GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Piggyback Question RE: Ritual "Things" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=44545)

KillarneyRose 01-01-2004 01:38 AM

Piggyback Question RE: Ritual "Things"

Forgive me if I am wandering too closely into secret territory...

If there are certain "things" your members (or some of them) must wear during your Ritual (for example, robes or gowns or pink lycra catsuits :) ), where do they come from?

Can you buy them through your National? Do you have to make them? Are you allowed to take the pattern to an outside seamstress and have them made there?

We are given a pattern, but the items we wear have to be made by an initiated Delta Zeta since they're pretty distinctive.

On a kind-of-related note, what would you think about pledges paying a certain amount, as part of their initiation fees, to purchase their own personal robe, gown or catsuit? I really like that idea because it would cut down on the "uh oh, what can I wear" dilemma most sisters have run into.

Thanks for your input; and Happy New Year! :)

honeychile 01-01-2004 02:31 AM

We order ALL ritual paraphenalia (catsuits, etc) from our Executive Office. I think there was a time when we could use a pattern, but those days are gone.

I think it does look much nicer when everyone is in basically the same thing, and not just the same color. That bathrobe & sheet thing just turned my stomach!

Not so sure about having a new member pay for her own, as our catsuits are fairly expensive, and that would really run the Initiation fee sky-high. Each chapter is to have more than enough catsuits in stock at any given time.

(Do I really need to explain that I'm having fun with KR's catsuit idea, and that Alpha Delta Pi does NOT wear pink lycra catsuits during initiation, or are we a bit smarter than that?)

(If you must know, they're blue, not pink!)

sherbertlemons 01-01-2004 02:38 AM

I believe all blue owl costumes are ordered through the Fraternity.

However, we must purchase the tiaras ourselves. (Just joking. :) )

ISUKappa 01-01-2004 03:58 AM

Quote:

originally posted by sherbertlemons
I believe all blue owl costumes are ordered through the Fraternity.

However, we must purchase the tiaras ourselves. (Just joking. )

And don't forget about the blue and blue platforms, it would NOT be ritual without the blue and blue platform mary janes! ;)

Seriously, though, we have to order everything through our headquarters.

sherbertlemons 01-01-2004 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ISUKappa
And don't forget about the blue and blue platforms, it would NOT be ritual without the blue and blue platform mary janes! ;)
Really, they should kick you out for mentioning the blue platforms. :D It's a small leap to guess our super secret disco dancing ritual, complete with John Travolta blowup doll.

Ooops, did I just say too much?

Glitter650 01-01-2004 05:17 AM

You use a John blow up doll too ?? and I thought Phi Sig was "first NPC to use a hollywood star in our ritual " but we use grease John... not Saturday night fever john... Our cat suits don't have to be ordered through national.. but some other things... (the blow up doll... the CD of you're the one that I want ) do need to be ordered through our central office.. ;)

PhiPsiRuss 01-01-2004 07:54 AM

The Men's Perspective

We wear lime-green tuxedos, sunglasses, flip-flops, and huge afro wigs, as specified by our founders over 150 years ago.

texas*princess 01-01-2004 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
If you must know, they're blue, not pink!

lol! honeychile, it's ALL about the blue catsuits!!! :p

Kevin 01-01-2004 10:16 AM

There's a guy in Rhode Island that makes our ritual equipment. He makes it for several organizations. When we chartered, I dealt with him directly to purchase our ritual stuff. He does great work by the way.

ISUKappa 01-01-2004 10:20 AM

Quote:

originally posted by Glitter650
You use a John blow up doll too ?? and I thought Phi Sig was "first NPC to use a hollywood star in our ritual " but we use grease John... not Saturday night fever john...
:D I don't know if we were first, but it's definitely SNF John, though, in a pinch, a Welcome Back Kotter John is permissable. Oh wait, I mean, umm. . . noooo, we definitely don't use a light-up dance floor for our super secret disco dancing ritual. ;)

carnation 01-01-2004 10:31 AM

Well, you guys all guessed that Pi Phi has a Native
American initiation because of our arrows, so I might as well say that we buy our Indian paraphernalia from a reservation out West.:D

texas*princess 01-01-2004 10:35 AM

lol carnation!!!

honeychile 01-01-2004 11:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, are any of y'all permitted to take pictures while you're wearing your catsuits, tiaras, etc? That's a big NO!! with us.

And the catsuits look so cute, too!! :(

AUDeltaGam 01-01-2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by honeychile
Just out of curiosity, are any of y'all permitted to take pictures while you're wearing your catsuits, tiaras, etc? That's a big NO!! with us.

And the catsuits look so cute, too!! :(

We can't take pictures while wearing our pink tutus.

WhiteDaisy128 01-01-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

We can't take pictures while wearing our pink tutus.
LAURA!!! I can't believe you told!! Gosh!!! Hehe, all of our stuff comes from EO...even the bronze garters (boy those are heavy!!).