GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Indiana University RUSH (incoming freshman) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=114776)

EyeYou 07-15-2010 03:59 PM

Indiana University RUSH (incoming freshman)

Hi guys! My name's Jason and Im going to IU next year as a freshmen. So excited for college and getting ready for Greek!

I just had a few questions that have been on my mind about the Greek system at IU (or big schools in general).

1- Ive been told that IU offers a fall rush... First off, is there a fall rush at IU?? But the real question is- for those who decided to rush (or not to rush) in the fall-did you regret not waiting or waiting to rush in the fall?

2- In a big school like Indiana Ive been told getting a bid is very very hard, especially with the big dog frats on campus... How hard is it to get a bid at these large schools and does it become easier to get bids during a spring rush?

3- Finally, is hazing going to be a big deal at a big school? Will it be hard for me to get to class and do well with constant hazing off the bat?

Thanks a lot guys
Jason

iugreek1 08-04-2010 02:59 PM

Hello,
I am an IU junior in the Delta Chi fraternity and I’m sure I can help you out with some of these questions.
1. Fall rush will begin September 11th at a kickoff in Dunn Meadow which is next to the IU Memorial Union. It is the largest rush that occurs and Indiana, and accounts for probably 75% of the people that go Greek at IU each year. Fall rush typically lasts a few weeks, and includes house tours (Sept 18th-19th) as well as many rush events. While I waited to rush until a winter class (which a few fraternities have), many guys do fall rush to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Ultimately, deciding whether or not to do Fall rush depends on if you have found a house that you feel comfortable with. Choosing a fraternity is like choosing a school; you’ll know when it’s the right place. If you feel like you have found a place that is the right fit, then go for it. If not, almost all fraternities have a Spring class which you could join.
2. Getting offered a bid is difficult for most fraternities. In order to get a bid, I’d recommend zeroing in on a fraternity that you like as quickly as possible, and then spending as much time at that house going to recruitment events as you can to get to know the brothers as best you can. Ultimately, going to parties and meeting brothers there is a poor way to get a bid, but spending time at rush events or just hanging out at the house is a good way to go. Be outgoing and talk to and meet as many brothers as you can. You never know if that brother is a member of bid committee or will make the difference in getting you a bid. Whether getting a bid during Fall or Spring rush is easier depends on the fraternity. Some fraternities recruit huge classes during the fall and hardly recruit during the Spring while some put more emphasis on the Spring (or winter class if they have one). I would recommend giving Fall rush a try for sure, and if it doesn’t work out you’ll have another chance during the year.
3. Whether hazing occurs or not depends on the fraternity. Some have reputations for a very difficult pledgeship, while some are more moderate. What this means, however, is that you should be able to find a fraternity that has the same values as you do, and has a pledgeship that is in alignment with what you want. While members won’t tell you specific details about their pledgeship, don’t be afraid to tell them that school work is important to you and you can’t afford to get bad grades. If their response doesn’t match what you want, it’s time to move on to another fraternity. Many including mine have mandatory study tables and take academics during pledgeship seriously.
At least for us, personally, I would join our rush group on facebook (IU Delta Chi Fall Rush 2010) so you can get in the loop as quickly as possible. Many fraternities have groups that you can join that will get you a head start to rushing.
Hope this helps.
Fraternally,
ΔX