GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   News & Politics (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Harvard sports captains can no longer be in Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=217255)

AnotherKD 05-06-2016 06:52 PM

Harvard sports captains can no longer be in Greek Life
 
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ubs-greeklife/

"Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships."

But aren't many, if not all, sports teams single-gender? It should follow that if you're in a single-gender sport, you can't have the fellowships either... I know that's taking it far, but really?

Sciencewoman 05-06-2016 08:38 PM

That's just manipulative, judgmental, and mean.

FSUZeta 05-06-2016 09:07 PM

It's greekism.

honeychile 05-06-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2410156)
It's greekism.

For the win!

thetalady 05-07-2016 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherKD (Post 2410154)
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ubs-greeklife/

"Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships."

But aren't many, if not all, sports teams single-gender? It should follow that if you're in a single-gender sport, you can't have the fellowships either... I know that's taking it far, but really?

The difference is that the sports teams are recognized by the university.

33girl 05-07-2016 12:48 AM

As usual, mass LOL at Harvard decrying "exclusionary" organizations.

Tom Earp 05-07-2016 01:11 PM

I have come to the point, that Harvard sucks and self blown up by its self importance anymore.

Harvard seems to me that it is not "The Sparkling" school of absolute learning when other schools are equally as good! They profess to be The High and mighty of education! I would have much rather gone to any other school myself.

Just my rant, thank you!

FSUZeta 05-07-2016 01:22 PM

Tom, you are right. They were one of the first to be caught inflating their students grades.

Kevin 05-07-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2410160)
As usual, mass LOL at Harvard decrying "exclusionary" organizations.

--whilst they institute a further exclusionary policy..

Amy Kates 05-09-2016 02:09 PM

A joint statement by NPC, NIC NALFO and AFA regarding the Harvard policy:

https://www.npcwomen.org/resources/a...anizations.pdf

AnchorAlum 05-09-2016 02:21 PM

Completely misguided and over reactive response to an issue taken by Harvard. I hope the blowback continues to grow.

33girl 05-09-2016 05:53 PM

The first paragraph really doesn't make sense - they're not "sanctioning" students, they're denying opportunities. Those are two different things. Sanctioning would be suspending anyone who is a GLO member - as it is the only people affected are those trying for leadership positions and scholarships. The NALFO statement was much more coherent.

PhilTau 05-10-2016 01:44 PM

Harvard's real target here are the exclusive final clubs. From Harvard's perspective, the fraternities and sororities are (fairly or unfairly) included in this group. From my experience, Harvard's administration can be both stubborn and arrogant. Everybody whose done business with them knows this. I also suspect that every fraternity and sorority involved with Harvard knew this going in. For example, in its magazine, my wife's fraternity cannot even mention its chapter's Harvard association. There's just a blank. Harvard's rule.

So could being swept up in something like this really be a surprise to its national office? I'm not defending Harvard, but I cannot really disagree with Harvard's president:

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” ***** wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

"Privilege and exclusion" is what Harvard is trying to tramp down here. And don't expect Harvard to back off either. They didn't with gays in the military and other issues they think are important.

Tom Earp 05-10-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUZeta (Post 2410184)
Tom, you are right. They were one of the first to be caught inflating their students grades.


Funny how things work at a Super Ivy League school like Harvard.:o

They "TRY" to be so elite! Well to me they stepped down a rung or several down the ladder.

All one has to do is look at how many Presidents, Congress Men/Woman, Judges, and Heads Business there are.

While "Havard" acts like the were built on a strong foundation, its seem more like a foundation of clay!

So much for a School of Higher Learning!!

33girl 05-10-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilTau (Post 2410267)
Harvard's real target here are the exclusive final clubs. From Harvard's perspective, the fraternities and sororities are (fairly or unfairly) included in this group. From my experience, Harvard's administration can be both stubborn and arrogant. Everybody whose done business with them knows this. I also suspect that every fraternity and sorority involved with Harvard knew this going in. For example, in its magazine, my wife's fraternity cannot even mention its chapter's Harvard association. There's just a blank. Harvard's rule.

So could being swept up in something like this really be a surprise to its national office? I'm not defending Harvard, but I cannot really disagree with Harvard's president:

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” ***** wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

"Privilege and exclusion" is what Harvard is trying to tramp down here. And don't expect Harvard to back off either. They didn't with gays in the military and other issues they think are important.

The only way they will change their culture is to completely change their student body to one who has no interest in final clubs or similar societies. I don't think that will happen. Plus, national groups gladly put up with the crap to have a chapter at an Ivy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.