GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2018/2019 Colonies/Expansions/Charters/Closures (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243690)

FSUZeta 10-13-2018 06:42 AM

Can you explain the general mindset reported in the last link? For instance, the president of the local fraternity cited PDT's high dues, and followed up later with the statement that since becoming local their dues had reduced "some", which makes me think the dues are an excuse, not the main reason.The local sorority president made it sound as if a big grievance was Nationals "interfering" with them. Is she inferring that the chapter was under some sort of double secret probation, or that the chapter didn't like having to fill out reports and comply with national by-laws?

And how are you? Great to see you on the boards again.

Sciencewoman 10-13-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breathesgelatin (Post 2461830)
I'm a little late on this, but many of you will remember the tale of Kappa Delta at Washington and Lee disaffiliating and becoming a local group called Delta Society.

Apparently there is now a local fraternity at Washington and Lee as well, formed in Spring 2018.
https://www.wlu.edu/student-life/stu...-organizations

I guess it's the former Phi Delta Theta chapter, which disaffiliated.
http://ringtumphi.org/3849/news/form...al-fraternity/

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2461839)
Can you explain the general mindset reported in the last link? For instance, the president of the local fraternity cited PDT's high dues, and followed up later with the statement that since becoming local their dues had reduced "some", which makes me think the dues are an excuse, not the main reason.The local sorority president made it sound as if a big grievance was Nationals "interfering" with them. Is she inferring that the chapter was under some sort of double secret probation, or that the chapter didn't like having to fill out reports and comply with national by-laws?

And how are you? Great to see you on the boards again.

For the win on that assumption, FSUZeta. W&L has always posted costs of membership. Check out this year's cost chart:

https://www.wlu.edu/document/fratern...al-obligations

I think this is all about the "dry house" policy. The national fees have been offset by a huge social fee, leaving the new local as the second most expensive fraternity on campus.

W&L has a history of taking a very liberal view toward alcohol. Beer and wine were served for free during the receptions after all of my daughter's choir concerts during Parents' Weekends, IDs are never checked at fraternity parties, IFC-approved parties are openly held in university-owned fraternity housing, there is a university shuttle bus that ferries students around to off-campus fraternity parties on W, F, and Saturdays, etc. Parents' Weekend is a heavy-duty social event, with many parents and students socializing/drinking together. This culture doesn't jive with some of the national group policies, so there is backlash, and these localizations seem to have been supported by the institution.

Obviously, we are in an era where national organizations are attempting to navigate responses to tragedies, negative PR and press, etc. and this has resulted in stricter policies that aim to prevent additional tragedies. And, this particular group said, "no thanks, we like things the way they are here, so we're going local." And the university supports that.

I'm not making any judgment calls -- these are difficult times as we all navigate these issues.

PKT4LIFE 10-13-2018 05:58 PM

Our Boston University colony was installed today as the Zeta Pi chapter. Congrats!

FSUZeta 10-14-2018 07:30 AM

Thanks Sciencewoman.

breathesgelatin 10-14-2018 10:04 PM

Although an alum, I'm not super up on W&L stuff these days. I do think Sciencewoman is right, what's going on at W&L has more to do with alcohol, parties, and national risk management policies than it does high national dues.

While there is definitely merit to the idea that dry house policies just push drinking off campus, and terrifying enough in the W&L context, often way out into the country, I'm pretty shocked the school is taking on insuring the local groups. The cynic in me wonders if that will continue after the first time one of the local groups has an incident, or even when the Dean of Students changes. I note that the Dean doesn't have much background in student affairs..............

Or, maybe the situation will get a lot better with the advent of 3rd year housing and so on.

Sciencewoman 10-14-2018 10:45 PM

^^^ There was a TON of backlash about the 3rd year housing when it was announced, because a vocal number of students felt this was also an attempt to take away the freedoms they'd have in off-campus housing. However, the 3rd year clustered townhouses are really nice (one mom was quoted at move in as saying the kitchen was nicer than their family's home kitchen -- granite, stainless appliances, etc.), and apparently students like it and the resentment has simmered down. I note that there are two student restaurants in the 3rd year housing complex, both of which serve alcohol (a cantina and a pub). So there you go. Generallygreek was really impressed at Young Alum weekend last fall, but also made the comment, "only at W&L."

And now back to your regularly scheduled, non-W&L related colonies, expansions, and closures discussion... :D

33girl 10-14-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breathesgelatin (Post 2461873)

While there is definitely merit to the idea that dry house policies just push drinking off campus, and terrifying enough in the W&L context, often way out into the country

I guess I thought Lexington was far larger than it is. So in reality it goes college, Main Street, corn fields?

breathesgelatin 10-14-2018 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2461874)
^^^ There was a TON of backlash about the 3rd year housing when it was announced [SNIP]

I knew they'd do a really nice job with the third year housing. Student memory is short!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2461875)
I guess I thought Lexington was far larger than it is. So in reality it goes college, Main Street, corn fields?

Pretty much.

clemsongirl 10-14-2018 11:17 PM

Mom and I visited Lexington on the way down to Clemson one time, and we thought VMI and W&L were lovely. I don't remember anything else nearby, though-I once spoke to the assistant director of Greek life who said that their NPHC members were members of the chapters at JMU and I was surprised that they would join chapters that far away. Perhaps there aren't enough alums to start their own on campus.

LaneSig 10-15-2018 09:49 AM

Kappa Alpha Order has closed their chapter at the University of Oklahoma. No reason has been given for the closure.

http://www.normantranscript.com/news...53971dfae.html

Sciencewoman 10-15-2018 01:42 PM

Hot Off the Press News for Gamma Phi Beta!

The University of Kentucky recolonization is happening in Fall, 2019! Yay!!!!! Their Panhellenic voted to move forward with the announced extension selection -- I think this was initially announced a couple years ago in a prior year's thread.

In addition to Baylor and Stockton, we are also presenting at the University of Tampa!

joliebelle 10-15-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2461895)
Hot Off the Press News for Gamma Phi Beta!

The University of Kentucky recolonization is happening in Fall, 2019! Yay!!!!! Their Panhellenic voted to move forward with the announced extension selection -- I think this was initially announced a couple years ago in a prior year's thread.

In addition to Baylor and Stockton, we are also presenting at the University of Tampa!

You beat me to it :)

LaneSig 10-15-2018 02:27 PM

Congratulations to Alpha Gamma Rho on chartering at Arkansas Tech University.

PKT4LIFE 10-15-2018 10:07 PM

Wake Forest has closed Delta Kappa Epsilon due to multiple violations of the student code of conduct.

https://myfox8.com/2018/10/15/wake-f...de-of-conduct/

LaneSig 10-16-2018 12:02 PM

California State University-Chico has fully reinstated recognition of Sigma Chi.

LaneSig 10-17-2018 10:22 AM

Sigma Chi has closed the chapter at the University of Northern Colorado. Closure is due to violations of RMF. The chapter will not return before 2026.

flirt5721 10-17-2018 03:24 PM

The members of Pi Kappa Phi relinquished their charter and are no longer at New Mexico State.

This happened last spring but I was just informed about it.

bevinpiphi 10-17-2018 06:20 PM

The IL Iota chapter at Illinois State University of Pi Beta Phi has voted to close as of May 2019. https://www.pibetaphi.org/pibetaphi/...te_University/

LaneSig 10-17-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevinpiphi (Post 2461988)
The IL Iota chapter at Illinois State University of Pi Beta Phi has voted to close as of May 2019. https://www.pibetaphi.org/pibetaphi/...te_University/

While reading the online announcement, I saw that the Pi Beta Phi chapter at Villanova University(PA) has also chosen to surrender their charter. Hopefully both chapters will be able to successfully return in the near future.

APhi4Ever 10-17-2018 10:47 PM

Tri Delta and Sigma Chi have been placed on interim suspension at UL-Lafayette. Please see link to article below.

http://https://katc.com/news/2018/10/17/ul-fraternity-sorority-on-interim-suspension/

LaneSig 10-18-2018 09:37 AM

Sigma Phi Epsilon has been closed at Dartmouth College(NH) due to RMF.

On a happier note, Plymouth State University(NH) has made a goal to "re-imagine and reinvent" their Greek Life.

' "Greek life began to take shape at the University in the early 1950s and remained an important campus component for nearly 50 years. After a hiatus of more than 15 years, sanctioned fraternities and sororities will return as a key part of a reimagined student success and retention program.

President Donald Birx announced the new direction in March 2018. “Since my arrival at Plymouth State three years ago, I’ve thought often that our campus would benefit from active, community-centered Greek life as I’ve experienced on other campuses during my career,” he said. “Having worked in environments with fraternities and sororities, I found them to be positive factors with an orientation towards service, community, and school pride.' "

https://www.plymouth.edu/magazine/sp...k-life-at-psu/

Sigma Pi has colonized at the college.

BetaIotaDZ 10-18-2018 11:47 AM

The Plymouth State proposal does sound positive. I am confused about the statement that there was a Greek system 50 years ago that has taken a hiatus. Was that system all fraternities? I ask because the NPC recruitment thread shows only DZ and ASA as ever having been on the campus. There do seem to be several local social groups and national service groups that also have Greek letter names. Could this be about encouraging these organizations affiliate with NPC or IFC groups? Or is this about expanding campus membership affiliations to current non-joiners to build bonds for future alumnus? Would enjoy knowing more about what the university offers the groups in the way of group living, dining, meeting, or workshop opportunities as that is what would probably attract interest in national extension on the NPC/IFC end. Support of the administration means everything to any campus endeavor. So glad to read about an administration that sees the mutual benefit of membership in a smaller personal group with being part of a greater educational institution.

Xidelt 10-18-2018 11:58 AM

Plymouth State does currently have Greek life, so it seems like the president instead wants to expand it. Delta Zeta and Kappa Delta Phi NAS have chapters there, along with another local sorority. And there is one fraternity (not sure if it is a colony or not). These are listed on their student organization directory.

PKT4LIFE 10-20-2018 10:58 AM

Pi Kappa Phi at LSU has been placed on suspension due to a potential serious violation.
http://www.lsunow.com/daily/lsu-susp...60e2ec804.html

33girl 10-20-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ (Post 2462002)
The Plymouth State proposal does sound positive. I am confused about the statement that there was a Greek system 50 years ago that has taken a hiatus. Was that system all fraternities? I ask because the NPC recruitment thread shows only DZ and ASA as ever having been on the campus. There do seem to be several local social groups and national service groups that also have Greek letter names. Could this be about encouraging these organizations affiliate with NPC or IFC groups? Or is this about expanding campus membership affiliations to current non-joiners to build bonds for future alumnus? Would enjoy knowing more about what the university offers the groups in the way of group living, dining, meeting, or workshop opportunities as that is what would probably attract interest in national extension on the NPC/IFC end. Support of the administration means everything to any campus endeavor. So glad to read about an administration that sees the mutual benefit of membership in a smaller personal group with being part of a greater educational institution.

A lot of Plymouth’s problems back then came from an incompetent Greek advisor who refused to recognize or assist the (some of them long-standing) locals, even when they requested it and had no desire to be “underground.”

I’m sure most institutions would prefer national groups so as to spread out the responsibility & not have it all on the school, but if that’s not happening, you need to work with what you have instead of belittling and pushing away people.

This new prez is coming from Penn State Behrend so hopefully he is realistic about what to expect for a school of this size and demographics.

LaneSig 10-22-2018 12:28 PM

Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Zeta Tau Alpha- Piedmont College(GA)

Alpha Kappa Lambda- Ohio State University

Kappa Sigma has begun colonization at the University of North Texas.

Lambda Phi Epsilon has been closed at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo. Closure is due to RMF.

PKT4LIFE 10-22-2018 12:40 PM

Our expansion team has begun recolonization of our Omicron chapter at Penn State.

DEVODUDE 10-23-2018 07:59 PM

This past weekend marked an historic event as Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) established its first colony at IDC Herzliya, Israel. 40 men were pinned and initiated as the founding fathers to the new colony. This marks the fourth Country were ZBT is represented. Congratulations Brothers!!!:D

ZBT:"Brotherhood Of A Lifetime"

navane 10-23-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEVODUDE (Post 2462131)
This past weekend marked an historic event as Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) established its first colony at IDC Herzliya, Israel. 40 men were pinned and initiated as the founding fathers to the new colony. This marks the fourth Country were ZBT is represented. Congratulations Brothers!!!:D

Very cool! Congratulations!

LaneSig 10-26-2018 11:47 AM

Pi Kappa Phi has been closed at East Carolina University(NC). Closure is due to RMF.

LaneSig 10-26-2018 06:43 PM

Sigma Nu has closed their chapter at San Diego State University(CA). Closure is due to RMF.

PKT4LIFE 10-27-2018 01:27 AM

New York

*SUNY-Old Westbury: Per the FSL website, there's a moratorium on expansion of new and former organizations. This will be in place for at least the academic year of 2018-2019.

https://www.oldwestbury.edu/life/csli/greek-life

Tom Earp 10-28-2018 06:08 AM

Univ Iowa Suspends:

The nine are: Pi Kappa Alpha, Beta Theta Pi, Pi Kappi Phi, Acacia, Sigma Pi, Phi Delta Theta, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Delta Chi.

University vice president Melissa Shivers says "the blatant and systemic failure to curb holding dangerous open events with alcohol, including tailgates, will stop." At a news conference Wednesday, Shivers didn't describe any specific events or incidents that led to the suspensions.

The suspensions mean the chapters cannot participate in some organization-sponsored meetings, programs, social events, intramural sports or homecoming activities.

LaneSig 10-29-2018 12:16 PM

Congratulations to Tau Epsilon Phi on chartering at the University of Maryland.

APhi2KD 10-29-2018 01:12 PM

Pi Kappa Phi suspended by University of North Texas until 2020 over hazing incident in February. House is reverting back to KΣ.

https://www.dentonrc.com/education/h...c828eb09e.html

LaneSig 10-30-2018 10:43 AM

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.

flirt5721 10-31-2018 12:58 PM

Theta Chi was installed this past weekend at New Mexico State. The have 14 brothers

Sciencewoman 10-31-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaneSig (Post 2462255)

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.

Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized :), but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!

LaneSig 10-31-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2462291)
Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized :), but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!

It is Wayne State, and you are correct. I combined both WSUs and made a mistake.

LaneSig 11-01-2018 11:09 AM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on their recent charter at Illinois State University.