GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Anyone gotten the pendent or ring for your badge from HJ? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=244821)

NYCMS 09-08-2018 11:02 AM

Anyone gotten the pendent or ring for your badge from HJ?

Thinking about getting either the badge pendant or ring from Herff Jones and looking to see if anyone here has gotten one.

Curious to learn how well it secures and holds the badge - I'd hate to get one and have it fall out. Not crazy about having the send my badge to them to make sure it fits (that's what their website says you have to do), but it would appear that's the drill.

I love necklaces so I'm leaning toward the pendant. Thanks for any input.

Titchou 09-08-2018 11:52 AM

I bought mine pre HJ and pre J Brandt...not sure who the vendor was. But rather than sending my badge I had to tell them the year it was purchase and the style(all diamonds for mine as opposed to no stones,etc). It worked fine when I got it. Maybe get one at your Convention so you don't have to turn it over?

Titchou 09-08-2018 11:55 AM

One other thing- I sent my convention charm back to HJ this summer to be dipped in yellow gold (the charm was silver). Got it back with no issues.

homeward*bound 09-08-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2460257)
One other thing- I sent my convention charm back to HJ this summer to be dipped in yellow gold (the charm was silver). Got it back with no issues.

The charm dipping is a great idea! I didn't know they could do that.

I wonder if you can get better service and quality control from HJ during the times of year where they might not be as busy producing and shipping badges? It seems like there would be a seasonal aspect based on the large number of schools that recruit then initiate during the same timeframes. I would love to have a badge pendant made but am reluctant to send them my badge because I had to return it twice after I ordered it due to missing stones.

Titchou 09-08-2018 12:36 PM

I had to do that with J Brandt several times. DG used to sell the charms and you could buy the finish you wanted. Then they started giving them as Convention favors and they are always silver so I've had to send them to get dipped. At least they do it free!

NYCMS 09-08-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titchou (Post 2460256)
I bought mine pre HJ and pre J Brandt...not sure who the vendor was. But rather than sending my badge I had to tell them the year it was purchase and the style(all diamonds for mine as opposed to no stones,etc). It worked fine when I got it. Maybe get one at your Convention so you don't have to turn it over?

Thank you for this suggestion, Titchou. I may pursue that path since our next convention is not until 2020. I laid my badge on top of a round-shaped pendent to see how it would look - it was lovely - so I'm excited to get it done. I think the pendent or ring is such a great way to get to wear our badges more frequently. Every sorority has such a beautiful design for their badge.

Thank you also homeward*bound for your input as well. I can't remember how soon I got my badge after initiation (don't think it was terribly long) but I'd really hate for something to happen to it if I sent it in.

DGTess 09-08-2018 01:21 PM

I bought my pendant in 2005; can't remember whether it was JBrandt or someone else. I did not have to send my badge, and it holds quite securely. Perhaps I'm the outlier; I don't know.

But because of that, I'm able to wear my badge so much more often than wearing it as a pin.

UVASquirrel 09-08-2018 01:46 PM

Both my Gold and my Silver badges are inside a pendant. One I sent off to Heff Jones and actually got it back reasonably quickly. The other one, I did this past summer at convention and they did it while I was standing there spending obnoxious amounts of money on other stuff.

What I am waiting on impatiently now is a "guard" for my badge..we do alumnae honors and I earned a new one and it gets attached to the pendant. Got the one for my gold badge at convention, but they didn't have any silver ones. I've paid for it, but haven't seen it yet...convention was at the end of June. :-(

andthen 09-08-2018 08:41 PM

I got my badge in the pendant in June from HJ and several of my alumnae sisters had pendants. My experience with them for this go around was good someone contacted me to give me a form to include with my badge and then once I sent it I emailed the person I had been in contact with so she could be on the lookout for it. I got my pendant back I think in about 2-3 weeks. It’s on there pretty securely it would take a lot of effort for me to take it off.

SWTXBelle 09-08-2018 09:31 PM

I got the ring from HJ - but I found that it wasn't secure (it "flipped") and was hard to get in and out, so I had a local jeweler permanently weld (is that the term?) the badge to the ring, and I've had no problems. I got a badge on Ebay to wear for ritual events.

AZTheta 09-09-2018 01:08 PM

I have a couple of badge holder pendants from HJ. Picked them up at Convention several (many?) years ago when HJ was closing out most of their Theta line after they lost the badge contract to J. Lewis Small. Have had no problems. I have the open style, not the solid style. Not sure anyone makes the solid style any longer, couldn't find it on either site (Small or HJ). Some of my Theta sisters have the solid style, and they had to mail in their badge with their order to be sure it was an exact fit. Pretty much a custom item, from what I was told. It really looks beautiful; the caveat is that it's almost "impossible" to get the badge out of the solid pendant due to the design. Having heard and seen horror stories about HJGreek (poor quality, customer service, etc), I personally would not send them yesterday's fish.

Perhaps a local jeweler may be a resource for what you want. We've already had the discussion about badge holder rings. Not a good option for Theta, IMO. Those sharp points of the kite sitting up high catch on everything.

I will wear my Theta badge holder pendant when I'm traveling. It's fun to see others recognize it and it sparks conversations. Hope this helps.

NYCMS 09-09-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTheta (Post 2460300)
I have a couple of badge holder pendants from HJ. Picked them up at Convention several (many?) years ago when HJ was closing out most of their Theta line after they lost the badge contract to J. Lewis Small. Have had no problems. I have the open style, not the solid style. Not sure anyone makes the solid style any longer, couldn't find it on either site (Small or HJ). Some of my Theta sisters have the solid style, and they had to mail in their badge with their order to be sure it was an exact fit. Pretty much a custom item, from what I was told. It really looks beautiful; the caveat is that it's almost "impossible" to get the badge out of the solid pendant due to the design. Having heard and seen horror stories about HJGreek (poor quality, customer service, etc), I personally would not send them yesterday's fish.

Perhaps a local jeweler may be a resource for what you want. We've already had the discussion about badge holder rings. Not a good option for Theta, IMO. Those sharp points of the kite sitting up high catch on everything.

I will wear my Theta badge holder pendant when I'm traveling. It's fun to see others recognize it and it sparks conversations. Hope this helps.

Very helpful, thanks AZTheta. I'm really reticent to send my badge in given all I've heard on here about HJ. Custom might be best as I love how it looks against a solid pendant. Being on this board has inspired me to find a way to wear it more often - I think all our badges are stunning pieces of jewelry and I can imagine how fun it is when you wear it and it sparks a conversation!

DoctorD 09-09-2018 04:26 PM

I recently sent my badge to Herff Jones and purchased a pendant for it- I insured the package when I sent it and they did a great job putting it together. I also worked with them directly and had someone who was on the lookout for my package. While it was mentally hard to put that badge in the mail, it was an easy process all around.

ChioLu 09-09-2018 06:32 PM

My brothers got me the ring for Christmas one year. I as so nervous to mail in my badge but insured and tracked it for both deliveries. I love the ring and wear it more than I would have as a badge.

AOIILisa 09-13-2018 10:07 AM

HJ just rolled out diamond, diamond/garnet, and garnet badge holders for us. I really want one, but there have been problems with people getting badge holders in the past and they have arrived with the badge mounted crooked in the holder. Not to mention problems with the HJ badges shedding pearls. If I ordered a diamond badge holder and it lost a diamond, I would flip out.

Has anyone had any luck having a local jeweler mount their badge? I work right near Jeweler's Row in Philadelphia and have thought about maybe having someone make me a diamond badge mount, that way I'd be local if any issues arose.

https://i.imgur.com/LSROsPo.jpg