GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Sorority Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   Questions about letters for recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=243958)

IrishKel 06-18-2018 02:07 PM

Questions about letters for recruitment

Hello! I am going to be a Freshman in the fall at Arkansas, and am trying to get letters for sorority recruitment. I don't have connections to any Greek Alumni (my mom was not in a sorority in college)... how do I find them to get letters of recommendation? Thanks!

carnation 06-18-2018 02:20 PM

There are many threads on this on Greekchat. Please search for them! And most say that the best recs come from people who know you, like your high school teachers.

IrishKel 06-18-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnation (Post 2457193)
There are many threads on this on Greekchat. Please search for them! And most say that the best recs come from people who know you, like your high school teachers.

Thank you!

NYCMS 06-18-2018 07:27 PM

Other places to look:

1) Check to see if you know anyone at your church / temple / etc. or your parents' community groups.
2) Teachers, as noted above
3) Ask everyone you know - your parents' friends, your teachers, your friends and their parents - it's really a game of "who knows who".

Start here and you'll be surprised at who knows who and who might be able to write you a rec. They are important at schools like Arkansas so you need to get going and get them in soon.

PittDZ 06-18-2018 08:29 PM

Many cities have what is known as Alumnae Panhellenic Associations. These groups will assist you with getting recs from alums in your area. I would google "______ Alumnae Panhellenic" to see if there is a group in your area.

ChioLu 06-18-2018 11:59 PM

Post on Facebook that you are looking for recommendations and list the sororities. The 6° of separation will help you find some recs. Someone will read your post and say “Oh, I have a relative who is in one of the sororities. I’ll ask her.”
Have your parents ask their friends/relatives/co-workers.
Please note, sorority alumnae LOVE ❤️ getting asked to write recommendations. It’s an opportunity to provide a shining light on an outstanding individual.
Also create a recruitment resume. Google the Houston alumnae Panhellenic association and you will find a good sample. Don’t be shy about your awards/academics/achievements/organizations/volunteering. This is something you can send to sorority alumnae who are writing recommendations for you.
Since this is a big school and an SEC school I would get your recommendations in by July 31 or earlier. It’s like getting in your job resume early so it’s on their mind.
Good luck! Please come back after recruitment is over and let us know how your recruitment went.

Titchou 06-19-2018 07:29 AM

Also, Greek women know other Greek women. Once you find someone,ask if they know anyone in the other groups you need.Out of the 26 NPC groups, I know someone in 20 of them.