GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   An Idea (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=16465)

tcsparky 03-28-2002 10:50 AM

An Idea

OK, I had a lot of time on my hands this morning while supervising a test. The idea popped into my head a while ago, and when I checked GC this morning, I was unable to resist working it out. The idea began generating as a result of Wishinhopin's posts about founding her org, and a conversation I had with another GCer about starting a local. Also, I had to renew my membership to a professional org, and I have been reading BrooklineU's stories. I got to thinking about the meanings of symbols, the purposes the different types of orgs fullfill (social, service, honorary, etc...), and whether or not I am creative enough to have developed an org had I ever had the chance or the need.
So this is my idea: Take it seriously or not, the choice is yours!!!!!

GammaChi
The Greekchat International Co-Ed Internet Fraternity
Founder : John Hammel, Tresa Cummins
Headquarters : Virtual Reality
Symbol : silver mouse
Mascot : Starfish
Colors Blue and brown
Purpose To forward the communication of Greek ideals, and promote the vision of Greek
unity, throughout the world.

Philanthropy Each member should choose a cause close to his/her heart that will better the
community in which he/she lives.

Motto Sharing common themes from around the world.
Flower Wildflowers
Jewel (precious metal) : the silicon chip
Badge gold starfish on a blue enamel background, with the Greek letters Gamma and Chi superimposed in the center
of the starfish

Who is eligible for membership Any registered Greekchatter who is interested in furthering
Greek communication, who has 50 or more posts, or membership in Greekchat of at least six months. Applications will be accepted and evaluated by the membership committee. Membership in another Greek org is NOT required.
Members may have dual membership in Gamma Chi and any NPC/NPHC/IFC, local, honorary, professional, or service org.

tridelta4ever 03-28-2002 11:14 AM

Really creative, cute idea TCSparky!!!! :)

KillarneyRose 03-28-2002 11:27 AM

What a terrific idea and it really helps promote unity among greeks and those interested in greekdom! I especially love the jewel :)

Hootie 03-28-2002 04:06 PM

I dunno ! That whole "silver mouse" scares me he he he! Just Kiddin'! Sounds like a neat idea!

Hootie

GreekLetterGirl 03-28-2002 04:41 PM

That sounds like a really cute idea. I hope it takes off I would be interested...

josh8o 03-28-2002 04:52 PM

wow, that sounds great. keep me posted.

Tom Earp 03-28-2002 04:56 PM

Sparky, what a hoot! What a great idea! Can I be a Charter member!:) :D

Damn, you must have been board with some time on your hands! Not as a teacher!:D

Peaches-n-Cream 03-28-2002 04:56 PM

Good idea! GC

FuzzieAlum 03-28-2002 05:29 PM

That is so adorable! And I like that its colors, etc. don't look too much like any one particular fraternity's or sorority's!

HeidiHo 03-28-2002 05:36 PM

How cute. What a neat idea.
H

ansturge 03-28-2002 05:54 PM

Cool Beans!!

let's do it

I am all about trying something new

SigkapAlumWSU 03-28-2002 06:05 PM

That's a really creative idea! I love it!

pandarose18 03-28-2002 06:06 PM

GREAT IDEA!!! Kudos for your creativity!

greeklawgirl 03-28-2002 06:07 PM

Very cute idea! :)

tcsparky 03-28-2002 08:26 PM

Thank you for the support..

:) Thank you for all of the support. I'm glad you like the idea. Keep the suggestions coming, I'll keep adding to the composite.

Yes, Tom, indeed I ended up with some time on my hands:) . I had to supervise a standardized test, which means I was only there as a presence, I couldn't help anyone. My mind was free to work, since my mouth and hands had to be quiet.

Sigrid, I forgot about HQ and the founder....Those both are excellent suggestions. I will go back and edit them in. And if John can tell us the date he started the forum, we can have a founding date.

I got the idea for the colors by looking at a globe on the shelf in my classroom. The water was dark blue and the continents were a khaki/brown color. I didn't even think to check to see if another org was using them, because they came from one of the premises of my idea, that we are a global community.

The idea for the silver mouse (computer mouse, in case I confused anyone) came from a teacher's magazine. It is intended to be given to a teacher as an award for service with the person's name engraved on it. I think it really functions. It seemed appropriate. We coudn't communicate without our mice!

I think the badge may need to be changed. The Greek letters would show up better if they were on the blue enamel instead of gold letters on a gold starfish.

Don't YOU ever wonder when you are out and about if someone that you meet or see on the street is a GCer? If we all had discreet Gamma Chi nalia, we could recognize each other instantly, even in a crowded airport or shopping mall. Anyway, those who are interested - let's do it!!!!!!!:)