GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Alpha Phi (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What ever happened to APhi at KU? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=135852)

SunflowerState 09-03-2013 08:32 PM

What ever happened to APhi at KU?

I was a member of Gamma Delta at the U of Kansas. I've been away from the Midwest for a lot of years but recently visited campus and discovered my chapter closed in 1989. Does anyone know what happened? Thanks for any information. I love this site and have enjoyed reading for quite a while.

JayhawkAOII 09-03-2013 09:51 PM

It was closed due to RFM after an incident in the chapter house in the spring of 1989.

SunflowerState 09-04-2013 08:52 AM

What is an RFM? (Sorry. I'm new to this.) and what happened?

AZTheta 09-04-2013 09:14 AM

excuse the crash, but i think she meant risk management. you could contact your headquarters if you want specifics on something that happened more than 20 years ago.

JayhawkAOII 09-04-2013 09:55 AM

Yes, I meant risk management. Agree with the above, you should really contact your hq for the explanation.

SunflowerState 09-04-2013 10:15 AM

I did. They were either clueless or unwilling to tell me. I just want to know what happened to my chapter. It's really sad. Thanks for your help anyway.

33girl 09-04-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunflowerState (Post 2236616)
I did. They were either clueless or unwilling to tell me. I just want to know what happened to my chapter. It's really sad. Thanks for your help anyway.

Considering that many of the people who work at HQs were born in 1989, I'll go for clueless. Are you not on Facebook? You more than likely would find tons of your chapter alumnae there willing to fill you in.

SunflowerState 09-05-2013 08:55 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to a lovely young woman whose mom was in my chapter. I'll keep her username out of here since she Pm'd me. It was an act of kindness and much appreciated. A sad ending. I hope gamma delta recolonizes some day.

AOII Angel 09-05-2013 09:46 AM

Sorry that your chapter ended on a sour note. It happens too frequently. Luckily, we are in an unprecedented growth pattern and APhi has been doing very well. Maybe your chapter has a chance at recolonization in the future. There are many Greekchatters that watch the colonization thread with baited breath waiting for that to happen for them.

AZTheta 09-05-2013 09:54 AM

SunflowerState - perhaps you'll volunteer for APhi now! That is a positive step in keeping both active and alumnae chapters healthy and thriving. Often it's a lack of support that contributes to the demise of an organization. The Internet has made it easy to keep involved.

Sciencewoman 09-05-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2236846)
Maybe your chapter has a chance at recolonization in the future. There are many Greekchatters that watch the colonization thread with baited breath waiting for that to happen for them.

Like me! :)

AOII Angel 09-05-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sciencewoman (Post 2236855)
Like me! :)

;) and several GCers have had it happen for them. Fingers crossed for everyone else. Love recolonizations.

AlphaFrog 09-05-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2236874)
;) and several GCers have had it happen for them. Fingers crossed for everyone else. Love recolonizations.

Mine's coming back this fall. :)

AZ-AlphaXi 09-05-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOII Angel (Post 2236874)

I'm one .. my chapter returned in the fall of 2011 and is thriving and doing just great.

SunflowerState 09-11-2013 01:56 PM

Volunteering

AZTheta, You are right. Hearing all the talk on GC makes me want to get involved again. The nearest active chapter to me is Univ. of IL (UIUC). The nearest alumnae chapter is about an hour's drive away in the other direction. I think I'd prefer at this point to help the active chapter but I haven't a clue what to do. I've emailed the president of the UofI chapter but haven't heard anything (although, cutting her some slack, she did just finish rush!). Does anyone know if there is any kind of organization in Urbana-Champaign, IL? Thanks, AZTheta, for the kick in the b**t!