GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Less structured recruitment & quota/total (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93779)

33girl 02-13-2008 05:11 PM

Less structured recruitment & quota/total

Calling - AGDee or someone else who's up on the "new" forms of rush as laid out in the Green Book -

When a school uses something other than standard formal rush (partially structured, minimally structured etc) - is there still a quota set with any of the new structures? If a quota is set, they can't disallow a group from taking it because it makes them go over total, can they?

I think my school may have effed up rush (shocker) and I want to know what I'm talking about.

Ali & jess_pom - go to the yahoogroup!

skylark 02-13-2008 05:23 PM

My green book is still in the mail (I only recently took over as Panhellenic Adviser for my chapter last month), so take this with a grain of salt:

My campus (with guidance from NPC consultants) set up a system of recruitment last spring that abandoned the concept of quota for this past fall's recruitment. Instead, they adopted what the NPC consultants dubbed "bidding to total" in which a group cannot bid any more girls above total. This is mainly because under the traditional system in place on the campus no NPC group had remained at total for more than a couple months after the informal spring COB-recruitment initiations (I know the easiest solution to this would have been lowering total, but the groups other than my own had problems with this for whatever reason). Now I don't know if "bidding to total" is what you were asking about, but this is the system that the NPC consultants helped set up themselves when it was apparent that total wasn't going to be lowered.

I wish I could help you out more, but until I get that green book I think I'm probably in the dark on specifics.

I'll definitely be subscribing to this thread for my own education, though!

lauralaylin 02-13-2008 07:44 PM

There is quota with Partially Structured Recruitment. The chapters should still be allowed to go over total if there is quota, but from what I've learned with modified recruitment, every school has their own rules, and some of them are quite strange.

Edited to add:

What Skylark is referring to is Minimally Structured Recruitment, which does not have quota.

AGDee 02-14-2008 12:57 AM

It is my understanding that if a quota is set, they can't keep a group from taking quota. However, some places, like The Ohio State University sets a quota but also says you can't go over Total. It's the exception, not the rule. Formal and Partially Structured both do set a quota. Minimally Structured and Informal do not and chapters bid to Total. Then there's Indiana University which has a whole other weird structure all their own (although they are talking about moving to a traditional Quota/Total system also).

I would think that if they passed it by their NPC Area Advisor as they are supposed to, she would encourage the first scenario.. allowing quota for every chapter if it was Formal or Partially Structured.

33girl 02-14-2008 10:26 AM

OK ladies - this is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

And in this case, there is no longtime "can't go over total" tradition or housing issues ("bed rush") like at IU.