GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Fraternity Recruitment (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Too old to rush? (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=149636)

dapper_jay 06-28-2015 09:24 AM

Too old to rush?

I am going to be attending ASU and would like to rush a fraternity. I am in the military and by the time i get out ill be 25. Ive heard that some fraternities don't really care about the age thing, and that other will not even give you a shot. It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush but i feel like the brotherhood will really be a great payoff. I fell like i could be a good asset to the organization as far a leadership experience and maturity is concerned, and it would be jumping into another type of brotherhood. Thanks in advance.

33girl 06-28-2015 12:50 PM

Which ASU?

dapper_jay 06-28-2015 07:18 PM

arizona state

dapper_jay 07-10-2015 10:58 PM

bump

sigmagirl2000 07-11-2015 08:04 AM

Am I the only one who read this and thought "hmm.... will there be any fraternities left at ASU by the time this kid gets there? It very well be a non-issue"

SoCalGirl 07-11-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapper_jay (Post 2319130)
I am going to be attending ASU and would like to rush a fraternity. I am in the military and by the time i get out ill be 25. Ive heard that some fraternities don't really care about the age thing, and that other will not even give you a shot. It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush but i feel like the brotherhood will really be a great payoff. I fell like i could be a good asset to the organization as far a leadership experience and maturity is concerned, and it would be jumping into another type of brotherhood. Thanks in advance.

I've heard of "older" men joining fraternities more often than it happens in sororities. So yes, you have a shot.

I'll be honest though and tell you that this gave me pause, "It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush". If you become a brother you're likely going to have chapter officers, heck maybe even advisors, who are younger than you. Some recent alums may be jerks and try to give you a hard time too.

How will you feel about that and how do you think you'll handle it? It's not too different than when your senior officer is younger than you in that for the most part you'll just have to deal with it. But you're not expected to actually like and be friends with your senior officer.

Just something to consider. Hopefully you find a brotherhood that's right for you and not full of guys who "talk down" to you during rush or later.

Good luck.

AZTheta 07-11-2015 01:03 PM

What SoCalGirl said - I didn't respond when OP first posted for that exact reason.

Look, the Greek system at ASU is in Big Big Trouble. You might want to do some research. My advice: go through rush and see what happens.