GreekChat.com Forums

GreekChat.com Forums (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/index.php)
-   Greek Life (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Houses" v. "Chapters" / "Sororities" (http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=118931)

psy 03-17-2011 11:46 PM

"Houses" v. "Chapters" / "Sororities"

I know it's generally considered incorrect to refer to chapters on a campus as "houses" (e.g., "the other houses are doing X..." or "what house did you join?") for a number of reasons, but try as panhell did during recruitment to have everyone call them "chapters," everyone at my alma marter still said "houses," if just due to force of habit. I think part of it is that all of the current chapters at my alma marter are housed and have been in their current houses for at least 60-ish years (some for more than 90 years), so ABC's house is very much "the ABC house," historically. That, and most, if not all, of the houses were built specifically to house their current chapter.

I'm curious as to what people say/said at other campuses, particularly those with at least some housed chapters, and if chapters are ever called "houses" even at schools without sorority houses (I don't really see why they would be, but who knows?).

AOII Angel 03-17-2011 11:53 PM

We were not housed and were not called houses. We called ourselves chapters/ sororities. We did have a sorority dorm and each chapter had a wing that was decorated in our sorority colors, etc. We had a chapter room, kitchen, office, community bathroom and ritual closet. About 10 rooms housing two women each were on the halls on the bottom floors (housing AOII and Phi Mu.) I don't know if KD and Sigma Kappa had as many rooms.

When I was advising at Towson, I did hear people referring to the chapters as "houses" even though they were not housed in any way. I think this probably is related to UMD being nearby where all the chapters are housed. I could be wrong, though. Where is seeingstars?

Smile_Awhile 03-18-2011 12:08 AM

We call them houses on my campus too. We have meeting houses, but there is no living space connected to them.

Interestingly, my cousin's chapter has a single room in a sorority "building" of sorts- and consequently, she refers to things as "in the room" when referring to things that go on in her chapter. That one has always rung odd to my ear.

honeychile 03-18-2011 12:17 AM

Pitt has one sorority house (now, they used to have two), and the rest either have a floor in Amos Hall (the sorority dorm) or a suite in a nearby dorm.

When I was there, we called all of the sororities "chapters". Now, they call all of them "houses". I think the change may have started as wishful thinking, but since Pitt completely remodeled the sorority dorm, it's wonderful.

AnotherKD 03-18-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2039238)
Pitt has one sorority house (now, they used to have two), and the rest either have a floor in Amos Hall (the sorority dorm) or a suite in a nearby dorm.

When I was there, we called all of the sororities "chapters". Now, they call all of them "houses". I think the change may have started as wishful thinking, but since Pitt completely remodeled the sorority dorm, it's wonderful.

Hope they also got a new elevator! That thing was a death trap!

agzg 03-18-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2039238)

The Kappas still have their house, right?

AnotherKD 03-18-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agzg (Post 2039268)
The Kappas still have their house, right?

Yup, that's the one. When Kappa Alpha Theta left campus, they gave up the house.

agzg 03-18-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherKD (Post 2039269)
Yup, that's the one. When Kappa Alpha Theta left campus, they gave up the house.

It's weird. One of my good friends was their "house mom" when she was in grad school - on the weekends that she needed to be out of town I usually stayed as the "designated security alarm setter and fire alarm puller."

KSUViolet06 03-18-2011 10:08 AM

At my school, all chapters are housed but we still say "chapter" as in "when is your chapter having informal recruitment?"

AGDee 03-18-2011 11:28 AM

Calling chapters "houses" is a pet peeve of mine. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does :) Just one of those things.

33girl 03-18-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGDee (Post 2039299)
Calling chapters "houses" is a pet peeve of mine. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does :) Just one of those things.

Because it is in effect saying that the physical structure is the most important part of the chapter, or that the chapter would not exist without the physical structure, neither of which are the truth.

We said:
"What fraternity is he in?"
"I had 3 chapters left on pref night."
"ASA is the best sorority."
"Let's go to the party at the Delta Chi house."

Most fraternities and sororities had off-campus houses with letters on them.

honeychile 03-18-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherKD (Post 2039269)

I thought it was being rented by the University. I think it's a multi-cultural house now. It was such a big deal to share a duplex with KKG, I can't see them giving it up completely - but it certainly could have been.

ta kala 03-18-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeychile (Post 2039308)
I thought it was being rented by the University. I think it's a multi-cultural house now. It was such a big deal to share a duplex with KKG, I can't see them giving it up completely - but it certainly could have been.

Does Kappa not fill it anymore? When I was there, Kappa members filled both sides of it.

AGDee 03-18-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33girl (Post 2039305)
Because it is in effect saying that the physical structure is the most important part of the chapter, or that the chapter would not exist without the physical structure, neither of which are the truth.

We said:
"What fraternity is he in?"
"I had 3 chapters left on pref night."
"ASA is the best sorority."
"Let's go to the party at the Delta Chi house."

Most fraternities and sororities had off-campus houses with letters on them.

That's how we used it also. I thought maybe I was overly sensitive to calling them "houses" because we were unhoused on my campus most of the time. But you're right, a house is a physical place, a chapter is a group of women/men.

ETA: We were even asked by some snobby girls from a different chapter of AGD whether we were "still homeless" when we ran into them while shopping (wearing letters). Yeah, homeless.. right.

Benzgirl 03-18-2011 09:20 PM

Ohio State calls them houses. The non-housed school that I work with calls them houses or sororities. They never use chapter.