GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Indiana Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=122205)

DeltaBetaBaby 11-14-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 (Post 2106500)
Oh. So it's there, but you have to know someone (or several somebodies) to get an invite? I figured it wasn't an openly advertised kind of thing (same with other schools like IU where recruitment is competitive.)

This is a little off-topic, but how many schools, other than IU, are really "competitive"? If a school is using a total/quota system, I don't see how it can actually be difficult to get a bid. Also, it seems that most schools with, say, eight or more chapters have at least one chapter that is not at total after FR, and thus doing COB.

IUHoosiergirl88 11-14-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glittergal1985 (Post 2106512)
That is correct,I believe it is actually one of our smallest chapters.

Oh, my bad. We were always told that Nebraska was one of the bigger chapters, I'd never bothered to double check.

KSUViolet06 11-14-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2106516)
This is a little off-topic, but how many schools, other than IU, are really "competitive"? If a school is using a total/quota system, I don't see how it can actually be difficult to get a bid. Also, it seems that most schools with, say, eight or more chapters have at least one chapter that is not at total after FR, and thus doing COB.

Other schools who set quota normally can be competitive, but the numbers aspect isn't what drives the competition at those schools.

I think that IU competitive and say, Bama competitive are 2 different things.

IU = competitive in the sense that there are more PNMs than spots available. Obvious competition there. You have x spots and y PNMs.

SEC competitive = (and correct me if I'm wrong) differently competitive in the sense of many PNMs only wanting certain chapters and those certain groups only having a limited number of spots (per RFM.) Schools like Bama set quota like anyone else and have the same placement rates as other schools. The difference is that more of the PNMs are jockeying for spots at certain places and aren't very open to others. So while the system is set up for everyone who makes it to Pref to get a bid, many aren't going to get that far because their hearts are set on a select group of chapters. Those select few can't take everyone who wants them. There is also the "who you know" element that makes it competitive. Recs, connections from HS, legacies, etc. eat up the available invites pretty quickly. So an average PNM going into recruitment with the bare min of recs/preparation is going to face some competition. The numbers aspect of competition is there, but there are other things that factor in to make it competitive.

And yeah, COR may be available at those schools, but at many schools like that, it involves one or more of the chapters that PNMs wouldn't have considered during FR. At some schools, PNMs with unsuccessful recruitments would sooner attempt FR again than pledge a chapter that wasn't a fave via COR.

Wow. I ramble. I just got out of a mind numbing lecture so hopefully it makes sense.

33girl 11-15-2011 12:08 AM

IUHoosiergirl - I think what you're thinking is that's the biggest school they're at. As far as ASA the biggest school we're at is Penn State but our James Madison chapter has more members.

DubaiSis 11-15-2011 03:30 AM

KSUViolet, that is an EXCELLENT explanation of competition. At schools were there are basically no grade cuts because college entry requirements are higher than typical sorority minimums, technically every single girl could get placed. And really, at a school like Bama, with 75% placement rates and a substantial number of those being dropouts or SIPs, the numbers lend themselves to really very few girls getting cut completely.

The "competition" aspect that most girls are thinking of really only applies to IU and Nebraska, but since nobody seems to complain about Nebraska, the number of girls interested must match desired chapter sizes.

DeltaBetaBaby 11-15-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubaiSis (Post 2106613)
KSUViolet, that is an EXCELLENT explanation of competition. At schools were there are basically no grade cuts because college entry requirements are higher than typical sorority minimums, technically every single girl could get placed. And really, at a school like Bama, with 75% placement rates and a substantial number of those being dropouts or SIPs, the numbers lend themselves to really very few girls getting cut completely.

The "competition" aspect that most girls are thinking of really only applies to IU and Nebraska, but since nobody seems to complain about Nebraska, the number of girls interested must match desired chapter sizes.

Refresh my memory...does Nebraska also use a bed quota?

TSteven 11-15-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2106676)
Refresh my memory...does Nebraska also use a bed quota?

Yes. However, my understanding is each chapter may (if they want) also bid over the number of beds. The formula is based on the number of PNMs at preference, less the number of “beds” divided by the number of chapters.

So as an example, say 100 PNMs make it to preference and there were three chapters (just to make the math easy).

ABC has 20 bed spots
DEF has 17 bed spots
XYZ has 33 bed spots

70 total bed spots between all three chapters.

Using the formula above, this is how is should play out.

100 PNMs less 70 bed spots = 30 total PNM additions. 30 total PNM additions divided by 3 chapters = 10 additions per chapter.

Thus ABC could pledge 30 (20 bed spots plus 10 additions)
DEF could pledge 27 (17 bed spots plus 10 additions)
XYZ could pledge 43 (33 bed spots plus 10 additions)

ETA: I am not sure how this works, but Lincoln (where the University of Nebraska is located) women are (were) considered “free” PNMs. Meaning they didn’t count toward the bed total. I don’t know if Lincoln women were part of the additions or a separate number.

By the way, UNL changed the way recruitment is conducted this year. So I don’t know if these quotas, additions and “free” Lincoln women still apply.

DeltaBetaBaby 11-15-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 2106697)
Yes. However, my understanding is each chapter may (if they want) also bid over the number of beds. The formula is based on the number of PNMs at preference, less the number of “beds” divided by the number of chapters.

So as an example, say 100 PNMs make it to preference and there were three chapters (just to make the math easy).

ABC has 20 bed spots
DEF has 17 bed spots
XYZ has 33 bed spots

70 total bed spots between all three chapters.

Using the formula above, this is how is should play out.

100 PNMs less 70 bed spots = 30 total PNM additions. 30 total PNM additions divided by 3 chapters = 10 additions per chapter.

Thus ABC could pledge 30 (20 bed spots plus 10 additions)
DEF could pledge 27 (17 bed spots plus 10 additions)
XYZ could pledge 43 (33 bed spots plus 10 additions)

Okay, so ultimately, there are enough spots for all of the women going through, they just allocate them among the chapters in a non-standard way.

TSteven 11-15-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2106699)
Okay, so ultimately, there are enough spots for all of the women going through, they just allocate them among the chapters in a non-standard way.

If all chapters take the additions then in theory, yes there are enough spots for all of the women going through. However, my understanding is that not all chapters take all the possible additions every year - unless their classes are relatively even.

The theory (reason) being the chapter may not want "too large" of a freshman class “now” in case the overall PNM pool happens to be smaller down the line. If that were to happen (a smaller pool after a large number of members graduate), then it is possible that a chapter might have more “open beds” than PNMs.

ETA: The "...unless their classes are relatively even" above, refers to bed spots.

DeltaBetaBaby 11-15-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 2106733)
If all chapters take the additions then in theory, yes there are enough spots for all of the women going through. However, my understanding is that not all chapters take all the possible additions every year - unless their classes are relatively even.

The theory (reason) being the chapter may not want "too large" of a freshman class “now” in case the overall PNM pool happens to be smaller down the line. If that were to happen (a smaller pool after a large number of members graduate), then it is possible that a chapter might have more “open beds” than PNMs.

Um, that makes no sense whatsoever. If there is a small PNM pool, it doesn't matter whether 20 of your members or 30 of your members just graduated.

TSteven 11-15-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby (Post 2106734)
Um, that makes no sense whatsoever. If there is a small PNM pool, it doesn't matter whether 20 of your members or 30 of your members just graduated.

Sorry, I am sure I am not explaining it correctly.

Again, for potential ease of discussion, say a chapter has 60 bed spaces which is allocated evenly to 20 bed spaces per academic year. In other words, 20 sophomores (Class of 2014), 20 juniors (Class of 2013) and 20 seniors (Class of 2012) live in.

Now this past rush (fall of 2011), the bed quota would have been 20 based on the number of graduating seniors in spring of 2012. Say with additions, the chapter pledges 30 women (the Class of 2015). And over the next two to three years, all members of the Class of 2015 move into the chapter house thus increasing the number of bed spots for that one class to 30. And decreasing the number of beds for other classes. Meaning not as many sophomores or juniors would be able to live in the house. That can be viewed as a negitive at UNL since most women do want to live in.

Then when Nebraska’s fall 2014 recruitment comes around, the “bed quota” would be 30 based on the senior class membership of 30. While the chapter could still pledge up to 30 as their bed quota, they may not be able to get to that number simply because the overall pool is lower that year. This chapter would then be competing with all the UNL chapters who also need to fill their beds as well. And if a chapter does not fill their beds, they may be perceived as having issues.

Does that make sense? I can “see it” in my head, but I am not sure if I am explaining it well.

DeltaBetaBaby 11-15-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 2106751)
Sorry, I am sure I am not explaining it correctly.

Again, for potential ease of discussion, say a chapter has 60 bed spaces which is allocated evenly to 20 bed spaces per academic year. In other words, 20 sophomores (Class of 2014), 20 juniors (Class of 2013) and 20 seniors (Class of 2012) live in.

Now this past rush (fall of 2011), the bed quota would have been 20 based on the number of graduating seniors in spring of 2012. Say with additions, the chapter pledges 30 women (the Class of 2015). And over the next two to three years, all members of the Class of 2015 move into the chapter house thus increasing the number of bed spots for that one class to 30. And decreasing the number of beds for other classes. Meaning not as many sophomores or juniors would be able to live in the house. That can be viewed as a negitive at UNL since most women do want to live in.

Then when Nebraska’s fall 2014 recruitment comes around, the “bed quota” would be 30 based on the senior class membership of 30. While the chapter could still pledge up to 30 as their bed quota, they may not be able to get to that number simply because the overall pool is lower that year. This chapter would then be competing with all the UNL chapters who also need to fill their beds as well. And if a chapter does not fill their beds, they may be perceived as having issues.

Does that make sense? I can “see it” in my head, but I am not sure if I am explaining it well.

Ah, okay, you are saying that taking more this year means you can take fewer next year. That's something different, and yes, it makes sense.

33girl 11-15-2011 07:11 PM

Doesn't Nebraska have a lot of townies enrolled and active in the Greek system? (more than the average) Is this why they do things that way?

TSteven 11-16-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2106783)
Doesn't Nebraska have a lot of townies enrolled and active in the Greek system? (more than the average) Is this why they do things that way?

I believe a good number of “townies” do enroll at Nebraska. However, I am not sure what the numbers are for the Greek system. I would guess there may be a larger percentage or number who do pledge. Greek Life is pretty popular at UNL.

As to why the sororities do things the way they do, UNL has an old Greek System. (Lots of single letter chapters) So my guess is that once sorority housing developed at UNL, local (Lincoln) members did not live in from the get go. As such, they did not count toward the bed quota and over the years, this tradition (of not counting toward bed quota) continued.

My guess is that the idea of “additions” (other than Lincoln women not counting toward bed quota) came later on as the number of PNMs grew and a significant number of women did not receive bids. Pure speculation on my part is that most of these women would have come from out of town since Lincoln women did not count toward the bed quotas. I suspect that UNL wanted to be sure that “all Nebraskans” had the same opportunity to join etc. Thus the “additions”.

Katmandu 11-17-2011 08:18 PM

I think it's a fairly common and a long standing tradition for local women in a college town such as Lincoln and Stillwater, not to count toward quota. Stillwater girls were always "free" as a motivation for chapters to work hard to pledge them. It evened out the playing field since there was a perception that many of them would continue to live at home, and perhaps not be as desirable financially in the long run. When I was active, all of out townies lived in, so that was moot, but they still didn't count toward quota.

RE TPA: I think one of their largest chapters is at Cincinnati. I wonder if they will be involved in the colonization at Indiana?