GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   60 Year Old Pledge at Washington State (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=38438)

Nhfulmer 08-25-2003 03:03 PM

60 Year Old Pledge at Washington State

Check out this link - http://www.dailyevergreen.com/nn4/ne...24&StoryPage=1

I think this is really special. These young men have been able to break the age barrier and have an opportunity to see college life from another perspective!

veemers 08-25-2003 03:35 PM

I'm sort of having mixed reactions to this article.

On one hand, I think it's great that this man is going back to school and is making the most of he opportunities that are present. He's paying the same tuition as everyone else, so why not get involved on campus?

On the other hand, it seems like it would be really awkward. I don't know if I'd want everyone pointing me out and giving me a nickname because of my age. I also think it would be rather awkward going drinking with someone old enough to be my grandfather.

I just don't know. What is a good way to react? I'm happy that his fellow classmates are supportive; I don't know if I could be.

DeltAlum 08-25-2003 03:40 PM

Blue is just a few years older than me, and I can't really imagine "pledging" at his age -- but if it's fun for him, what the hell.

sigep533 08-25-2003 04:36 PM

I'd be rather aggrivated that they were calling me blue if I were him..
the movie was great, but i wouldnt want to be recognized as the old dude..but i guess that is what he wants or he wouldnt have pledged? Duno, but its cool either way i suppose.

IvySpice 08-25-2003 04:37 PM

I think this is fantastic. Age ain't nothin' but a number. I bet that this pledge class is going to have the most fun of any group on that campus.

As long as Blue doesn't die of a heart attack while wrestling two topless chicks in a kiddie pool of K-Y. That would be bad.

Tom Earp 08-25-2003 04:50 PM

IVYSPICE, thank you for pointing oput the age factor! BFD!:)

For your information all of you young tykes in GC land, there are a lot of Alums out here who are still contributing to OUR CHAPTERS and Organizations.:cool:

Like DA, I am older than this New Brother of a Fine Greek Org. How old are your advisors? Do they interact with your Chapter? Do they TRY to give proper Advice? Do You Listen?

This is a two fold situation, The Chapter helping a Man, and a Man helping The Chapter!:cool:

Isnt this what being a Greek is all about?:)

Naysayers, look into your selves!:(

DeltAlum 08-25-2003 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IvySpice
As long as Blue doesn't die of a heart attack while wrestling two topless chicks in a kiddie pool of K-Y. That would be bad.
Let me rethink my previous post.

Peaches-n-Cream 08-25-2003 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IvySpice
I think this is fantastic. Age ain't nothin' but a number. I bet that this pledge class is going to have the most fun of any group on that campus.

This is soooo funny! :p :D

ChaosDST 08-25-2003 05:56 PM

That's cool and I hope they all learn from this experience.

Optimist Prime 08-25-2003 11:36 PM

dude, i wish i went to washington state

SigkapAlumWSU 08-26-2003 12:22 AM

I do go to Washington State, and I know Blue personally (I posted about this earlier this summer, but he just recently got the whole article). He is a very sweet guy, and he was already here before he pledged. I think that it's done wonders for Phi Kaps having him there. Last year, I know that they didn't get any guys through formal, and everyone thought that their house was ready to close. This year, they got 8 new guys through formal, including a personal friend of mine, and they are already looking at other guys. I think that this is one of the most positive things, PR wise that they've had in a while.

And I'm pretty sure that they are going to be doing jello wrestling this semester, in honor of Blue. :D

MikeGT98 08-26-2003 01:37 AM

PKS @ WSU

Just wanted to add something in to this thread.. I spent a weekend working with the Phi Kap Chapter at WSU over the summer, helping them get prepared for fall formal recruitment while I was working for PKS HQ.

I'm thrilled to say that not only did they get 8 stellar men through formal recruitment, but they signed 5 great men over the summer as well, for a total of 13! That may not be a big number to some of you at bigger Greek systems, but it's a big step in the right direction for this Chapter. I'm excited for them, because they're definitely on the upswing -- I can't wait to see where they go from here.

And as far as the 59-year-old pledge is concerned, one of the undergraduates in the Chapter put it best "We don't care about Blue's age... he represents our Seven Core Values well, and that's all that matters to us."

By the way.. NBC called the PKS HQ the other day, and informed us that they will be doing a segment on The Today Show next week about Blue, live from the WSU campus! The Chapter has been getting positive press in the school paper, interviews on the campus radio station, and now national coverage for this. I couldn't be happier for my guys out there at WSU!

phisigduchesscv 08-26-2003 01:57 AM

I say good for him. Personally I really think age is just a number that makes someone think we should be acting a certain way. You know the stereotype 18 year olds should party etc, 30 year olds should be settling down, 50/60 year olds should retire and play grandparents. But when you think about it don't you know some 18 years that have already settled down and see on the right track, 30 year olds that party, and some 50/60 year olds still raising young teens. In this day and time age doesn't matter as much as it may have played a part in society before.

that's my two cents.

douthit 08-26-2003 02:06 AM

I would agree with those who said that age doesn't matter, our current advisor went active with a pledge/new member who was 48! So who is to say what is to old!

dzrose93 08-26-2003 10:41 AM

Re: PKS @ WSU

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeGT98
Just wanted to add something in to this thread.. I spent a weekend working with the Phi Kap Chapter at WSU over the summer, helping them get prepared for fall formal recruitment while I was working for PKS HQ.

I'm thrilled to say that not only did they get 8 stellar men through formal recruitment, but they signed 5 great men over the summer as well, for a total of 13! That may not be a big number to some of you at bigger Greek systems, but it's a big step in the right direction for this Chapter. I'm excited for them, because they're definitely on the upswing -- I can't wait to see where they go from here.

And as far as the 59-year-old pledge is concerned, one of the undergraduates in the Chapter put it best "We don't care about Blue's age... he represents our Seven Core Values well, and that's all that matters to us."

By the way.. NBC called the PKS HQ the other day, and informed us that they will be doing a segment on The Today Show next week about Blue, live from the WSU campus! The Chapter has been getting positive press in the school paper, interviews on the campus radio station, and now national coverage for this. I couldn't be happier for my guys out there at WSU!

I think that's fabulous. :D Congrats to the chapter for the positive PR. We all know how rare that is among Greeks. ;)