GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Schools where you absolutely positively need recs (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=112718)

UHDEEGEE 07-03-2010 11:07 PM

Not a specific campus, however, this is from DG's web site:

"Are Sponsor Forms required for pledging Delta Gamma?
Yes, being endorsed by a member of Delta Gamma is required for pledging and a Delta Gamma Sponsor Form is the preferred form."

The good news is that a collegian may sign the sponsor form.

violetpretty 07-04-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UHDEEGEE (Post 1950413)
Not a specific campus, however, this is from DG's web site:

"Are Sponsor Forms required for pledging Delta Gamma?
Yes, being endorsed by a member of Delta Gamma is required for pledging and a Delta Gamma Sponsor Form is the preferred form."

The good news is that a collegian may sign the sponsor form.

I think plenty of NPCs "require" a rec before initiation, but there would be empty chapters of DG and other NPCs if a rec were required to get a bid (ie in the Northeast).

Barbie's_Rush 07-04-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auburngirl10 (Post 1950320)
FSU from what I hear doesn't require rec letters, but they do give points for them.

Um no. You don't go to FSU. You aren't a sosority member. You haven't even gone through recruitment or obtained all the recs you need at your school. Please concentrate on your own life and don't post ridiculous lies about things you know nothing about.

FSUZeta 07-04-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auburngirl10 (Post 1950320)
FSU from what I hear doesn't require rec letters, but they do give points for them.

WRONG! if you are rushing at fsu and want to have give yourself the best advantage, you had better have recs!

fsu has as a very competitive recruitment.

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 10:58 AM

USC is super competitive. Recs a plus there.

violetpretty 07-04-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greekmomjo (Post 1950485)
USC is super competitive. Recs a plus there.

I'm not sure which USC you are talking about, but they are both competitive, and they are both already on the list.

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:05 AM

recs and alum letters of support contribute to what my house calls "pre-rush score"--(grades, community service, high school involvement contribute too)

Any recruitment where more girls go thru than there will be spots for, is competitive, some places are super competitve. Panhell offices that tell parents that recs "don't matter, don't worry about them" do PNMs a great dis-service

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:10 AM

TCU for SURE you need recs. I've been asked to contribute/find friends to do MORE letters DURING recruitment to help a girl's score go up. Those girls in Texas take this very seriously, and especailly if you are NOT from Texas, you'd better have strong alum support from "back home". I have found (from the alum side) that SMU is very similar, and the top houses are darn near impossible to crack there unless you have pull inside the house.

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:14 AM

Unversity of Kansas--a big yes, you need recs

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:19 AM

W & L is such a great school. I'd do a rec and a letter for each house. You sound so organized, future officer material! Good luck

33girl 07-04-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greekmomjo (Post 1950487)
Any recruitment where more girls go thru than there will be spots for, is competitive, some places are super competitve. Panhell offices that tell parents that recs "don't matter, don't worry about them" do PNMs a great dis-service

Unless it's a school with a bed rush like Indiana U, there is no such thing as "more girls going through than there will be spots for." Quota is the number of girls at pref (or earlier, which means even MORE spots usually) divided by the number of sororities. There is a spot for everyone if they keep an open mind.

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:22 AM

As usual, I totally agree with KSUviolet. Ignore Panhel and get a rec for every house that you can. Extra letters help at competitve schools.

greekmomjo 07-04-2010 11:25 AM

you know Greek women, you just don't know that you do. Everytime someone asks you where you are going to college, ask THEM if they were in a house where they went to school. Greek women want the best girls in their sororities, and are happy to help you. I have been told that USC is a jungle--and there are too few houses there too.

33girl 07-04-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greekmomjo (Post 1950495)
you know Greek women, you just don't know that you do. Everytime someone asks you where you are going to college, ask THEM if they were in a house where they went to school. Greek women want the best girls in their sororities, and are happy to help you. I have been told that USC is a jungle--and there are too few houses there too.

Again, which USC?

p.s.: There is no length limit on posts. You can make all you've said into one big post. ;)

ADqtPiMel 07-04-2010 11:29 AM

Kentucky people, is it really necessary to have recs at the University of Kentucky? I ask because my high school has been sending increasing numbers of women to UK, most of whom go through recruitment. I've volunteered to write recs for the girls I know well, and they were all happy to receive them but made no effort to get recs to other groups. All of the women who've gone through from our hometown at UK have received bids, most to so-called top-tier groups, with few to no recs.