GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   i want to start a sorority- help me (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=63)

ashley 11-25-1999 04:25 PM

i want to start a sorority- help me

I wish to start a sorority in my school but i am not sure ho to do this. There is one other sorority in my school, but we do not wish to be a little sister chapter to them but we wish to start our own. I'm puzzled on how to start my sorority. How do i pick a name? any special requirements? how can i keep control over my group if we start a sorority? h many people should be in it for a first year? Help me... i would really like to start one in our school....but we/I need help from people who are in sororities. help us!

SilverTurtle 11-26-1999 02:32 PM

The first thing you need to decide is whether you want to be affiliated with a national sorority or be a local sorority.
If you decide you want to be national, you need to contact the NPC (national panhellenic council) to try and become a colony. You can contact them at npccentral@aol.com

You may decide to create a brand new GLO. If that's the case, decide what's important to your group? Do you want to be a social organization, a professional organization, a service organization, etc.?

In either case, you should talk to your student activities office. They will have guidelines and requirements for starting a new student organization. If there is a separate Greek life office, you'll need to get in touch with them, also.

Good luck!

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity for the Creative and Performing Arts.
http://homepages.go.com/~phibetaphichapter/index.html

TauCUTIE09 11-26-1999 04:08 PM

Starting a new organization:
Hi!! I am currently president of the National Panhellenic Council at my university. There is currently a group of women that are trying to start a new organization. First you should see what the campus requirements are to pledge (cum and credit wise--ours is 2.0 and at least 12 credits) second you need to know how many organizations are already on your campus and you should speak to the head of greek life and your university provost. There are 26 national sororites that belong to NPC-if you want to be national you should contact one of those organizations. Now first to become recognized locally you have to consult the university provost and see if there is a campus total--meaning once an organization has reached ex.45sisters they cannot take anymore until some graduate. Now if no organization is even close to total the liklihood of becoming an organization is slim, and national will look at total also, if there are not any organizations close to that your group may not be picked up. Well these are just a few hints and requirements to go by. Hope it helped some!! Good Luck!!

jholdren 01-19-2000 11:19 AM

Hi-
There was some great advice given already concerning university requirements, that's the first step. You'll then need to decide if there is an organization already in existence that has similar ideals and maybe expand with them. If not become a local sorority. It's a little complicated to send in a short email. I'm a National officer for a small, National sorority and we are currently working on expansion so I have some practical advice and tips. I'd love to discuss this with you further. Email me at jholdren@fhai.com

Good luck,
Jennifer

nittanyalum 06-15-2008 12:23 AM

^^^Mods, can we please get rid of this guy spamming his ebook all over the boards?
Quote:

Written by a former Fraternity insider, this handbook gives explicit details on the entire Fraternity process from start to finish. After getting initiated into a Fraternity, he was forced to quit, and began the long journey of creating his own underground organization from the bottom up. Only $10

Kedzman 06-15-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jholdren (Post 204)
Hi-
There was some great advice given already concerning university requirements, that's the first step. You'll then need to decide if there is an organization already in existence that has similar ideals and maybe expand with them. If not become a local sorority. It's a little complicated to send in a short email. I'm a National officer for a small, National sorority and we are currently working on expansion so I have some practical advice and tips. I'd love to discuss this with you further. Email me at jholdren@fhai.com

Good luck,
Jennifer

This is the best advise given thus far. Starting a fraternal organization is all about the intersection of two things... #1 - the need in the marketplace (your university) of another women's organization and #2 - a vision and mission to align yourselves with the values and standards that a particular organization stands for.

Many sororities & fraternities have similar principles from which they were founded and others are very different. I am a Sigma Nu alumnus. SN was founded by Civil War veterans as a protest movement to hazing at VMI. That is very unique and different and has unique appeal for some students on some campuses.

I would take time to reflect upon that which you hold dear. What are your values. What are your ideals. What is your vision & mission? Now research all of the PanHellenic organizations and see which three line up most with that which you hope to accomplish as a new group. Don't take this lightly. You may be starting something that will exist decades from now and even beyond your life on this earth. If you start something, start it with purpose and vision.

Elephant Walk 06-15-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kedzman (Post 1668426)
This is the best advise given thus far. Starting a fraternal organization is all about the intersection of two things... #1 - the need in the marketplace (your university) of another women's organization and #2 - a vision and mission to align yourselves with the values and standards that a particular organization stands for.

Many sororities & fraternities have similar principles from which they were founded and others are very different. I am a Sigma Nu alumnus. SN was founded by Civil War veterans as a protest movement to hazing at VMI. That is very unique and different and has unique appeal for some students on some campuses.

I would take time to reflect upon that which you hold dear. What are your values. What are your ideals. What is your vision & mission? Now research all of the PanHellenic organizations and see which three line up most with that which you hope to accomplish as a new group. Don't take this lightly. You may be starting something that will exist decades from now and even beyond your life on this earth. If you start something, start it with purpose and vision.

Hopefully they're long graduated, because they should be approximately 27 years old now.

Kedzman 06-16-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephant Walk (Post 1668430)
Hopefully they're long graduated, because they should be approximately 27 years old now.

This post makes no sense in this thread... Perhaps you mis-posted?

RU OX Alum 06-16-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kedzman (Post 1668679)
This post makes no sense in this thread... Perhaps you mis-posted?

No, he's right on. This thread was from 1999.

gphi426 06-16-2008 01:45 PM

I think this thread was bumper because a guy spammed in it?

ladiishotta 09-12-2009 11:41 AM

IN NEED OF SERIOUS HELP

I attend Westwood College in Chicago, we're not a university. we're a 3 year college, my friends and i are trying to start a co-ed Frat. We've come up with the name, colors, bi-laws, we have elected officers, our mission is to help foster children between the ages of 13-17 (the ones that dont get adopted as quick), we have fund raising ideas, and we're ready to do this! im looking for a big brother or sister who i can ask questions and ask for advice.

We should be taking all of our information to our administrators soon, pray for us :)

Sasha112 05-20-2010 04:07 AM

ladiishotta, I attended Westwood College too! What are you studying and how do you like it so far? Good look on the co-ed Fraternity!

Windup15 05-26-2010 10:06 PM

There is a great walkthrough on EHow about how to start a sorority.

<link removed by admin>

chickenoodle 05-26-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windup15 (Post 1935457)
There is a great walkthrough on EHow about how to start a sorority.

<link removed by admin>

In four easy steps.

Lol

Barbie's_Rush 05-26-2010 10:31 PM

Holy eleven year old thread bump for spam, Batman!