GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why Paris Hilton Will Never Be a Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90920)

texas*princess 10-14-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aephi alum (Post 1537071)
Not to mention she'd be a risk management nightmare...

... so would Lindsay Lohan :eek:

paulam 10-14-2007 03:16 PM

What is a Sorority?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSteven (Post 1536889)
So if you had to extend a bid to one of 'em, who would it be - Miss Hilton or Princess Margaret?

I don't remember the source of this quote but it went something like..."a sorority is a place where Mick Jagger would be welcome, but his daughter wouldn't!" So my answer to these either/or choices would have to be neither. No class among any of them.

As far as the author, "Marlyn" using the last name Schwartz as a psuedonym, I had to laugh. Who in her right mind would choose that name? I once read that a really bumble-headed reporter met Tony Curtis' father and asked him, "So, what made you change your last name from Curtis to Schwartz?" (Tony Curtis' real name is Bernard Schwartz).

I checked the SDT directory and there were many Schwartz's listed, but no Marlyn's. It could be her married name and she uses her maiden name in the Kappa directory.

Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔTPatriae Multi Spes Una One Hope of Many People

alum 10-14-2007 03:36 PM

Marlyn Schwartz is not in the Kappa database.

angelove 10-15-2007 09:15 AM

I think the author is a Theta? I've seen interviews with her and I thought that was mentioned. Too lazy to google it, though.

Never mind. I don't know why I thought that, but I can't find anything to confirm it. Just a figment of my imagination. Please disregard.

MysticCat 10-15-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scandia (Post 1536991)
Why was Kappa Kappa Gamma picked if Kappa was not founded in the South and thus is not usually considered to be a "Southern" sorority?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 (Post 1537203)
I guess it's kind of strange that a northern founded sorority is considered Southern, when the opposite is somewhat the case for DG.

I can't say that Kappa is considered Southern per se, but it's always been my impression that it is very strong in Texas, where Marlyn Schwartz was a columnist. But maybe I just got that from Vanities ("KKG eternally.") and from Texan Kappa friends.

skylark 10-15-2007 11:22 AM

Kappa is HUGE in Texas. At convention (in Orlando) it seemed like there were more Kappas from Texas than even from Florida. And even if they weren't the largest in numbers, they definitely made their presence known. They even have a couple special Texas-specific Kappa songs that the Texas chapters know (they sang them).

When I think of Kappa, I don't think of them necessarily as a southern sorority. They may be relatively stronger in the South simply because those are the schools that tend to have stronger greek life and more competitive rushes.

Who knows why Kappa was chosen, but I have the original book and I will definitely check it tonight to see if I can find a reference to the author's affiliation. It seems weird if she wasn't affiliated with Kappa that she wouldn't make some mention of it on one of the back pages or the dedication page or something.

Fleur de Lis 10-15-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulam (Post 1537299)
I don't remember the source of this quote but it went something like..."a sorority is a place where Mick Jagger would be welcome, but his daughter wouldn't!"

Here is the quote from the "Princess Margaret" version:

Anyone can sign up for Rush at Southern schools. The uninitiated have no idea what to expect.

First, it is essential to have letters of recommendations from past members. These letters explain how lovely a girl is, how lovely her family is, how precious her wardrobe is, and how rich her daddy is. Alums will write anything they deem necessary to get their favorite rushees into the chapter.

One Georgia Chi Omega recalls back in the seventies that someone wrote a letter giving intimate detail of the house a rushee lived in. The letter pointed out the parents loved to entertain and would always throw great Chi O parties in Atlanta. Family connections to celebrities is a big plus too. If a girl could promise to get Mick Jagger to a sorority dance because he has business dealings with her father, that girl would probably get a Kappa bid. But Mick Jagger's daughter might have a hard time getting in even if her father came to visit every weekend.

LXA SE285 10-15-2007 11:33 AM

This thread reminds me of an old one in which people were speculating that Britney Spears wanted to attend LSU and pledge Chi O there. *Shudder*!

EEKappa 10-15-2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXA SE285 (Post 1537587)
This thread reminds me of an old one in which people were speculating that Britney Spears wanted to attend LSU and pledge Chi O there. *Shudder*!

Well, it is a great chapter! Seeing the girls that I knew from high school pledge Chi O at LSU, I felt the same way.

I'd like to think that Ms. Swartz's choice of Kappa for the title was just a random selection of a group, which like all other NPC groups, has high standards for its members.

paulam 10-15-2007 01:28 PM

What Would Mick Jagger Do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis (Post 1537584)
Here is the quote from the "Princess Margaret" version:

Anyone can sign up for Rush at Southern schools. The uninitiated have no idea what to expect.

First, it is essential to have letters of recommendations from past members. These letters explain how lovely a girl is, how lovely her family is, how precious her wardrobe is, and how rich her daddy is. Alums will write anything they deem necessary to get their favorite rushees into the chapter.

One Georgia Chi Omega recalls back in the seventies that someone wrote a letter giving intimate detail of the house a rushee lived in. The letter pointed out the parents loved to entertain and would always throw great Chi O parties in Atlanta. Family connections to celebrities is a big plus too. If a girl could promise to get Mick Jagger to a sorority dance because he has business dealings with her father, that girl would probably get a Kappa bid. But Mick Jagger's daughter might have a hard time getting in even if her father came to visit every weekend.

Thank you, Fleur de Lis, for validating the quote about Mick Jagger and his daughter. I'll have to buy that book!

Paula M.
Sigma Delta Tau
ΣΔT
Patriae Multi Spes Una One Hope of Many People

sageofages 10-15-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LXA SE285 (Post 1537587)

Many moons ago, Britney Spears was "good" girl Mouseketeer, remember.

I am willing to bet HAD she gone to school *anywhere* and been allowed to GROW up *out of the spotlit plasticine world she had been in* with expectations of proper behavior, she would not be the mess she is now.

I imagine she might have been a wonderful ABC or XYZ. How sad to have been robbed of what could have been, if only.

Fleur de Lis 10-15-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sageofages (Post 1537721)
Many moons ago, Britney Spears was "good" girl Mouseketeer, remember.

I am willing to be HAD she gone to school *anywhere* and been allowed to GROW up *out of the spotlit plasticine world she had been in* with expectations of proper behavior, she would not be the mess she is now.

I imagine she might have been a wonderful ABC or XYZ. How sad to have been robbed of what could have been, if only.

I was thinking the same thing! If she had gone to college and joined a sorority, there would have been people looking out for her and not her paycheck. They could have spotted the warning signs and gotten her the help she obviously needs.

33girl 10-15-2007 04:41 PM

Mouseketeer certainly doesn't = good girl, nor has it ever - read some of the accounts by the original Mousketeers from the 1950s of what they were doing offstage. Some of them came out OK, but some of them definitely not.

Honestly, if Britney hadn't been famous, I think she would be in the same situation she is now - just with less money.

SoCalGirl 10-15-2007 09:17 PM

KKG has always seemed Southern to me because of the Fleur de Lis. (Sorry about the rhyming!)

I always think of the South or specifically New Orleans when I see a Fleur de Lis.

MellySK 10-15-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalGirl (Post 1537871)
KKG has always seemed Southern to me because of the Fleur de Lis. (Sorry about the rhyming!)

I always think of the South or specifically New Orleans when I see a Fleur de Lis.

The Fleur de Lis is very New Orleans-ish, but that's because New Orleans is French, and so is the Fleur de Lis. Doesn't make the Fleur any less southern, just thought I'd throw that out there:D