GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Weird rush stories (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=11313)

DeltaEtaKP 07-08-2005 02:01 AM

They tell this story every year before recruitment practice...
One of the girls going through recruitment really didn't like one of the sororities. She went to their house on Philanthropy night and they had M&M's as the snacks. She told her hostess that she didn't like the M&M's that were a certain color (the color of the sorority) so she made the hostess pick them all out. Then, on the way out the door, she did that thing where you act like you are hitting your head on the door. All the sorority girls came running and she just laughed at them. And then, she got asked back the next night! I'm just glad that 1. The sorority she didn't like wasn't mine and 2. I wasn't the one who had to sit with her at a party.

polarpi 07-08-2005 12:42 PM

I wasn't actually there when it happened (I was studying overseas that semester) but the story was told every year after leading up to recruitment....

On preference night, our chapter advisor was usually there to help pass out the refreshments. During one of the parties, our advisor went to serve one of the PNMs her cake and drink, and spilled the drink right down the front of the PNM. The best part of the story, though, is that the PNM still became one of our sisters, and was a great addition to the chapter!

From that point on, though, I think we recruited other helpers to serve the refreshments on preference night...;)

TxGirl 07-08-2005 09:01 PM

Some of my weirdest stories are not what happened in the house - but what happened outside the house. At Texas the frat boys don't have anything do to during workweek or recruitment so they invent fun games with water balloons. Sometimes, they use things other than water to fill the balloons.

We would have women come in to events soaking wet. Some of the worst "fillers" were guacamole and bleach. Of course this was the late 80's and Texas was still a very high frills recruitment. You wouldn't think of going to open house events in anything less than a dress with full hair and makeup and your purse better match your shoes!

One year during workweek our membership advisor got hit with one - luckily it was only filled with water. :D

kddani 07-08-2005 09:02 PM

wow, bleach? that's insane, you could blind someone

TxGirl 07-08-2005 09:06 PM

Yes, bleach. When I went to pick up my bid, we had to stand outside this big building that was across from a tall apt. complex a lot of frat guys lived in. They were up on the room with this giant sling shot (for lack of a better term) shooting huge water filled balloons at us. They broke a window on the building and stopped traffic when they hit a car that was stopped at the stop light.

SouthernXO 07-10-2005 01:05 AM

This isn't a truly "rush" story but it is quite amusing. Well, on bid day everyone gets a bag with their sorority letters on it. Of course all the girls carry them around as bookbags for a long time (at least at my school they do). So I'm standing in line, carrying my bag, at the deli in the student union and this girl behind me taps me on the shoulder and goes "so are you a chi omega?" and, I answer politely that yes, I was. She proceeds to tell me how everyone dropped her during rush, but she was going to do it again and again until someone picked her and asked me what she could do to get picked by Chi O. I was so flabbergasted, I had only been pledging for maybe... 4 weeks and didn't even know about matching or sorority side rush in general. I gave her some pat answer like "be yourself" and tried to be as polite as possible until I could walk away. Come to find out from my other sorority friends, who aren't Chi O, that she did that to them too! Wonder why she never got picked.....

DeltaEtaKP 07-10-2005 03:41 PM

Thankfully, our guys do not throw things out the window during recruitment, (They need the girls' help the next week for their formal recruitment & they know that would tick us off and we wouldn't help) but they do throw things out the windows randomly--flaming socks, balloons full of lard, crisco, laundry detergent, vinegar, urine, dead fish, ketchup... you name it, they throw it. It always seems to be when people are least expecting it. The KD's also have Sobrosa each year, when they try to get their letters in shaving cream on the frat houses... That is when the guys pull out all the stops. It is fun to watch, but I'm glad I'm not participating! (Sorry this post is sort of off topic)

DeltaEtaKP 07-10-2005 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Indie_Superstar
Flaming socks? That could do even more damage than a bowling ball, if the fire spread.......
Well, there is only one group of guys that do the flaming sock thing, and it is when they make their pledges "boats" walk around their house (the outside) in just their boxers--one hand touching the wall and the other touching the fellow boat in front of them. They play really creepy music and throw all kinds of thing at them. This year, the boats were crying, saying they couldn't see, and covered in syrup, and detergent... So the throwing the socks thing is really good since they can't see. They call this practice "sinking the boats" and it happens like a night before their initiation. From what I can gather this has been going on forever. I am kind of surprised they aren't more discreet, but they are a local fraternity=no national rules and although the school has strict anti-hazing rules, they don't do anything about their hazing... again sorry about being off topic.

FSUZeta 07-10-2005 04:21 PM

i have a similar incident to polarpi. at the very first formal recruitment event the chapter i advise was holding, i spilled an entire cooler of lemonade!! i thought the top had been screwed on and was picking the cooler(one of those big round ones with the spigot on it) up to pour some of the lemonade into serving pitchers. as i lifted it, the top came off , the lemonade sloshed onto my hands and the cooler started to slip. i swear it was as if it was happening in slow motion. it hit on one side of the bottom on the floor and just toppled over and then almost all the lemonade spilled onto the carpet. we managed to soak up most of the lemonade, and i ran downstairs to the vending machines and bought all the bottles of lemonade i could. luckily this was the first formal recruitment at the school and there were not a lot of pnms. this happened in one of the ballrooms in the student union.

KSUViolet06 07-10-2005 04:31 PM

This was from last fall. In between rounds, we always make sure to grab mints to keep our breath fresh. Well, on philanthropy day, someone brought in some particularly strong breath strips. They were so strong, they made our eyes water. So when we welcomed our first group of PNM's that day, our eyes were all red and watery as if we were crying. No one took those mints anymore. :)

FSUZeta 07-10-2005 05:04 PM

there was a fraternity house directly across the street from my sorority house when i was in school. we must have been an unending source of entertainment for them , first during work week and then during recruitment. this is back in the day of yard dances . we practiced and coordinated our exits from both pairs of french doors and the double front door, sashaying across the lawn while singing a song of welcome. we would run through the songs(different songs and dances for each day) and dances until we were ready to scream. we were taking a break just sitting in our spots when out of their front door came the sigma chis, perfectly imitating us in song and dance. it was a scream!!

when recruitment week actually rolled around, they would climb out on the roof over their front porch , with poster board and pens and rate the rushees. this always bothered me because it made even the most beautiful girls uncomfortable, and really did nothing to boast the self esteem of those girls who did not rate a 7 or above from the sigma chis. we had lots of girls who were sigma chi little sisters and had the sweetheart of sigma chi three years running, but no one could convince those guys to stop rating the rushees. boys!!!

KSUViolet06 07-10-2005 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ariesrising
One time, a PNM threw a mermaid at us. It was super.
OMG. WHY? :eek:

summer_gphib 07-10-2005 08:38 PM

Our entire chapter was downstairs voting, and the Pikes came and seranaded us-- naked! Unfortunately, we couldn't go upstairs, but had some alums helping us who described it all to us! We were only sorry to miss it. *grin* All they were wearing was their baseball caps*LOL* Now that I think about it, I can think of several times where the frat boys were naked on Greek hill... *LOL*

Indie_Superstar 07-10-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ariesrising
One time, a PNM threw a mermaid at us. It was super.
You mean like, a mermaid doll of some kind?

midwesterngirl 07-10-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ForeverDiamond
man, I hate when that happens! :D
Do you have bad mermaid memories?