GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122205)

AZ-AlphaXi 12-03-2011 11:21 AM

quick question for the Theta Phi Alpha's... where will the colony/chapter be holding recruitment functions since you'all don't have a house?

Good luck to all 20 chapters at IU for 20 party events this weekend!

IndianaSigKap 12-03-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUGreekGirl (Post 2110111)
I believe they're holding events at the Indiana Memorial Union.

My girls who attended today said they held the event at Union Street Apartments. It's a university owned apartment building in the Ashton/Willkie area.

Ag1 12-05-2011 01:14 AM

I am hoping someone might be able to answer a couple of GPA questions. I will meet the IU Panhellenic GPA requirement for recruitment, but I may fall just shy of the stated minimum for some of the chapters I absolutely loved. I am a legacy at two of them, but I have a learning disability, and while I do extremely well overall, comprehensive exams are my downfall and I anticipate they will have a negative impact on my final grades. I do receive accommodations through student disability services, and someone mentioned that there might be a form that can be filled out and submitted as documentation. Is anyone familiar with this, and is there some "wiggle room" with chapter GPA's or are they hard and fast? Thanks!

DubaiSis 12-05-2011 09:53 AM

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it. You could be cut for grades or one of an innumerable number (?) of reasons. If you wanted to make sure your legacy chapters know of your status, you can always have your Mom, sister, whomever, submit a letter in your defense. But I'm on the fence about this. That letter to me would say "she's going to continue to be a grade risk through her entire academic career and no matter how much you love her, she's always going to struggle."

There are a LOT of chapters at IU, they are all competitive, and being a legacy will only help you a little. I would suggest you prepare yourself for some cuts, due to grades and other considerations, and be happy with the chapters who do invite you back.

In my experience, the minimum GPA is without wiggle room. The issue arises when the chapter has set a higher GPA than the sorority headquarters. That is really (as far as I know) the only place to wiggle. And with so SO many girls they have to cut, they're going to pick the obvious cuts first, and grades are black and white.

Good luck with finals. Definitely use every assistance you can get from the university, including special exams just for you, and do everything you can to get the best possible GPA. And then relax over Christmas and try to not worry about it. Try.

DeltaBetaBaby 12-05-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag1 (Post 2110263)
I am hoping someone might be able to answer a couple of GPA questions. I will meet the IU Panhellenic GPA requirement for recruitment, but I may fall just shy of the stated minimum for some of the chapters I absolutely loved. I am a legacy at two of them, but I have a learning disability, and while I do extremely well overall, comprehensive exams are my downfall and I anticipate they will have a negative impact on my final grades. I do receive accommodations through student disability services, and someone mentioned that there might be a form that can be filled out and submitted as documentation. Is anyone familiar with this, and is there some "wiggle room" with chapter GPA's or are they hard and fast? Thanks!

Have you asked someone at student disability services? If there is indeed some sort of form, I expect someone there would know. If you can't get an answer there, I'd consider calling the Greek Life Office. It's best to do what is protocol on your campus.

DubaiSis 12-05-2011 11:46 AM

Since sororities are private organizations and can choose members based on any criteria they choose, I can't imagine such form would exist. Letting you into a class and requiring the teacher to give you special accommodation is not the same as requiring a private club to do the same. But DBB is right. Ask your Greek Life office.

IndianaSigKap 12-05-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag1 (Post 2110263)

As a teacher who has has experience helping students work with their college disability services, yes I highly encourage you to go to SDS and send document to Panhellenic about your accommodations. There are many individuals on campus (including the women in the chapters and their advisors) who do not realize what SDS does or what having accommodations means. I believe that SDS can let Panhel know the specifics with your permission. You should be able to get some sort of documents that they can send to each chapter to let them know your situation. If chapters do not know you have a legitimate educational issue, then they may just assume you are not concerned with academics, when in fact, it is a priority to you. I do believe that this type of documentation may make a difference with some chapters, but not all. Your family can contact your legacy chapter(s) and find out if the SDS paperwork will make a difference. Good luck!

DeltaBetaBaby 12-05-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2110308)
Since sororities are private organizations and can choose members based on any criteria they choose, I can't imagine such form would exist. Letting you into a class and requiring the teacher to give you special accommodation is not the same as requiring a private club to do the same. But DBB is right. Ask your Greek Life office.

Why couldn't a form exist? The chapters could entirely ignore it, but that doesn't mean that SDS hasn't dealt with this before.

Ag1 12-05-2011 04:57 PM

"she's going to continue to be a grade risk through her entire academic career and no matter how much you love her, she's always going to struggle."

Spoke with my rho gam and panhel--there actually is a form that she suggested I fill out. But I also want to make a point--something to remember about people "like me." I actually graduated in the top quarter of my class from a very competitive high school, I was active in varsity athletics, multiple clubs and a member of a church groups who traveled on international mission trips. I had the unfortunate luck of experiencing a stroke at a very young age, and while it did not leave me with any physical deficits, it did rob me of my ability to utilize my memory the same way others may. I learn differently, and I have compensated beautifully--I take challenging courses and my accommodations are limited, but I do find comprehensive exams a challenge, and they impact my GPA when they are heavily weighted. I work harder than your average student-- but I do not consider myself a grade risk in any way shape or form. I am committed to being as successful as I can be, and have proven over and over again, I can make it happen.
I do not assume my legacy status will make much difference; my comment referred to the fact that i happened to love those houses--and I anticipate my GPA to fall just below their minimums. Three generations of women in my family have been through IU rush--as well as Aunts and cousins. Believe me I know how competitive it is. Thanks for your good thoughts--back to the books!

33girl 12-05-2011 09:32 PM

My question is - when do the sorority women vote on who to invite back to the next round of parties? Do they do it right after 20 party and hermetically seal the invites in a mayonnaise jar in the Greek Life office? Or do they wait to vote until they come back before the spring semester? Because if it's the former, her getting a form filled out or whatever is kind of a moot point - the sororities have already made their decisions for the next round.

DeltaBetaBaby 12-05-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2110405)
My question is - when do the sorority women vote on who to invite back to the next round of parties? Do they do it right after 20 party and hermetically seal the invites in a mayonnaise jar in the Greek Life office? Or do they wait to vote until they come back before the spring semester? Because if it's the former, her getting a form filled out or whatever is kind of a moot point - the sororities have already made their decisions for the next round.

Obviously nobody is privvy to MS, but I think it's pretty well-known that first-semester grades play a role in invitations.

DubaiSis 12-05-2011 11:19 PM

Ag1, I'm not saying you couldn't make it. I'm saying pointing this fact out to them could be misunderstood. You could mean it to explain that you are extremely diligent and have done an excellent job of overcoming your obstacles. They could take it as you are always one step away from failure. My concern is about over-sharing.

IUGreekGirl 12-06-2011 11:34 AM

At least with my chapter-- we have MS and then PNMs submit their grades to their Rho Gams who then submit them to Panhell and then they're released to the Chapter member who calculates our lists.

Women who do not meet our chapter's grade requirements are placed at the bottom of the list and bonus points are given to women with high GPAs. Grades are extremely important to my chapter so it's a huge factor in who is invited to 14 party. I don't know about everyone else though.

IUGreekGirl 12-06-2011 11:42 AM

AG-- I would suggest filling out the form. Additionally, you will probably be automatically invited back to 14 party for chapters you are a legacy at as a standard rule for all legacies. At these parties try to get on the subject of the challenges you've gone through.

We are looking for women who have been able to overcome adversity and still have a positive attitude. Show that off and you may be able to get the chapter members you talk at 14 party to vouch for you in MS.

Keep in mind-- very few people receive 14 chapters back for 14 party. Don't let it get you down!! I only received 10 back my year and I felt really bad about it but then I had full 6 & 3 parties.
Even if you don't get houses you really really loved back keep in mind it is for a reason-- the chapters who do ask you back will have seen something special in you and your personality that makes them believe that you could make a great sister. Keep an open mind and these chapters will surprise you. You will probably end up liking them more than chapters who dropped you after 20 party.

It all works out in the end!!

KSUViolet06 12-06-2011 02:58 PM

Just curious: Your MS process and criteria are such that you can tell PNMs all that stuff (ex: you get bonus points?) And you know for sure that every chapter auto invites all legacies back to 14 Party? This is not me being snarky. I'm just asking because I tend to not speak on the official policies on other orgs outside my own.