GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

carnation 07-26-2015 12:02 PM

A chapter sister and I were reminiscing about Batwoman (see early part of the thread) and how she almost shut down a whole chapter with her appearance.

AGDCanada11 07-26-2015 02:01 PM

Bumping this one! :)

carnation 08-08-2015 03:37 PM

Bumping again to remind all you actives that we'd love to hear any weird rush stories for this year!

ChioLu 08-10-2015 05:20 PM

I hear at least 1 a year at UCLA. Probably because about 70% are 1st time Greeks in their families that they don't know what to do or expect.

clemsongirl 08-10-2015 10:25 PM

My BFF is the University of Northern Colorado Panhellenic president and as such hears all the weird sorority recruitment stories on that campus. She said that one PNM went through last year and stole a picture frame from one of the houses, then when asked why just said "Because I wanted to". She was not allowed to continue recruitment!

APhiLife 08-15-2015 02:50 PM

So when one of my younger sisters rushed 2 years ago she said she immediately noticed that a few houses stuck out because they were all blondes. She said people on campus called one end of Greek Row the Valley of the Blondes....If you joined those houses as a brunette you would soon be a blonde.
My sister has a very fair complexion with jet black hair and bright green eyes. She said at one of the "all Blonde" houses a girl rushing her leaned in really close and said, "Wow! Your eyes are soo green. I have never seen eyes that green with dark hair before."
My sister replied, "Oh thank you! I am Hungarian." and the girl exclaims, "Like from the Hunger Games?" and my sister just said she kind of looked at her and tried not to bust up laughing and the girl put her hand over her mouth and said, "I have no idea why that is the first thing that came into my head..."

tcsparky 09-08-2015 05:28 AM

After the umpteen Recruitments we've had the past month, and NOT A SINGLE WEIRD RUSH STORY?!?!?!

clemsongirl 09-08-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcsparky (Post 2339477)
After the umpteen Recruitments we've had the past month, and NOT A SINGLE WEIRD RUSH STORY?!?!?!

I'm hesitant to post weird rush stories because I've made my chapter and school so obvious and I'm still an active sister. I'm sitting on some good ones until after I think enough time has passed:) That said, I did find out from my BFF that the girl who stole something from the Delta Zeta house at UNCO did get a bid to a different chapter on campus eventually.

Other weird story: my other BFF's coworker went through recruitment this year and preffed three chapters, but ran up to her after Preference rankings were submitted and volunteered, unprompted, "I loved XYZ, but I just couldn't see myself there so I didn't put them down. Sorry!" My friend in XYZ was taken aback by how casually rude she was, and so was I! She also got a bid to a different chapter on campus, but part of me was hoping she didn't out of spite.

ChioLu 09-14-2015 12:19 PM

I mentioned this in another thread but didn't post here -- yet this is weird.
A few years ago at UCLA, over 30 international students signed up for Recruitment and NONE spoke English!
They were all from China and signed up for everything the university sent (because they didn't want miss anything).
Of course, all dropped before Day 1.

ChioLu 09-23-2015 06:52 PM

An LA alumnae who went to UCF (Central Florida) had a interesting Recruitment story.
She was a Rho Chi and randomly stationed one day in front of the Chi O house.
A PNM ripped her dress right before the party started. The Rho Chi had a sewing kit with her and was sewing up the back of the PNM's dress while she was walking up the stairs to go to the party. Enough to get her through the party.

sigmagirl2000 09-23-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2346315)
A few years ago at UCLA, over 30 international students signed up for Recruitment and NONE spoke English!
They were all from China and signed up for everything the university sent (because they didn't want miss anything).

Same thing happened a few years ago at Babson College, except these were 5 middle eastern MEN who signed up for panhellenic recruitment :-O

33girl 09-23-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChioLu (Post 2346315)

Did they pay the fee??

Side note, how on earth do you manage here with no English?

Sciencewoman 09-24-2015 09:24 AM

I've got one that I'll wait to share when recruitment is over.

DeltaBetaBaby 09-24-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2357710)
Did they pay the fee??

Many international students understand English, they are just self-conscious about it.

ChioLu 09-24-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2357710)
Did they pay the fee??

Yes, they paid the fee.

UCLA has several international study programs where the courses are taught in another language. $ $ $