GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New Sorority? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=90911)

oceanwalker 10-12-2007 10:08 AM

New Sorority?

Hi guys,

Think of your parents when you read this. I'm a mom whose daughter didn't get into the sorority of her choice. I'm sure this happens all the time. However, she now wants to start her own sorority, having to do with theatre. Have any of you ever heard of such a thing? How would I find out about starting a new sorority, what it entails, etc. OR, perhaps open a new chapter of an existing sorority on her campus?

Finally, are there any sororities and/or co ed fraternitys, such as APO, but that are theatre oriented?? How can I find out about all the sororities that exist?

I have no idea the work that she'd need to undertake for such a project. Can any of you at least guide me? I sure would appreciate any help or guidance, and thanks so much for your help :).

REE1993 10-12-2007 10:13 AM

The search button will guide her to all of the information SHE needs.

Best of luck to her.

ZetaXiDelta 10-12-2007 10:15 AM

I am the founder of my local sorority, Zeta Xi Delta. At my college all it required to become an official college organization was submitting our constitution to Parliament and having it approved. However, it is different at all schools.

I don't want to make it sound simple because there is a lot of work that goes into creating a sorority. They will need to choose a name, symbols, mascots, etc. as well as create their constitution, by-laws, and rituals. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me.

33girl 10-12-2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanwalker (Post 1536665)
Finally, are there any sororities and/or co ed fraternitys, such as APO, but that are theatre oriented?? How can I find out about all the sororities that exist?

Alpha Psi Omega.

http://www.alphapsiomega.org/

The "casts" are the chapters. You can search the site to find out if there's a cast at your daughter's school.

AlphaFrog 10-12-2007 10:23 AM

Phi Beta is also an all-encompassing (Theatre, Dance, Music) "Fine Arts" Fraternity.

SWTXBelle 10-12-2007 10:23 AM

I am a member of Alpha Psi Omega - feel free to pm me if you have any questions an old alumna can answer.

AlwaysSAI 10-12-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaFrog (Post 1536676)
Phi Beta is also an all-encompassing (Theatre, Dance, Music) "Fine Arts" Fraternity.

Phi Beta only has like 2 active collegiate chapters. They may be interested in extension.

KD Diamonds 10-12-2007 11:40 AM

Tell your daughter that there is no use in re-inventing the wheel. She can go through rush again.

33girl 10-12-2007 11:43 AM

If she wants to start a new sorority or a chapter of a sorority that specifically has to do with theatre, that's not "reinventing the wheel" - that's going in a completely different direction.

Glitter650 10-12-2007 11:47 AM

Really, there are no "general" steps to take to start an organization. A lot would have to do with the administration and the requirements they have at your dauthter's campus.
Most likely bringing an exisitng group to campus (if its NPC) is not REALLY an option, as the campus must first be open to extension.
There are a lot of threads about this. I really think though, that if this is something your daughter feels that strongly about, she she will (and should) find the information she needs on her own.

adpiucf 10-12-2007 12:54 PM

Starting a new organization on campus, whether one with Greek letters or not, is a huge undertaking that can detract many students from their true goal in college --> to excel scholastically, network and intern in their chosen field. It is possible to successfully start a new organization, but there are a considerable number of factors to consider in deciding "Is it worth it?"

Any student would be best served to think twice before starting a campus organization, and should instead look to existing organizations on the campus. Many times new students have not yet found their niche on campus, mainly because they haven't looked. Sorority recruitment is one avenue. Another or supplementary to sororities are pre-professional societies, honor societies, service clubs, or other special interest clubs.

To any student wanting to start a new organization: Take a full semester, if you can't wait an entire school year, to absorb the campus culture and to become acclimated to the new place and all it has to offer, before deciding to start something brand-new that may 1) already exist 2) exist in a slightly different yet complimentary way or 3) see if your interests change (as they do when you get to college and begin to explore the many opportunities available to you). You have 3-5 years ahead at this university, provided you are a traditional student, and I assure you that at some time, it is likely that this need has come up and been addressed, and has thrived or died due to the level of interest among other students on campus.

oceanwalker 10-12-2007 01:08 PM

Good Info

Wow, all, thanks so much for great and diverse information.

My daughter has spent a semester absorbing the campus life, and has friends who attend this college. I am concerned about her being taken away from her education with such an undertaking as starting a new sorority or bringing a new chapter of an existing sorority to this school.

I would love to hear more about your thoughts on this very topic, however. Please continue to post your thoughts on starting a new sorority, the challenges she'd face, the positives, negatives, etc. I asked her to consider APO (as that was my fraternity - co ed), but she really likes the idea of keeping it "theatre/drama" specific. She seems to have great ideas, and the advice I've given her is to put a business plan together and present it to the administration (on her free time).

I look forward to hearing more of your input, since it's you all that are so familiar with this subject, as I am not.

Keep up the hard work!

33girl 10-12-2007 01:17 PM

I'm an APO member too! :) (Ok...now I had to do math and realize that yes, there ARE female members of APO old enough to have college age kids. Yikes I feel old!!) I don't think she should start an APO chapter unless she really wants to be into the service component and that isn't being served on her campus.

As with anything else, the amount of effort a new chapter of any kind of group would take really depends on the members involved.

REE1993 10-12-2007 02:00 PM

If she is interested in a theatre group, why not just join or start a club? Especially if she wants to be part of a co-ed organization. Does it need have Greek letters in the name?

MaryAmanda 10-12-2007 06:17 PM

I agree with REE. Is there not already some sort of drama or performing arts group on campus with which she can affiliate? Even if she still wants to establish a GLO that's theatre-based later, she could make some good contacts that way and stir up interest with them.

Establishing a chapter of APO or any other service GLO is an entirely different animal. If her heart is in performing before serving, then don't try to force it on her.

Regardless, it sounds like your daughter is still fairly new to college and her campus in particular. She needs to settle in more before trying to start up something new; there still might be a niche she can fit in without having to dig out her own. :)