GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Plegdes wearing letters??? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=1320)

pirate00 04-25-2001 10:18 AM

Plegdes wearing letters???

I have noticed on my campus that some fraternities let their pledges wear stitched letters. This is strictly prohibited in Alpha Phi Omega, where pledges only wear a pin and a pledge jersey with a screen-printed reproduction of our letters. Once initiated, they have earned the right to wear stitched letters, use, and own APO paraphernalia (such as our crest). Does your GLO allow pledges to wear stitched letters prior to initiation?

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina Univ. www.ecu.edu

Be a leader, be a friend, be of service!

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited April 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited May 06, 2001).]

dzrose93 04-25-2001 10:37 AM

Our girls can wear DZ letters, but cannot wear the Delta Zeta crest in any way until after initiation. Not on a lavaliere, hat, car, shirt, etc.

Turtlegirl 04-25-2001 10:39 AM

My chapter of Delta Zeta lets new members (we don't call them pledges) wear any kind of DZ letters or 'nalia except the crest. I have heard that other chapters on our campus have rules similar to those that you are talking about.

sigmagrrl 04-25-2001 10:49 AM

All Sigma Sigma Sigma new members are allowed to wear letters, but not allowed to own anything with the crest on it, if I am not mistaken.

PenguinTrax 04-25-2001 10:58 AM

ZTA new members can wear letters but are prohibited from wearing the crest in any form.

Barbara

hillarypbf1723 04-25-2001 11:04 AM

We don't let our pledges wear their block letters or stiched letters until they are initiated. They can wear screened tee-shirts with our name or letters on it, and they are allowed to wear their lavalier and anything else. We are the only sorority to really do that on our campus, all the others seem to let their girls wear block letters once they get them from their big.

------------------
Hillary
Pi Phi love and mine

finest_alum 04-25-2001 11:33 AM

ADPi Alpha's (pledges) are allowed to wear letters, but not allowed to possess anything with the crest until initiated.

shadokat 04-25-2001 01:33 PM

As the others said, Delta Phi Epsilon new members may wear letters in any form, but they may not wear the crest or a sister badge before they are initiated.

James 04-25-2001 02:13 PM

Nationally Kappa Sigma's policy is that pledges may wear letters but nothing with the symbols of the fraternity, the crest or star and crescent. No doubt some of the policy is designed to help colonies.

Local chapters definitely differ with the general trend that I have seen being no lettters for pledges.

Interesting enough, when we colonized we had members go out and buy letters the very next day . . . but when we recieved our charter these same people were the ones who voted against pledges wearing letters until initiated. Odd hypocracy.

[This message has been edited by James (edited April 25, 2001).]

dzrose93 04-25-2001 02:44 PM

Hey James,

I guess it varies from campus to campus, because I can remember going to buy a Kappa Sig hat for one of my friends who was a pledge at the time. The hat had "Kappa Sigma" on the front, and then small Greek letters KS on the back. He had to actually cover up the KS with masking tape if he wanted to wear it.

The rules on my campus for the Kappa Sig chapter was that pledges could wear the name "Kappa Sigma" spelled out completely, but they couldn't wear the letters themselves (or star and crescent, etc.) until after initiation. That was in 1993, so maybe things have changed since then?

pirate00 04-25-2001 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dzrose93:
The rules on my campus for the Kappa Sig chapter was that pledges could wear the name "Kappa Sigma" spelled out completely, but they couldn't wear the letters themselves (or star and crescent, etc.) until after initiation. That was in 1993, so maybe things have changed since then?
Yeah, something similar with our chapter. When we get our semiformal shirts with "Alpha Phi Omega" spelled out on the front, Pledges can wear them because there is no crest on it.

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina Univ. www.ecu.edu

Be a leader, be a friend, be of service!

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited April 30, 2001).]

bucutie02 04-25-2001 03:50 PM

At Baylor, the Pi Beta Phi pledges are not allowed to wear anything with their entire sorority name on it. For example, they can wear tshirts with "Pi Phi" on it, but not "Pi Beta Phi". I remember this girl that was pledging and she was wearing a hat that said Pi Beta Phi but had taped up the "Beta" part of her hat and said that she cant wear the hat without the tape on it until after initiation. I thought that was interesting.

Billy Optimist 04-25-2001 04:57 PM

James, were you initiated when you joined the colony, or did you have to wait untill you were chartered.
At my school, most fraternities have pledge shirts with the fraternity letters on the upper left of the chest, over the heart, or there abouts. These letters are like maybe, an inch high. Little ones. And sometimes the pledge letters or chapter letters are on the sleves.

Katey Alpha Gam 04-25-2001 07:10 PM

With AGD, we are not allowed to wear the coat of arms or the badge until initiated. The way our bigs and littles work is that we our big the second we become a pledge and usually the first gift you recieve that night are a new set of stitched letters

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews

AOX81 04-25-2001 08:05 PM

In my sorority you are not allowed to wear letters until you are initiated. The only things, sorority related, that they are allowed to wear are party t-shirts, their pledge pins, and anything with the name of our sorority spelled out. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif