 AM

Getting into the New "History of Lambda Chi Alpha" written by Brother Mike Raymond.

I was amazed when Brother J B Glass pointed out I was listed in it!!

I guess that kind of makes me a bit famous in L X A. LOL!:D

Cheerio 09-06-2015 05:55 PM

Well, NOT the spam...

Tom Earp 09-11-2015 02:20 PM

Thomas Harris,

Black Sunday!

honeychile 09-11-2015 04:40 PM

I tend to use audiobooks when I'm driving longer distances - they keep me awake. As a huge fan of Maeve Binchy, I love hearing that Irish brogue narrating her stories. I picture Maeve as being the person in Medieval Times, going from village to village and telling stories, and the brogue brings that to life.

I like whomever narrates David Baldacci's books, too. Zero Day was especially great to hear while driving through West Virginia!

I'm currently reading David Baldacci's The Target (Robie & Reel, for those into his series), and just finished rereading Irving Wallace's Seventh Secret.

Is anyone else into the Hannah Swenson series, by Joanne Fluke? I really enjoy them, mind-candy that they are. I was most upset to see Hallmark make a movie out of one, but didn't use the right actress AT ALL though! Any other thoughts?