GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top 25 National Groups (The Daily Beast) (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=128671)

Kevin 08-06-2012 02:40 PM

Top 25 National Groups (The Daily Beast)

Quote:

For all the attention devoted to the hazing practices and bullying of a few collegiate fraternities, the average Greek frat brother is more active in his community and has a higher G.P.A. than his non-fraternity peers. In order to compare the 75 fraternities that are members of the North-American Interfraternity Conference, we first considered the number of active collegiate chapters for each. We also considered the number of alumni who are currently members of the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as the alumni, if any, who became president. Lastly, we considered the amount of money the fraternity’s non-profit fund donated to 501(c)(3) organizations according the most recent public filing (funds were normalized using a per-chapter ratio). Funds donated to individual chapters, classified as a 501(c)(7) non-profit social club, were not considered for this aspect of the ranking.

25. Delta Upsilon (ΔY)

Active Collegiate Chapters: 76
Number of Congressional Alumni: 3
Number of Presidential Alumni: 1
Funds donated through the Delta Upsilon Foundation to 501(c)(3)s:$35,022

24. Phi Beta Sigma (ΦBΣ)

Active Collegiate Chapters: 152
Number of Congressional Alumni: 2
Number of Presidential Alumni: 1
Funds donated through the Phi Beta Sigma Foundation to 501(c)(3)s: $0

23. Phi Kappa Sigma (ΦKΣ)

Active Collegiate Chapters: 48
Number of Congressional Alumni: n/a
Number of Presidential Alumni: n/a
Funds donated through the Phi Kappa Sigma Foundation to 501(c)(3)s: $157,843
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...es-photos.html

Strange methodology. I'm not sure I buy 501(c)(3) donations and especially the number of congressmen/Presidents in the alumni ranks as solid criteria.

happilyanchored 08-06-2012 02:49 PM

There is also one for sororities that's been passed around a bunch of my friends: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...ororities.html

It's...interesting to say the least. I don't think it's possible to quantify or truly rank sororities or fraternities, so I don't exactly see what they're getting at here. Also, the fraternity criteria of "congressional members/presidents" versus the "twitter/facebook followers" sorority criteria is just silly.

I do think it's interesting about the money donated though. It does say something when people continue to insist that all sorority and fraternity members do is party, but they raise and donate such significant amounts of money. Any member of any greek organization should be proud of how much good work we all do.

DeltaBetaBaby 08-06-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happilyanchored (Post 2164616)
There is also one for sororities that's been passed around a bunch of my friends: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...ororities.html
I do think it's interesting about the money donated though. It does say something when people continue to insist that all sorority and fraternity members do is party, but they raise and donate such significant amounts of money. Any member of any greek organization should be proud of how much good work we all do.

Right, but they are hugely mis-representing the amounts donated, because (I think for all groups) some of each group's foundation funds go directly to their own projects. So, like, if the Tri-Lambda Foundation spends 50K planting trees, instead of giving 50K to the Nature Conservancy to plant trees, that money wouldn't be counted.

Kevin 08-06-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2164626)
Right, but they are hugely mis-representing the amounts donated, because a huge amount of each group's foundation funds go directly to their own projects.

Some of those groups donate $0 to 501(c)(3) entities according to this list. That can't possibly be true. I know that TKE, for example, has MDA as its big fundraiser and the local chapter has on occasion held fundraisers.

Now, they're either stealing that money or they're donating it and their HQ has no reporting mechanism. I'm guessing the later is true.

happilyanchored 08-06-2012 03:07 PM

True, but these are still large amounts of money. However, they should certainly state more clearly that it does neglect locally donated funds. That is definitely misleading on their part.

Kevin 08-06-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happilyanchored (Post 2164628)
True, but these are still large amounts of money. However, they should certainly state more clearly that it does neglect locally donated funds. That is definitely misleading on their part.

I can speak for Sigma Nu in that in recent years, we have developed a very highly detailed annual reporting system of which donations to philanthropy is a major component.

Also, alumni donate a lot of money annually to the various 501(c)(3) foundations which award scholarships and assist with educational expenses for members, so there's that also.

As to this list, I think I'd be more interested in total $ invested in physical plants, the size and fiscal health of the foundation, etc. You'd see size and quality going right along with those aspects. A good foundation = a good organization.

LaneSig 08-06-2012 03:28 PM

I really don't have a problem with the list. 

Kevin 08-06-2012 03:40 PM

^ of course not.

(congrats)

Senusret I 08-06-2012 05:03 PM

I understand what they tried to do, but the methodology was flawed, especially for those NIC fraternities which are also NPHC fraternities. APhiA, for example, has more than one associated foundation, and as stated above, the foundation(s) often donate to the fraternity's charitable causes. (And sometimes the fraternity itself will spend operating funds on charitable purposes, rather than using the foundation as a pass-through.) It just all depends.

This is why I feel 501(c)(10) orgs are a better designation for GLOs, as they can be both fraternal and charitable, and donations made to them can be tax deductible as long as it's for a charitable purpose. But as far as my research can tell, those (c)(7) orgs which maintain housing can't get (c)(10) status.

amIblue? 08-06-2012 05:35 PM

I can't believe that they ranked the top 25 of 26 NPC sororities.

Cheerio 08-06-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amIblue? (Post 2164683)

And some of their facts are off...number of ACTIVE chapters, etc. Just unusually unusual criteria/stats. :(

Titchou 08-06-2012 05:51 PM

That's correct about C 10's. And they are C 7's because they are social in nature and have separate Foundations for the C 3 side. Many didn't have C 3's until the late 1900's - after 1950 - so that the C 7 was already up and running for several decades. Also, some have ancillary orgs such as national housing corps which are C 7's except for one that I know for sure is a C 2 - ZTA.

ZTAngel 08-06-2012 07:27 PM

I think their number one choice on the sorority list is spot on! ;)

aephi alum 08-07-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZTAngel (Post 2164710)
I think their number one choice on the sorority list is spot on! ;)

I don't. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by amIblue? (Post 2164683)

That is very strange. The missing NPC is DPhiE, and although I don't know any DPhiEs IRL, I fail to see why this one sorority out of 26 should be excluded - if you're making a top 25 list and there are 26 candidates, why not just rank-order all 26? And what are the criteria?

Kevin 08-07-2012 09:14 AM

The sorority methodology is just bizarre... Twitter followers and Facebook fans as a means to rank?? I guess that's probably better than counting Congressmen.