GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122205)

IndianaSigKap 11-17-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katmandu (Post 2107211)

RE TPA: I think one of their largest chapters is at Cincinnati. I wonder if they will be involved in the colonization at Indiana?

The colonization occurred in September. I had been told there were some collegians there but not sure if they were Cincy or Northern Kentucky U girls.

IUThetaPhi 11-23-2011 02:50 AM

Actually, Theta Phi at IU is doing extremely well.

We have an outstanding 71 members within the first few months of being here, and have decided to go ahead and do full formal recruitment. We will not be dropping out at 20 party, as was once discussed.

We've had amazing support both from nationals and the IU greek community, and are expecting a wonderful rush! We've worked hard and are more than ready!

exlurker 11-23-2011 05:11 PM

Excellent points about what the term "competitive" actually means. Thanks so much, KSUViolet06. I'd like to just add that what you've called "Bama" or "SEC competitive" exists outside the South; my perception (which may be flawed) is that it's pretty widespread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2106556)
Other schools who set quota normally can be competitive, but the numbers aspect isn't what drives the competition at those schools.

I think that IU competitive and say, Bama competitive are 2 different things.

IU = competitive in the sense that there are more PNMs than spots available. Obvious competition there. You have x spots and y PNMs.

SEC competitive = (and correct me if I'm wrong) differently competitive in the sense of many PNMs only wanting certain chapters and those certain groups only having a limited number of spots (per RFM.) Schools like Bama set quota like anyone else and have the same placement rates as other schools. The difference is that more of the PNMs are jockeying for spots at certain places and aren't very open to others. So while the system is set up for everyone who makes it to Pref to get a bid, many aren't going to get that far because their hearts are set on a select group of chapters. Those select few can't take everyone who wants them. There is also the "who you know" element that makes it competitive. Recs, connections from HS, legacies, etc. eat up the available invites pretty quickly. So an average PNM going into recruitment with the bare min of recs/preparation is going to face some competition. The numbers aspect of competition is there, but there are other things that factor in to make it competitive.

And yeah, COR may be available at those schools, but at many schools like that, it involves one or more of the chapters that PNMs wouldn't have considered during FR. At some schools, PNMs with unsuccessful recruitments would sooner attempt FR again than pledge a chapter that wasn't a fave via COR.

Wow. I ramble. I just got out of a mind numbing lecture so hopefully it makes sense.

Katmandu 11-27-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUThetaPhi (Post 2108222)

We have an outstanding 71 members within the first few months of being here, and have decided to go ahead and do full formal recruitment. We will not be dropping out at 20 party, as was once discussed.

We've had amazing support both from nationals and the IU greek community, and are expecting a wonderful rush! We've worked hard and are more than ready!

I am so glad to hear that, IUThetaPhi! There are lots of TPAs where I live, and I love the history and story of your founding. I am glad to hear that your new chapter is doing well. I Hope you have a fantastic rush this year at IU!

IUHoosiergirl88 11-28-2011 07:32 PM

20 party is this coming weekend (Dec. 3-4)!

myopicsunflower 11-29-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUThetaPhi (Post 2108222)

That is fantastic! Warm wishes for a great first formal recruitment! :)

AZ-AlphaXi 11-29-2011 03:26 PM

Alpha Sigma Alpha just announced that they will be re-colonizing at IU in fall 2012.

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Campai...439475df6818b9

IUThetaPhi 11-29-2011 08:02 PM

thanks for all the support! we're definitely very excited!

camom 11-29-2011 11:54 PM

IUThetaPhi,
Given the discussion, will you have a house or dorm for your members to live in?

aephi alum 11-30-2011 12:37 AM

I'm also curious as to how Theta Phi's quota will be determined. A bed quota makes no sense if the chapter has no house (and hence no beds). :confused:

I couldn't imagine visiting 20 chapters for open houses. I think my feet would fall off, no matter which side I were on!

Best of luck to Theta Phi and all the chapters at IU for a successful 2011/2012 recruitment.

IUThetaPhi 11-30-2011 02:50 AM

we will not have a designated place to live. we are currently officially an unhoused sorority, though most of us have made plans to live together next year -both in houses and apartments that are near each other.

also, we do not follow bed quota, as obviously that wouldn't make sense. our quota was determined by panhell together with our nationals.

IndianaSigKap 11-30-2011 02:56 PM

Ah 20 party...one thing I don't miss about IU. It's a long, exhausting weekend! My best wishes go out to all the chapter members and PNMs this weekend. Try to get some rest and order lots of Pizza X breadsticks!

indianagreek 12-02-2011 10:15 AM

We start tomorrow at 10A.M., bright and early. Long day, but im super excited and a little nervous!

psusue 12-02-2011 01:22 PM

Good luck to everyone involved at IU's 20 party! From a fellow Big 10 Greek who has lived the pain of 19 parties in a few short days, just know that you can do it! And at the end of all of this, you'll have sisters! :D

IndianaSigKap 12-03-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagreek (Post 2109835)
We start tomorrow at 10A.M., bright and early. Long day, but im super excited and a little nervous!

Just received texts from my girls after their first party. Thank goodness the weather is chilly but no snow or super cold weather. Hope it stays that way.