GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Kappa Kappa Gamma (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   T Shirt Etiquette Question... (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=132498)

akanderson 02-15-2013 11:41 AM

T-shirt Etiquette Question

My daughter is a freshman initiated KKG. We are taking a number of her pledge sisters on a spring break ski trip and thought about surprising them with a custom trip t shirt. What are the rules here? Is it ok to do, even tho it will not be an official house shirt? We were planning for it to just say KAPPA SKI TEAM, to avoid the whole "wearing of letters issue". (and, there is no official ski team). Comments appreciated!

angels&angles 02-15-2013 01:50 PM

As far as I know, that should be okay as long as there are no letters, but a Kappa would be better able to answer your question.

NutBrnHair 02-15-2013 02:05 PM

Just a guess, but they probably don't have a TM on "Kappa," but they probably do on "Kappa Kappa Gamma" and the Greek letters "ΚΚΓ"

alum 02-15-2013 02:13 PM

Kappas can wear the greek letters as pledges but cannot wear the crest until after initiation.

sigmagirl10 02-15-2013 02:32 PM

Regarding a trademark on the letters or written-out name, if you are purchasing the shirts from a licensed seller of Greek apparel (they display a seal on the site or in store) that shouldn't be a problem.

adpiucf 02-15-2013 02:39 PM

Don't do it.

Shellfish 02-15-2013 02:50 PM

I don't understand why my post about its being exclusionary was deleted.

amIblue? 02-15-2013 03:08 PM

There's no problem with what you're proposing from a Kappa rules standpoint, but I could definitely foresee some resentment issues among those sisters who weren't invited. If it were me, I'd leave Kappa out of it just to avoid post spring break drama for your daughter and her friends. YMMV.

MysticCat 02-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amIblue? (Post 2203778)
. . . but I could definitely foresee some resentment issues among those sisters who weren't invited.

This.

SydneyK 02-15-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellfish (Post 2203773)
I don't understand why my post about its being exclusionary was deleted.

Your post wasn't singled out: all of the posts in the original thread were lost when the two threads were merged. At least, that's how it appeared to me.

FWIW, I agree with Shellfish and amIblue?. While I think it's a sweet gesture, I personally would avoid combining Kappa and the ski trip. Do one or the other (a Kappa shirt or a ski trip shirt), but not a Kappa Ski Trip shirt.

PenguinTrax 02-15-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SydneyK (Post 2203785)
Your post wasn't singled out: all of the posts in the original thread were lost when the two threads were merged. At least, that's how it appeared to me.

FWIW, I agree with Shellfish and amIblue?. While I think it's a sweet gesture, I personally would avoid combining Kappa and the ski trip. Do one or the other (a Kappa shirt or a ski trip shirt), but not a Kappa Ski Trip shirt.

I am so sorry for those deletions. It happened when I moved the thread to the Kappa forum. Mea culpa! Please feel free to repost your response to her-there was nothing wrong with any of your replies!

akanderson 02-15-2013 08:44 PM

Ok, totally see your point! There is an older group of girls going to the beach who designed a shirt - BUT they DID include all the girls if they wanted to order one. Since I am not up to taking on that task, we'll change our plan. Thanks for your replies.

Would love to have been able to take all 70+ new members along with us! Every Kappa girl we've met has been darling.

adpiucf 02-15-2013 09:45 PM

How about a "Ski Trip 2013" in their colors with a cleverly incorporated symbol like a skiing owl or something with a fleur de lis? That is more subtle.

NutBrnHair 02-16-2013 12:03 PM

I'm getting a little too excited about Kappa Shirts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by adpiucf (Post 2203828)
How about a "Ski Trip 2013" in their colors with a cleverly incorporated symbol like a skiing owl or something with a fleur de lis? That is more subtle.

Ooo, I love that idea, dark blue/light blue shirts and the fleur de lis could dot the "i" in Ski Trip!

adpiucf 02-16-2013 12:19 PM

Or a fleur de lis could be a stylized "1" in 2013.